How many SE players came here for a hope?

devu

As we know, people flocking to DU coming from many sources, We all know Eve group is strong but they have no idea what user generated content is about ;). I wonder how many of you SE players got your hopes high in SE to the level you want to play with more than 5 players on the map, dreamed about some goals, economy, politics AND smooth voxels for fine tuned designs?

Myself, I was modding and running my own server. Got over 4k hours on record (such a waste of time) but gave up on that game long time ago and the only title close to my expectations is DU.

I've got a couple thousand hours in SE myself. While I've watched the game grow and develop over the course of the years. It still does have some lack luster to it in the form of the block shapes we're allowed and the multiplayer net code. I will say though that the multiplayer has gotten a lot better, allowing me and my friends to play on servers with over 200 mods and a lot of stuff going on, and still managing a sim speed of about .7. Which considering the game a year ago... even running it vanilla with just 2 people was horrendous. It's still a fun game. 

But DU has just.. so much more to it and so much more promise. Seeing all the tech demos and what the technology running DU is gonna be like. I'm excited. I'm skeptical still about the game running as great as its being said it will run. But perhaps thats just the years of SE making me feel nervous about letting a bunch of people have massive capital ships in close proximity to one another and fully expecting a hard crash of the game in response. Time will tell! The Devs can only test and show off so much after all. It real testing is when the masses get our hands on the product and really put the system through its paces. 

I got to SE because it will allow me to get used to working with Voxels. I know the DU system will be quite different but it's a good starting point IMO. 

From what I have seen so far SE is great for 'messing around' and building personal stuff. It does not really offer much in multiplayer interaction instead of maybe building bigger things together. weapons really seem extremely inaccurate and crude, with graphics obviously well behind the 'polish' of the rest of the game. While I can certainly see myself remain active in EVE, I think SE will be left behind fairly quickly once I get going in DU.