Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Most of us know there will be massive star-gates in space to sent our ships to far away places. What i want to propose is a smaller base located gate.

It should be large enough to sent people, small hovers and small fighters but small enough to block big hovers and big ships. The placing should be in a base, planet or space bound, and transport is only possible if you own both sides of the gate, so you need to build one at both sides.

Since this is the same technology as will be used for the large gate it should fit the lore. And because you already need to have a base on both sides of the gate you have probably already used the large gate at least once but to be sure this is not gone be an easy thing to build a training should be there that makes this only craft-able after you already studied the building of star-gates in general. 

An option is to make these scale able just like the shown hangar doors, although i hope the star-gate idea will not be a circle to fly through but more a set of "rails" or "beacons" guiding a ship into the flow.

Your thoughts?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Aaron Cain said:

Most of us know there will be massive star-gates in space to sent our ships to far away places. What i want to propose is a smaller base located gate.

It should be large enough to sent people, small hovers and small fighters but small enough to block big hovers and big ships. The placing should be in a base, planet or space bound, and transport is only possible if you own both sides of the gate, so you need to build one at both sides.

Since this is the same technology as will be used for the large gate it should fit the lore. And because you already need to have a base on both sides of the gate you have probably already used the large gate at least once but to be sure this is not gone be an easy thing to build a training should be there that makes this only craft-able after you already studied the building of star-gates in general. 

An option is to make these scale able just like the shown hangar doors, although i hope the star-gate idea will not be a circle to fly through but more a set of "rails" or "beacons" guiding a ship into the flow.

Your thoughts?

 

 

problems with this:

- has to be restricted to UA, otherwise it'll be abused heavily

- if you build such a gate then you're pretty much invulnerable on both sides as you can "ship" or transport ppl across the galaxy instantly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

- has to be restricted to UA, otherwise it'll be abused heavily: 

Yes

 

- if you build such a gate then you're pretty much invulnerable on both sides as you can "ship" or transport ppl across the galaxy instantly:

Not much more then using the other "Space" stargate. But it would make the game more dynamic, and to build the base and mini gate on the other side you will have to do that as well, And there is indeed difference between doing it in a safezone or in a pvp zone but in your oppinion what would make this a feature that will not break the game? Suggestions?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Aaron Cain said:

- if you build such a gate then you're pretty much invulnerable on both sides as you can "ship" or transport ppl across the galaxy instantly:

Not much more then using the other "Space" stargate. But it would make the game more dynamic, and to build the base and mini gate on the other side you will have to do that as well, And there is indeed difference between doing it in a safezone or in a pvp zone but in your oppinion what would make this a feature that will not break the game? Suggestions?

no. Because the other (bigger) gate is in space and you have to fly there -> go through it -> fly to your base on the other side -> land -> get to combat. Every step here involves emergent gameplay with possible sneak attacks, hunting players who come through, ambushes and other stuff.

 

with such a "base gate" ppl will just heavily fortify (territory shields) both bases, and build RN nodes in their main base. If you attack base B (a forward base/ invasion base / staging point) then defenders die, respawn in base A and can instantly go back to battle again. Yes RN nodes have a limit and need energy, but that might not hinder big alliances.

So no, these two gates won't be similar at all

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nah just a smaller gate placeable planet side.

 

so @Lethys If the gate would be solo placeable, like a TU, and lets say we restrict it to not be placeable on structure, so it has to stand "not on/in " a structure. That would already make it less safe to travel to and from it but still would make the travel less long, and if someone wants to take down a base they could take down/ take over the gate too since its less defended.

 

Any other suggestions to make it workable?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Aaron Cain said:

Nah just a smaller gate placeable planet side.

 

so @Lethys If the gate would be solo placeable, like a TU, and lets say we restrict it to not be placeable on structure, so it has to stand "not on/in " a structure. That would already make it less safe to travel to and from it but still would make the travel less long, and if someone wants to take down a base they could take down/ take over the gate too since its less defended.

 

Any other suggestions to make it workable?

 

 

Such system is really easy to work around. Put the gate in a cave, with underground tunnel leading to the base (structure). Full safety.

