Whats about fully destructible Planets/Stars?

Azrael

Will it be possible to destruct Planets/Stars ?

Just think about it how great this would be .

Of course it should be realy hard/costly to destruct a complete Planet with massive weapons but i think it would be a great Feature. Just imagine how your weapons shoot a big Plasma sphere to the planet and it burst on the surface of the planet.

Another thing what I was thinking about is if I start to bombard a Planet which effect will have this to the Environment.

I mean after 1000 of Plasma Impacts on a planet this cant be healthy.

So what do you think about that ?

Will it be possible to destruct Planets/Stars ?

Just think about it how great this would be .

Of course it should be realy hard/costly to destruct a complete Planet with massive weapons but i think it would be a great Feature. Just imagine how your weapons shoot a big Plasma sphere to the planet and it burst on the surface of the planet.

Another thing what I was thinking about is if I start to bombard a Planet which effect will have this to the Environment.

I mean after 1000 of Plasma Impacts on a planet this cant be healthy.

So what do you think about that ?

Nyz has commented saying there will be positional damage on constructs and I see no reason why this wouldn't transfer over to the voxels belonging to a planet, and it has been said that you can mine/destroy everything on the planet, other than the places that are protected by arksites or potentially alien ruins (not sure what the monoliths will be though).

So What I think is that yes, you could destroy a planet, give that the devs create a weapon element powerful enough to do it, or that you have enough time. And yes if you bombard a specific area on a planet it will take damage unless protected.

Although I'm not sure about the planet destroying weapons. What if there is only 1 TU / Arksite on the planet and you use this weapon, does the entire of the planet blow up and leave this chunk of planet floating, does this weapon bypass arksites, what happens if you target a arksite with it ?... If it is just a really powerful weapon and leaves big craters in the ground I don't have anything against it, but a whole planet destroying weapon could be both really horrible for the people on the receiving end of it, or the people who are unlucky to be placed on the planet. They will lose everything.

I don't think a really expensive build cost would create any balance out of a weapon like this, because it would allow the massive corporations to just eradicate anyone who stands in their way who doesn't have a Arkified TU to protect them.

Planet Destroying Weapons I Vote: No

Really Powerful Weapons that leave big Craters I Vote: Yes (In moderation)

nora,

Hi Azrael,

Just a small clarification: you propose to destroy the surface of planets, right ? Not the planet itself ?

Because, in the later case, it would be hard to have protected territories if the planet is destroyed (see Arkification subjects) :).

Regards,

Shadow

Hi Azrael,

Just a small clarification: you propose to destroy the surface of planets, right ? Not the planet itself ?

Because, in the later case, it would be hard to have protected territories if the planet is destroyed (see Arkification subjects) :).

Regards,

Shadow

Both depends on the fire power :D

But as Nora already said.

Nyz has commented saying there will be positional damage on constructs and I see no reason why this wouldn't transfer over to the voxels belonging to a planet, and it has been said that you can mine/destroy everything on the planet, other than the places that are protected by arksites or potentially alien ruins (not sure what the monoliths will be though).

So What I think is that yes, you could destroy a planet, give that the devs create a weapon element powerful enough to do it, or that you have enough time. And yes if you bombard a specific area on a planet it will take damage unless protected.

Although I'm not sure about the planet destroying weapons. What if there is only 1 TU / Arksite on the planet and you use this weapon, does the entire of the planet blow up and leave this chunk of planet floating, does this weapon bypass arksites, what happens if you target a arksite with it ?... If it is just a really powerful weapon and leaves big craters in the ground I don't have anything against it, but a whole planet destroying weapon could be both really horrible for the people on the receiving end of it, or the people who are unlucky to be placed on the planet. They will lose everything.

I don't think a really expensive build cost would create any balance out of a weapon like this, because it would allow the massive corporations to just eradicate anyone who stands in their way who doesn't have a Arkified TU to protect them.

Planet Destroying Weapons I Vote: No

Really Powerful Weapons that leave big Craters I Vote: Yes (In moderation)

nora,

It would be horrible for the people on the receiving end of it, or the people who are unlucky to be placed on the planet. They will lose everything.

But i still would love this Feature, there was another Topic about planet moving with engines, like in planetary Annihilation, but what happend if i move the planet into the sun :D

Of course this Feature have to be carefully balanced and we have to speak about defence of the planet against such weapons. But Who said that the weapon have to be so powerfull.

Let us think about what Nora said : Really Powerful Weapons that leave big Craters I Vote: Yes (In Moderation)

What happen if I shoot with such a weapon to the same Point again and again and again?

Hey there is a tactical side to this that is not inherently hostile. I'm out exploring and I find a star system with only one and that's habitable. I wanna build an outpost here for its strategic position, or maybe for asteroids. Well once found the planet is likely to be colonized. So I blow it up (maybe creating more asteroids) and now the system looks barren and useless so explorers move on

Hey there is a tactical side to this that is not inherently hostile. I'm out exploring and I find a star system with only one and that's habitable. I wanna build an outpost here for its strategic position, or maybe for asteroids. Well once found the planet is likely to be colonized. So I blow it up (maybe creating more asteroids) and now the system looks barren and useless so explorers move on

You are watching this from the explorers/builders side. For some people it´s surely fun to destroy a planet with all builds and persons on it.

