Decay of Elements?

Honvik

With the massive influx of ore (JK we know it isnt and will be less) I do wonder if NQ will ever do a 'decay' where repairing reduces the overall element HP till it eventually break's over the 'lives' concept.  To me with use of items decay may work and thus a supply of components to replace would be needed.  (repair units can come into play more then).   Previous MMO's did that concept and worked well (Star Wars Galaxies)

I wish ppl would stop proposing ideas that create more pain to players. 

The inflow of ore was fixed in day one of beta. With NPCs buying ore. 

Some ppl with no experience in economy pressured NQ to remove it. 

The fix is to admit it was needed. Not to add more pain to an already painfull game.... 

This game current only has one thing that works reasonably well and players truly enjoy, and that is building. So it seems counter intuitive to want to tear that down.

And there already was a plan for a player driven economy with player driven markets and territory war. But as with many, many things NQ never got around to it. So now instead they degrade the game experience for everyone but the most hard core players, with quick to implement features.

Many, many moons ago, NQ told us about this great tech allowing them to "dirty up" or apply wear to voxel material.. One of the many good ideas that never went anywhere and just disappeared from the discussion.

By now, unless it can be done by adding a UI panel or minigame, it's not going to be something NQ can consider.

25 minutes ago, Jake Arver said:

By now, unless it can be done by adding a UI panel or minigame, it's not going to be something NQ can consider.

Very true. But what boggles the mind, is that NQ has been operating in that "quick patch" mindset not for months, but years..

I.e. there never was a master plan that they could follow to make a finished game, or alternatively the plan was such that they where unable to implement it.

How is anyone going to argue a point which really makes no sense in relation to OP?

Personally, I'd agree that wear and tear would add to the game, having repair actions build up wear over time and eventually no longer being possible  and requiring replacement woudl also be a good thing IMO.

I also expect NQ never provided for any of this in the game core and so will not ba able to make that a functional part of the game..

2 hours ago, CptLoRes said:

I.e. there never was a master plan that they could follow to make a finished game, or alternatively the plan was such that they where unable to implement it.

This is probably at the core of most of the shortcomings in the game, not having a long term plan to begin with which would allow you to plan for future development early on.

16 hours ago, Jake Arver said:

Personally, I'd agree that wear and tear would add to the game, having repair actions build up wear over time and eventually no longer being possible  and requiring replacement woudl also be a good thing IMO.

We actually have something like that for element recovery. But after some rage in the forum it has been limited to PvP damage. It is very unlikely that NQ brings it back to PvE damage or even implement additional penalties.

1 hour ago, Atmosph3rik said:

Elements already take damage.  and we already spend ore, in the form of scrap, to repair them.  What would be the point in requiring us to actually remove an element and replace it with a new one?

You can repair T5 elements with T1 scrap. Replacing elements requires the corresponding recources and if you make them yourself the corresponding industries, schematics and skills. That's a difference light day and night.

3 hours ago, Atmosph3rik said:

Elements already take damage.  and we already spend ore, in the form of scrap, to repair them.  What would be the point in requiring us to actually remove an element and replace it with a new one?

Simple really.  Industry makes product, product is used to make components to replace broken items, thus a market will exist and an economy over mining only.  Its what is in many games.  If you wanted to be an industralist you could in theory.   Even those flying around on Alioth would eventually have a degraded component needing a replacement.

22 hours ago, joaocordeiro said:

I wish ppl would stop proposing ideas that create more pain to players. 

The inflow of ore was fixed in day one of beta. With NPCs buying ore. 

Some ppl with no experience in economy pressured NQ to remove it. 

The fix is to admit it was needed. Not to add more pain to an already painfull game.... 

So elements that just last for ever in a space trading, building game is logical?  I understand why in PVE elements dont fully lose lives due to the bug's at the moment but in a decent MMO sandbox MMO items degrade thus need replacement and the repair unit can faciltate that.  It just means you'd have to hit the market to buy some replacement parts every so often.

1 hour ago, Honvik said:

So elements that just last for ever in a space trading, building game is logical?  I understand why in PVE elements dont fully lose lives due to the bug's at the moment but in a decent MMO sandbox MMO items degrade thus need replacement and the repair unit can faciltate that.  It just means you'd have to hit the market to buy some replacement parts every so often.

Does EVE have idle items decay? 

Who would see the most impact if this was implemented? 

In my view, lone players with low resources would suffer allot. 

Casual players would login into the game at weekends to spend 1-2 hours repairing their ship. What a nice "welcome back" dont you think? 

So why would NQ implement a pain creating feature that further alienates lone and casual players? Do you think we dont need those players? 

21 minutes ago, joaocordeiro said:

Does EVE have idle items decay? 

Who would see the most impact if this was implemented? 

In my view, lone players with low resources would suffer allot. 

Casual players would login into the game at weekends to spend 1-2 hours repairing their ship. What a nice "welcome back" dont you think? 

So why would NQ implement a pain creating feature that further alienates lone and casual players? Do you think we dont need those players? 

Why would they be logging in to repair their ships?  Its only items used or requiring repair would have a reduced HP overall.  Define casual player?  Player logs in for a few hours a week?.  In eve you have PvE so people lose their ships to the environment or PvP in DU there is no 'environment or NPC's'  you cannot compare.

40 minutes ago, joaocordeiro said:

Maybe PVE is what we need, would you not agree? 

Player vrs the Environment was never in their scope since this was supposed to be a Civilization building game with only 1 safe space (Sanctuary).  They have also even said previously no chance of NPC's.  I dont even think their tech can support it (cilent based not server based).  So sadly thats out the window!

2 minutes ago, Honvik said:

Player vrs the Environment was never in their scope since this was supposed to be a Civilization building game with only 1 safe space (Sanctuary).  They have also even said previously no chance of NPC's.  I dont even think their tech can support it (cilent based not server based).  So sadly thats out the window!

We could say the same about the current mining method. 

2 years ago it was unthinkable for ppl to use auto-miners instead of digging holes. 

Maybe they can add some NPCs to the game. 

They could start with basic, static stations and upgrade AI from there. 

But what we need in this game is meaningful content that creates joy instead of pain. 

Having a constant decay of element HP creates pain instead of joy. 

6 hours ago, Honvik said:

Simple really.  Industry makes product, product is used to make components to replace broken items, thus a market will exist and an economy over mining only.  Its what is in many games.  If you wanted to be an industralist you could in theory.   Even those flying around on Alioth would eventually have a degraded component needing a replacement.

Industry already makes scrap.  Scrap is used to repair broken items.  This is already done. Element repair is already a part of the economy.

The only reason they added "lives" to elements in PVP is because they needed fights to end eventually.  The idea is that you can't PVP anymore and have to go buy new elements.

This isn't because NQ wants people to stop playing, this is just because in PVP, fights need to end eventually.

So outside of PVP what would be the result of this?  I have to stop playing and go buy more elements.  Seems like that just makes the game worse.  especially when element repair is already part of the economy so there is literally no need for it.