 

I have nothing against small gates, but they should have the same placement limitations as large ones: Far away from celestial bodies and soft limit on minimal and maximal range.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree on that, but on the other hand i do think some form of personnel transport should be in place, If restricted, no problem but give it workable restrictions. If not people might start using multiple resurection nodes as fast transport, just empty all inventory, drop dead, poof what Resurrection note to use. Technically possible dependable on what is meant with unless configured specifically

 

"

  • Unless configured specifically, you will respawn at the last one you have activated.
     
  • If you have no activated Resurrection Node anywhere in the game universe, you will respawn where you appeared the first time in the game: in the Arkship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally I have nothing against teleportation, as long as you do it only without any items and resources. Kind of transporting your consciousness from one body to another.

More repawns (but still limited by some resources - i.e. spare bodies) means battles will last as long as your in-game resources allow, not as long as many alt accounts you can afford (P2W).

And would cut meaningless travel time, without hindering pirate gameplay at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I personally dont like the idea as its easier to travel that way, even if it is only avatar only. When its easier it reduces the amount of emergent game play, which is what I am in DU to enjoy.

 

Also, i believe a wormhole gate should be BIG! As the power requirements to create wormholes are HUGE! So make it big baby, really BIG!

 

:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree on your points, And indeed the one in space should be really big, like i hope we will see 10 km ships in the future, and they need to fit.

 

But for the smaller ones, i do agree it should be no simple thing to build and to use and it should not limit emergent gameplay, but to use the epic large ones for the smallest vessels would be overkill and i would suggest to have a smaller variant for that.

 

Reading the comments here shows that most problems with it are possible escapes from danger, to easy, to easy to defend, and some more in that list.

 

Taking these in account, Would it work to make the original stargate idea that was proposed by NQ scalable?  So you can build a massive one Or a small one, or something in between, with scaled energy use, distance, mass it can sent, operational and building costs in general? That way you will still have the same security lvl for the stargates But there will be a difference in use And you will really need to think about what the use is for when you build it. Massive gates have massive operational costs but also massive reach while small ones operate at lower costs but also have limited use.

 

Would that work for you and add to the emergent nature?  It would make the use of gates in general easier, however the different gates will work differently, so in the end it will generate differentiation and will add to total gameplay experience by adding more choises. Anything that could improve it further?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CalenLoki said:

And would cut meaningless travel time, without hindering pirate gameplay at all.

Yes, that is the mayor reason for my proposal. I dont mind to travel, but to meaninglessly travel the same route every time is a waste of time you could use creatively or anyway you want in DU. Without fast travel we already know that some distances will be for a long time, so technically that is afk time at max speed that is spend without any possibility to intervene that maxspeed traveling player. So why not skip the max speed part and only have the possibly dangerous parts to and from a gate, whether its in space or on the ground, not in but on the ground. Good point!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Aaron Cain said:

Yes, that is the mayor reason for my proposal. I dont mind to travel, but to meaninglessly travel the same route every time is a waste of time you could use creatively or anyway you want in DU. Without fast travel we already know that some distances will be for a long time, so technically that is afk time at max speed that is spend without any possibility to intervene that maxspeed traveling player. So why not skip the max speed part and only have the possibly dangerous parts to and from a gate, whether its in space or on the ground, not in but on the ground. Good point!

Love to have auto pilot, you can just go the first time to mark the router then the next time you can active the auto pilot and fly to the final destiny you have set.

Pirate will love auto pilot ship too ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The first question - is it really required? If someone remembers official information please remind me about warp speed inside solar system. So do you really need the gate if for example with some middle grade ship you can travel from one side of solar system to another side in 20-30 minutes? How often you are planning to cross the system? 

 

Initial idea sounds like smth between Warp Gates on missions in EVE and Jump Bridges.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Miamato said:

The first question - is it really required?

For commercial and strategy , yeah it require. Why ?

If the source from NQ is true, beginning system will have like 20 planet. And give that i base on the first planet, now i need to go to the 20th planet it will be a really long way but cheap. But what about commercial on a big scale ? Every cost they can decrease still contribute a huge profit to their economy.

So if i build a gate be tween 10th -> 15th planet i can move pretty fast between each planet from far away from use the one at the first planet.

But the question still, is there any profit in long term if build a gate to move like that ? From first planet to the 10 - 15 planet. IF there is, why they shouldnt they do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It makes sense

 

For smaller scale projects where a gigantic warp gate is not needed a shorter range, less powerful one is a more logical decision.