As I said before: If the builders won´t get enough protection and support - they will leave the game.

This game will probably live because of the communities creations. If the builders are fed up and leave - only the "destroyers" will be left. Then the game mutates from exploration, colonialization and building to fighting (only) and that would be very sad.

Of course, the "destroyers" should have thier fun but don´t make it too easy for them. Building/creating is much more time intense and the work of all the builders should be protected somehow.

Don´t support the space terrorism!

Hi everyone,

As said in another topic, technically anything on the planet is destructible (except what is built in safe areas).

However, there is also some gameplay balancing concerns.

It would be horrible for the people on the receiving end of it, or the people who are unlucky to be placed on the planet. They will lose everything.

This sentence sums up the problem.

+ the fact that having safe zones would be pointless.

So the clear answer is no, there won't be weapons powerful enough to destroy planets.

And yes it will be possible to destroy anything on a planet surface that isn't in a safe area (assuming the agressor has the means to destroy the defensive measures put in place).

Best regards,

Nyzaltar.

Hi everyone,

As said in another topic, technically anything on the planet is destructible (except what is built in safe areas).

However, there is also some gameplay balancing concerns.

This sentence sums up the problem.

+ the fact that having safe zones would be pointless.

So the clear answer is no, there won't be weapons powerful enough to destroy planets.

And yes it will be possible to destroy anything on a planet surface that isn't in a safe area (assuming the agressor has the means to destroy the defensive measures put in place).

Best regards,

Nyzaltar.

Azreal got the credit for my sentence.... :( *Sad Face*...

This brings up another thing I've been meaning to make a proper thread about but keep forgetting.

What about world/universe events. Will the Devs be doing anything that the entire world/universe has to cooperate on to stop/win/build ?

Just thinking about this topic about planets being destroyed and the like, what if there was some universe event that would destroy the planet unless the players in the universe stopped it ?

Like a GIANT asteroid slowly floating towards Alioth or another planet, since it would be destructible, we would have to attack it or mine it down to size before it hit, otherwise 'poof' goes Alioth/planet.

What about a situation like that?

Would that be an allowable situation to destroy a planet, if the devs are thinking about universe events?

nora,

/snip/

What about world/universe events. Will the Devs be doing anything that the entire world/universe has to cooperate on to stop/win/build ?

Just thinking about this topic about planets being destroyed and the like, what if there was some universe event that would destroy the planet unless the players in the universe stopped it ?

Like a GIANT asteroid slowly floating towards Alioth or another planet, since it would be destructible, we would have to attack it or mine it down to size before it hit, otherwise 'poof' goes Alioth/planet.

What about a situation like that?

Would that be an allowable situation to destroy a planet, if the devs are thinking about universe events?

https://board.dualthegame.com/index.php?/topic/381-macroscopic-events/

I see no reason to destroy an entire planet, it's a complete waste of harvestable resources. I mean, biological resources are much more rare than metals, gas or liquids.

But in an endless universe there's infinite biological resources.

Besides a lone wanted man could be hiding on a barren planet and you have to hunt him down. I don't wanna have to search the whole planet. I'd much rather blow it up.

There are a whole host of problems that come with including planet busters in the game.  However, if

- planets with an ASA are immune

- planets with an arkified territory (if these are implemented) are immune

- they require enough power sources that they would literally cover a continent

- they require enough fuel to literally fill an ocean for a single shot

- the game is at an advanced stage where there are hundreds of thousands of players in the game at any one time

- it is easy to install planetary defenses that would block a shot

then I think you can implement them  B)

I see no reason to destroy an entire planet, it's a complete waste of harvestable resources. I mean, biological resources are much more rare than metals, gas or liquids.

That's only if you take into account what we know from reality and the planets we've found in our range of view. After 10,000 years FTL (in a game) there could be solar systems of just pure biological life and what not. 

Not pointed at you, but there are a lot of people applying what we think we know about the universe from out single point of reality and seem to forget that this is a game that's 10,050 years in the future and that much distance away at FTL speeds. We could have anything, especially if the onboard AI has be researching all the time to give us stuff..

nora,

I see a problem catering to people's Dark Side. Inevitably a large if not major segment of the population will congregate in one area because of the immensity of the universe, making trade, transport, building and socializing practical - this has happened in Elite, EVE and will likely happen in the DU universe as well. If players start blowing up planets in an area inhabited by a majority of players then this space becomes uninhabitable and everyone virtually has to start all over again. Of  course colonies will spring up on distant worlds and could be a refuge but the Dark Side is everywhere - eventually populations of distant worlds would also have to leave and this would be repeated ad nauseam. The end result would be refugees wondering the Galaxy trying to escape certain doom. That would kind of suck though great for those in the business of building. Personally I think DU doesn't have to turn to the Dark Side; destroying areas of a planet is dark enough - and still good for business.  ;)

I would rather DU place emphasis on building and exploring. Also I am wondering if Terraforming will be a thing because I would love to find a suitable planet to Terraform. Or possibly build my own secluded base somewhere that is shielded from attack....within limits. Which I think is preferrable than safe areas because it frees up an entire planet. Besides, if planets are dynamic as pictures reveal, safe areas may not be particularly nice to inhabit. Imagine building in a forested area, on an island or high up on the cliffs reminiscent of Naboo. Now that would be something! Of course there is a little Dark Side in all of us but hopefully the DEVs will be able to find the balance that works for everyone one - well, for most anyway.   :rolleyes:

Azreal got the credit for my sentence.... :( *Sad Face*...

