Destroying core units?

FD3242

Has it been stated what happens when a core unit is destroyed.

Dose the ship lose all functionally or just disappear?

Or is the core unit just a base to start building on and can be destroyed without effecting the ship?

Edit: I like "Or is the core unit just a base to start building on and can be destroyed without effecting the ship?" best.

I am not sure about the whole thing but core units are basically the building block of anything, now all the rights and access are on the core unit as well as functionalities of the ships are controlled through the core unit, so if a core unit is destroyed or removed from the ship, it is just a husk and you can do pretty much nothing with it, well you can loot it for sure but other than that you can not fly it, you can not control it and its not even yours as the rights to it are on a control unit.
Now since its all voxels the ship won't just magically disappear but I imagine it would just lie or float there doing nothing.

I am not sure about the whole thing but core units are basically the building block of anything, now all the rights and access are on the core unit as well as functionalities of the ships are controlled through the core unit, so if a core unit is destroyed or removed from the ship, it is just a husk and you can do pretty much nothing with it, well you can loot it for sure but other than that you can not fly it, you can not control it and its not even yours as the rights to it are on a control unit.

Now since its all voxels the ship won't just magically disappear but I imagine it would just lie or float there doing nothing.

Ok. I am kinda worried that the most effective ships will just be cubes to protect the core unit. But I guess you could say that about any important component.

Edit: I assume you could replace the core unit.

Hmmm interesting, I looked at the CU as the block seperating a collection of voxels and elements from the world. The base/hook to attach voxels to a seperate entity. But thats not the whole picture I am sure.

Good question OP.

Has it been stated what happens when a core unit is destroyed.

Dose the ship lose all functionally or just disappear?

Or is the core unit just a base to start building on and can be destroyed without effecting the ship?

Edit: I like "Or is the core unit just a base to start building on and can be destroyed without effecting the ship?" best.

As aesras said- the ship loses all functionality.

This game is a sandbox and you can build ships as you like so if the box ship of doom is the most efficient vessel, people will use it. That's the whole point of r&d in the game and to figure that out.

Is this pretty? No

But it's the way it is, when the meta evolves. You can still use pretty ships to go to war though....

As aesras said- the ship loses all functionality.

This game is a sandbox and you can build ships as you like so if the box ship of doom is the most efficient vessel, people will use it. That's the whole point of r&d in the game and to figure that out.

Is this pretty? No

But it's the way it is, when the meta evolves. You can still use pretty ships to go to war though....

I just realized a box ship of doom can look good to.

1888186-borg_cube.jpg

Ok. I am kinda worried that the most effective ships will just be cubes to protect the core unit. But I guess you could say that about any important component.

Edit: I assume you could replace the core unit.

They won't be just cubes because NQ has stated all the time that there will be realistic physics when it comes to flying so a cube will be very inefficient. I am also guessing that when it comes to a very large ship, there will be a CU in the center will protection around it and then all the essentials, remember, you can't just blow up a CU, you have to hack it and disable it. Also, you can replace the CU, as far as I know, if your CU gets disabled and they leave, you can replace it with a new CU or the attackers can hack it and reboot it in their name. 

They won't be just cubes because NQ has stated all the time that there will be realistic physics when it comes to flying so a cube will be very inefficient. I am also guessing that when it comes to a very large ship, there will be a CU in the center will protection around it and then all the essentials, remember, you can't just blow up a CU, you have to hack it and disable it. Also, you can replace the CU, as far as I know, if your CU gets disabled and they leave, you can replace it with a new CU or the attackers can hack it and reboot it in their name. 

Very good point about the realistic physics, although in space they may not be as limiting. I think you can just blow up the core unit, if you can hit it directly, but hacking it is probably a lot better option if you can manage it. Once the CU goes down, the ship's scripts are lost as well so just putting in a new CU wouldn't be effective unless you replace the scripts as well. So if a CU needs to be replaced, like if it has been damaged in a battle, there would probably be a few moments of "rebooting" while the scripts are reinstalled into the CU and brought online. 

Very good point about the realistic physics, although in space they may not be as limiting. I think you can just blow up the core unit, if you can hit it directly, but hacking it is probably a lot better option if you can manage it. Once the CU goes down, the ship's scripts are lost as well so just putting in a new CU wouldn't be effective unless you replace the scripts as well. So if a CU needs to be replaced, like if it has been damaged in a battle, there would probably be a few moments of "rebooting" while the scripts are reinstalled into the CU and brought online. 

It being down would probably give the enemy enough time to destroy the ship. This is why it will be important to have people on call to do stuff like replacing the core unit and its scripts.

It being down would probably give the enemy enough time to destroy the ship. This is why it will be important to have people on call to do stuff like replacing the core unit and its scripts.

Yep. large ships will definitely need dedicated repair crews for when they engage in battle. Of course, you can't maintain a standing repair crew 24/7 so it will probably be advantageous to attack ships when they only have a skeleton crew, if your goal is to destroy/capture a specific (capital size) ship.

Yes but if the enemy manages to destroy your CU in combat you most likely have more pressing issues.

You wont put your CU in an easy to reach unsecured place. So if you got a big gaping hole in your ship, replacing the CU might not be the 1st thing on your priority list. :D

Context is everything of course but in my case if the bad guy blows up my CU I doubt I'll get a chance to patch things up.

This could also be the point where groups take over larger ships and claim them as their own

Yes but if the enemy manages to destroy your CU in combat you most likely have more pressing issues.

You wont put your CU in an easy to reach unsecured place. So if you got a big gaping hole in your ship, replacing the CU might not be the 1st thing on your priority list. :D

Context is everything of course but in my case if the bad guy blows up my CU I doubt I'll get a chance to patch things up.

True. Depending on what the attackers do to your ship, you may have to focus on other parts other than the CU

Probably true. But we really do not know much about how the c vs c will work, We might not be able to target such a exact point so it might be safe to just patch it up.

I hope controls will transcend a single block (CU) to some degree or we will end up with boring core drilling pvp.

Having the ability to make backup CU could spruce up ship pvp a lot. I definitely support that idea.

True. Depending on what the attackers do to your ship, you may have to focus on other parts other than the CU

The problem is that replacing other parts would be pointless without the CU.

Probably true. But we really do not know much about how the c vs c will work, We might not be able to target such a exact point so it might be safe to just patch it up.

Yea its anyone's guess right now.

Though the combat would be lock and fire so I'm thinking you will need to select either the entire ship or select an element to target.

But its all speculation at this point, its part of the pre release fun. ;)

Yea its anyone's guess right now.

Though the combat would be lock and fire so I'm thinking you will need to select either the entire ship or select an element to target.

But its all speculation at this point, its part of the pre release fun. ;)

Yea as far are we know the game will suck, run at sub 60 fps, and have bad graphics oh, and no multiplayer.

Well there are damage bubbles so it would be sufficient to just shoot in the general direction of the CU, because you can target different subsystems. Depending how good your Intel on that ship is, you know where to shoot anyway

Well there are damage bubbles so it would be sufficient to just shoot in the general direction of the CU, because you can target different subsystems. Depending how good your Intel on that ship is, you know where to shoot anyway

Which is the exact problem. Ships will end up with one big hole in one spot. I mean whats the point in taking out weapons or anything else when destroying the CU disables the entire ship.

Shield it with extra shields (if possible) and lots of armor. That's what we know atm and how it would work

That dose not change that in the end the wreck will just be a perfectly fine ship with a big hole in it. Which is very immersion breaking in my opinion.