INTRODUCING THE NEW DU MESH EXPORTER!

NQ-Nyota

MeshExporter.jpg

Noveans, 

We are pleased to announce that our DU Mesh Exporter will be available for Dual Universe on Wednesday, March 20th, 2024!

The DU Mesh Exporter has been a top feature request and it will give all Noveans the ability to export their creations and builds from Dual Universe into a 3D file, which you will then be able to save as well as print in 3D! 

That’s right, you will be able to save your ships or constructs into a 3D file and once it’s printed (which 3D printing company you use  is entirely up to you) you can then put your creation(s) on your desk or window or it can be a really expensive toy for your cat to play with (cat is optional).

More details about the DU Mesh Exporter will be available on March 20th, 2024, so time to polish up those ships/constructs in preparation for exporting and printing. 

Here are some examples of already exported models to give you a glimpse at what can be printed:

03.jpg

02.jpg

01.jpg

:)

Finally, waited a long time for that.`I will use a Liquid Resin printer, to get really smooth surfaces. And then paint and weather all surfaces that are not transparent.

QUESTIONS

I assume, the blueprint will be used for the export, is that correct?

will the STL files also contain the ship interior? That would be the best, as then we can use transparent plastic for the 3D print, maybe even separating different areas (like a plastic model kit) and painting some areas before assembling all 3D-printed parts.! Can the 3D export contain interior to enable really cool 3D printed ships later on

Edited by Hirnsausen

10 hours ago, Hirnsausen said:

Finally, waited a long time for that.`I will use a Liquid Resin printer, to get really smooth surfaces. And then paint and weather all surfaces that are not transparent.

QUESTIONS

I assume, the blueprint will be used for the export, is that correct?

will the STL files also contain the ship interior? That would be the best, as then we can use transparent plastic for the 3D print, maybe even separating different areas (like a plastic model kit) and painting some areas before assembling all 3D-printed parts.! Can the 3D export contain interior to enable really cool 3D printed ships later on

The feature name suggests that the entire mesh would be exported, to include interior walls at the least.  The example images also imply that components will be included in the mesh.  Not sure if the stair stepping in the speeder is due to the scale of the ship or settings in the print.

5 hours ago, Necormax said:

I am happy you didn't start this topic 2 weeks later. :) Can't wait to play with this on my resin printer.

Oh nice! Be sure to take some photos of what you print out. :)

• 4 weeks later...

@NQ-Nyota I noticed there's an glTF option to export the constructs in, which is awesome!

I've been looking at ways to work with those files so they have matching colors to what was originally in-game, to avoid doing it by hand, and while it seems to work well for the voxels/honeycomb, I've noticed the elements share some material with the rest of the mesh. Here's an example of two blueprints I had in my inventory, one from a wreck and another from a personal project:

image.thumb.png.13fdc010371dff279c934754fd567862.png

The wreck looks good, the elements seem to have the same material as some gray parts from the ship (I think it's gray plastic), but the other one the elements seem to have got the same material as my lumin details, making it look really weird :P

Any chances we can at least have a separate material that doesn't map to any honeycomb for those elements, just so this doesn't happen?

On 4/13/2024 at 5:05 PM, Wolfram said:

@NQ-Nyota I noticed there's an glTF option to export the constructs in, which is awesome!

I've been looking at ways to work with those files so they have matching colors to what was originally in-game, to avoid doing it by hand, and while it seems to work well for the voxels/honeycomb, I've noticed the elements share some material with the rest of the mesh. Here's an example of two blueprints I had in my inventory, one from a wreck and another from a personal project:

image.thumb.png.13fdc010371dff279c934754fd567862.png

The wreck looks good, the elements seem to have the same material as some gray parts from the ship (I think it's gray plastic), but the other one the elements seem to have got the same material as my lumin details, making it look really weird :P

Any chances we can at least have a separate material that doesn't map to any honeycomb for those elements, just so this doesn't happen?

Hi Wolfram, 

I like that idea! I have forwarded your question over for review to see if it's possible. I'll let you know when I find out more. :)