fully voxel stars ?

Hisshadow

Would be so awesome to get fully voxel stars?  so we could siphon power off them...  or after a supernova go back in and with the strongeset of armors sample the core of the neutron star..  

if planets had a voxel molten core... it would be possible thru mining or tunneling.. or beam weapons from space to punch holes down to it releasing the lava voxels...  it could change pressure and raise volcano's on the planets surface

if you can provide the most realistic galaxy ever,  in voxels..  then i think the players can handle the building for you.

Very very very very very unlikely.

1) stars are big, damn big, that means damn many voxels

2) stars are fluid/gaseous, that means every "hole" you create with mining would have to be closed automatically with new voxels while at the same time the voxels of the outer hull have to be removed, that means a very high amount of calculations for everyone "mining" the star.

What's the point?

Would be so awesome to get fully voxel stars?  so we could siphon power off them...  or after a supernova go back in and with the strongeset of armors sample the core of the neutron star..  

if planets had a voxel molten core... it would be possible thru mining or tunneling.. or beam weapons from space to punch holes down to it releasing the lava voxels...  it could change pressure and raise volcano's on the planets surface

if you can provide the most realistic galaxy ever,  in voxels..  then i think the players can handle the building for you.

Sounds like it will be incredibly laggy trying to simulate a very complex mechanic such as fluid simulation. 

The question I would ask is, Would hundreds of playing all viewing this data simultaneously in the same area whilst such a cataclysmic event took place, would that be possible to simulate server wise? I'm already just skeptical on the fluid 100's of players in ships already. Time will tell. 

What's the point?

Sounds like it will be incredibly laggy trying to simulate a very complex mechanic such as fluid simulation. 

The question I would ask is, Would hundreds of playing all viewing this data simultaneously in the same area whilst such a cataclysmic event took place, would that be possible to simulate server wise? I'm already just skeptical on the fluid 100's of players in ships already. Time will tell. 

Unigine already supports complex Fluid Simulation:

The issue is whether or not that can be broken up to scale across multiple servers using the network sharding that NQ has developed. Although I realize the topic of fluids here has more to do with stars than planetary fluids like water.

However, I don't think there are many pieces of non-supercomputer software out there that can simulate the fluid dynamics of an entire star. I just don't see it being very feasible in Dual Universe either. 

That does raise the question of how interacting with gaseous planets will work though...

Unigine already supports complex Fluid Simulation:

The issue is whether or not that can be broken up to scale across multiple servers using the network sharding that NQ has developed. Although I realize the topic of fluids here has more to do with stars than planetary fluids like water.

However, I don't think there are many pieces of non-supercomputer software out there that can simulate the fluid dynamics of an entire star. I just don't see it being very feasible in Dual Universe either. 

That does raise the question of how interacting with gaseous planets will work though...

Supporting fluid mechanics and supporting voxel fluid mechanics on a multi-instance server are 2 differnt beast. 

You will have to rework your calculations with every change made to the voxel structure. And you also have to determine the state of all the voxels in the structure as it is ever changing. 

Imagine having to determine every time a voxel is removed, which block replaces it, and the cascade effect that would cause as it is another update. NQ decided not to have gravity effects when removing the earth from a planet due to similar issues with calculating the effect. Water will be worse as it can flow in the horizontal as well as vertical directions. 

Personally I think if we get too close to a star that the gravity should pull us in slowly in a giant spiral around the star for 5-10 minutes. All the while melting/disintegrating the ships hull and damaging the contents inside (including people) to an untimely death.

My opinion on stars and black holes. RESPECT THEM!

Personally I think if we get too close to a star that the gravity should pull us in slowly in a giant spiral around the star for 5-10 minutes. All the while melting/disintegrating the ships hull and damaging the contents inside (including people) to an untimely death.

My opinion on stars and black holes. RESPECT THEM!

So... can we harvest negative matter? And I don't mean DARK MATTER. or ANTI-MATTER people. So, negative matter, which we could hurl with a mass driver into the star and watch it as it turn into a neutron star, possibly uttering the line "I have become Death, PKer of PK itself" and then laugh manically as the nearby planets get to experience a slow death? (I know it's far-fetched >_>)

Id see a star more as a gas giant than a liquid since it's surface is Constantly being radiated outward

Water effects could be cool though then you could exploit that with gravity generators and amplifiers

Antimatter would probably be a byproduct of very large power generators or even warp drives would be something like waste if you didn't need it, you would collect it out of your engines daily or without thatbequipment flush it into space

Ergh.  Real science combined with technobabble combined with in-game voxel stars?  My head is swimming already.  Keep in mind a voxel shape and size could be a large as an in-game sun without it being more than 1 voxel space.  How the Unity 2 engine handles the display of that is unknown to me.  But even if it were just 1 voxel space it could allow for interaction with other voxel shapes or elements that simulate "mining" or harvesting the star in some way without taking away from it in any real sense.  Just the way a planet made with voxels can have the property of gravity.  A voxel star could have properties like energy and materials.  You could then build a ship with a ram scoop element for instance and collect energy or other resources (Hydrogen, lots, and lots of hydrogen) once you came within a certain distance of the star.  With this method, you can even give it other interesting effects like solar and magnetic winds.  Forces that will only move a solar or mag sail element attached to a ship and has diminishing returns the further away you go (solar sails) or works at full efficiency but has an absolute limit before it ceases to work (mag sails).  I have no opinion on how exotic particles we know about only in theory and conjecture should work.