This brings up another thing I've been meaning to make a proper thread about but keep forgetting.

Maybe the devs could declare an uninhabited planet to a danger zone. Planet will explode soon. If you have the instruments to calculate the point of explosion (crafting experience) you will get a timer.

During the phase of becoming instable the players can find the most/best/valuable recources. But don´t stay too long because you have to escape that giant explosion alive!

Something like this would be a great "serverwide event" in my opinion. And you could keep the universe alive while creating supernovae and gamma-rays. And if a star dies, a new one will be born...

Maybe the devs could declare an uninhabited planet to a danger zone. Planet will explode soon. If you have the instruments to calculate the point of explosion (crafting experience) you will get a timer.

During the phase of becoming instable the players can find the most/best/valuable recources. But don´t stay too long because you have to escape that giant explosion alive!

Something like this would be a great "serverwide event" in my opinion. And you could keep the universe alive while creating supernovae and gamma-rays. And if a star dies, a new one will be born...

Don't forget black holes, everyone likes a good black hole, especially one that sucks in things and destroys them or crushes them.. you could get locked in the gravity field of a black hole and have to try to power out of it and stuff, lure people into the gravity field of one by a sneaky star gate outside or something.. :)

nora,

Sorry for tagging this on given planets and/or stars  already provide a lot to chew on (I know, it's not just a matter of chewing.  :P ), but what about moons? Perhaps there is a middle ground where the destruction of moons could effect a planet but not entirely destroy it. Of course it sounds like a difficult challenge for any engine, but I can't help but think how cool it would be to look up from the planet and see a partially destroyed moon similar to the movie Oblivion. 

Sorry for tagging this on given planets and/or stars  already provide a lot to chew on (I know, it's not just a matter of chewing.  :P ), but what about moons? Perhaps there is a middle ground where the destruction of moons could effect a planet but not entirely destroy it. Of course it sounds like a difficult challenge for any engine, but I can't help but think how cool it would be to look up from the planet and see a partially destroyed moon similar to the movie Oblivion. 

It would be cool, but I dont know if it will happen, not in the near future. I would assume moons would be of the same construct type as planets. 

Now as it was said, you can essentially destroy a planet, but bombarding its surface over and over until you destroy all the pieces. But as far as something that cracks it open and sends pieces flying in all directions, that seems to be a no for now. 

However I do hope that asteroids are constructed differently and allow you to move and destroy them, even use them to crater a planet. I'm going to find a planet with dinosaurs and attempt to recreate earth. 

It would be cool, but I dont know if it will happen, not in the near future. I would assume moons would be of the same construct type as planets. 

Now as it was said, you can essentially destroy a planet, but bombarding its surface over and over until you destroy all the pieces. But as far as something that cracks it open and sends pieces flying in all directions, that seems to be a no for now. 

However I do hope that asteroids are constructed differently and allow you to move and destroy them, even use them to crater a planet. I'm going to find a planet with dinosaurs and attempt to recreate earth. 

Yeah....engine technology is probably not quite there yet....but sure would add some immersion and cool game play.  It really boggles the mind to think what might be done in the next 20 years. 

Yeah....engine technology is probably not quite there yet....but sure would add some immersion and cool game play.  It really boggles the mind to think what might be done in the next 20 years. 

Next 20years you could be inside the game like the matrix, and doing all the destroying and flying around yourself.

Think of 20years ago mobile phones were almost non-existent and now everyone has one, it's more likely that the people who don't have a mobile phone are non-existent now, and think of how much better they are now compared to then.

I totally think it is possible within the next 20 years to have some form of matrix/SAO style game where you control the game with your mind and are inside virtual reality and such. IBM has started making a VRMMORPG based on SAO with forcefeedback and such so it feels like your touching the objects inside the game.

But yeah, that was slightly off topic, but to think about the moons situation maybe they are not planet type constructs, when you think about it they are going to be smaller and in the high chance that they are not habitable, so they could be a asteroid type and movable and such. Although we don't know anything other than planets will not be movable but asteroids we still don't know yet.

Would be nice to have though, imagine hollowing out a moon and moving it around like a death star, and people confusing it as a moon, mining through it to see if there are resources and eventually opening up into a very powerful fortress in the middle..

Even if we can't do that, I've just got the whole nerd'shakes from thinking to much about DU.

ha...

nora,