 

As for the problems with combat and such. I will use the spawn rooms in planetside 2 as an example:

In PS2 the way you spawn at an enemy base is via a sunderer which is a portable spawn unit you drive up there. These are vulnerable so it's  wise to have many at once. They the enemy spawns is via their spawn room. You can't actually take an enemy base if it's not in an adjacent territory tile to yours. When the base is overun with your troops the enemy is effectively confined to their spawn room if you have set up an adequate blockade.

 

The way this can apply in game is you roll out a portable warp gate with limited range - you too can respawn on this point. It would be wise to have multiple portable warpgates at once. You can feed reinforcements through the warpgate via concealed warpgate just like the enemy. Whoever gains dominance of the base then simply blocks out the spawn points or destroys them. One can also cut off the feed of reinforcements at the bases.

 

By allowing portable warpgates with the same range the gameplay is more dynamic but not equalised.

 The thing is in war the playing field is never level. Hence the need for multiple warpgates. Forced equality in combat ultimately makes things stale and encourages people to think inside the box. In an FPS game I can see why personal preference of playstyle should be upheld and game balance be enforced on weapons and such. But in large scale warfare this will just make things too complicated

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Veld said:

It makes sense

 

For smaller scale projects where a gigantic warp gate is not needed a shorter range, less powerful one is a more logical decision.

 

As for the problems with combat and such. I will use the spawn rooms in planetside 2 as an example:

In PS2 the way you spawn at an enemy base is via a sunderer which is a portable spawn unit you drive up there. These are vulnerable so it's  wise to have many at once. They the enemy spawns is via their spawn room. You can't actually take an enemy base if it's not in an adjacent territory tile to yours. When the base is overun with your troops the enemy is effectively confined to their spawn room if you have set up an adequate blockade.

 

The way this can apply in game is you roll out a portable warp gate with limited range - you too can respawn on this point. It would be wise to have multiple portable warpgates at once. You can feed reinforcements through the warpgate via concealed warpgate just like the enemy. Whoever gains dominance of the base then simply blocks out the spawn points or destroys them. One can also cut off the feed of reinforcements at the bases.

 

By allowing portable warpgates with the same range the gameplay is more dynamic but not equalised.

 The thing is in war the playing field is never level. Hence the need for multiple warpgates. Forced equality in combat ultimately makes things stale and encourages people to think inside the box. In an FPS game I can see why personal preference of playstyle should be upheld and game balance be enforced on weapons and such. But in large scale warfare this will just make things too complicated

Sundies can't spawn vehicles, only infantry. And for that we have spawn room.

 

I'd rather have all short-distance travel conventional. Wan't reinforcements? Bring carriers full of fighters (so your downed pilots can fly something again). Retreat and repair larger units. Protect those carriers by either placing them in safe distance (at cost of slower reinforcement) or escorting them.

In general pay adequate price to tactical advantage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm dead set against small gates.

 

1. Star Gates or "wormhole quantum entanglement nodes" should be massive and rare and expensive for solar system hopping aka INTER-SOLAR SYSTEM travel.

2. INTRA-SOLAR SYSTEM travel should be some sort of engine on the actual vessel itself. So larger ships have these huge engines but smaller ships do not. Thus introducing carrier classes and LOCALIZING smaller ship activity.

 

Remember large ships are going to need full crews to fully function at 100%... this is the big big idea of space constructs that seems to be under-appreciated as to how consequential it will be.

 

Of course the big criticism is what will a lot of players stuck on one ship do that is boring? They'll be working together against other such ships or else being dominated if they resort to smaller ships in large clashes... of course lots of small ships LOCALLY are going to be useful to kick ass...

 

Again this all has impact on PvP which we all know is very impactful. And distances should never be uniform but FRACTAL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sundies can't spawn vehicles, yes, but you can just make the portable warpgates so small only people can fit in.

 

I was thinking of these warpgates as being mere shortrange personnel teleportation devices. Like a "beam me up Scotty" sort of thing. Likewise with the large warpgates they will cost a lot but not as much.

 

But I have to agree with @MookMcMook on this one as I think players should be encouraged to design a vast array of ships for intra system travel. If players just use mini warp gates set up in relay routes spanning the system then that would be boring. Mini warpgates would erase the need for dropships, civilian transport, military transport and probably even resource transport because you could just stick it all in your inventory.

 

But feasible or not, mini warpgates would just be a nice thing to have around and wouldn't enhance the game all that much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...