When is True Alpha (Not Pre-Alpha)

Partum

2 hours ago, Lethys said:

I don't think they will keep the servers up 24/7 with alpha, possibly only the whole weekend so they have time for bugfixing during the week. I guess that we will see extended uptimes once beta hits

Hope so, these times kinda screw over oceanic players,

Kinda upset they didn't disclose these details until after kick starter ended.

If this is a concern to you or you expected anything different, you really should stay away from early access, especially _this_ early on. Just to make sure, I do hope you are not expecting any actual game play for the next 2-3 months at least. (NQ may surprise us, but I certainly do not expect anything)

Generally speaking, while technology has progressed in the last decade or so, what NQ are aiming for is really not easy or something you can rush. They will need to start very small and scale very gradually before they can open the doors 24/7. While I hope to be surprised, my expectation is that certainly for the first 3-4 session they open up access we'll see a _lot_ of issues/blockers/freezes. crashes and other weird stuff. There is a good chance of a lot of reboots/downtime and waiting for access especially next week. I'd be very surprised if they get even half the uptime they announced (9 hours). 

I also want to stress that I would not consider this anything other as to be expected and everyone should be aware going in this is what may happen.. We are not yet going to be playing the game and won't be for some time. At this time we're pretty much long for the ride and any ideas about considering time-zones outside the local time should IMO not even come up.

This is Pre-Alpha, which means you need to expect a _lot_ of things to go wrong and your purpose should (IMO) be to try/test as many things as you can, see what breaks and report on this. Not until Beta should you have any ideas of stability or actual gameplay (loops).

I'm not saying you are, but if your idea/mindset is that you can start playing DU, I'd strongly suggest you wait and not log on next week.

6 hours ago, blazemonger said:

(...)

This is Pre-Alpha, which means you need to expect a _lot_ of things to go wrong and your purpose should (IMO) be to try/test as many things as you can, see what breaks and report on this. Not until Beta should you have any ideas of stability or actual gameplay (loops).

I'm not saying you are, but if your idea/mindset is that you can start playing DU, I'd strongly suggest you wait and not log on next week.

While I support the intention of lowering the expectations for actual content of the game, I think we should still try to have fun in the pre-alpha events.

Of course NQ does these events mainly to get feedback to find problems with the game, which we as the community should definitely report.

But even in this current state there are so many things you can do / build in the game. I don’t like how so many posts basically tell people to stay away as if DU would be practically unplayable at the moment!

I was actually playing an earlier version of DU at Gamescom last month, and had a lot of fun!

As long as you can keep your mindset to be: “all the bad parts of the game are going to improve” you’ll still have a great time...

Regarding the time zone problem, I’d suggest NQ extends future pre-alpha events to be 24 hours. There should be no problem leaving the servers running a bit longer, and the oceanics won't get screwed next time. ;)

They start with 9 hours, the jump to 12 >24 should not be long unless something comes up as a blocker.

I fully intend to have fun, in fact for me doing the pre-alpha testing and trying to break stuff is part of the fun. I am getting the feeling some may expect to get the DU game experience though and have the incorrect understanding/expectation of what we're getting next week.

Personally I expect to bunker up, and spends the day breaking things .. or get out in deep space if I can..