Destroying core units?

FD3242

Not necessarily. Keep in mind that these ships are not stationary and the armor means it will take multiple hitsources even on a weak spot to score a CU shot. One moment you are shooting at the top of the ship, then at the bottom, then attached the back. Plus the other ship is shooting back the whole time. What emerges is an elaborate dance where each ship tries to to outmaneuver and outlast the other ship in order to kill it's CU.

Think of it like sword fighting. Theoretically, you could win the fight instantly by stabbing your opponent in the heart, but in practice you must get past their sword and arms first while they run around on their legs. As such, one will commonly aim for the legs or the arms first to wear down their opponent before eventually moving in for the kill shot.

Not necessarily. Keep in mind that these ships are not stationary and the armor means it will take multiple hitsources even on a weak spot to score a CU shot. One moment you are shooting at the top of the ship, then at the bottom, then attached the back. Plus the other ship is shooting back the whole time. What emerges is an elaborate dance where each ship tries to to outmaneuver and outlast the other ship in order to kill it's CU.

Think of it like sword fighting. Theoretically, you could win the fight instantly by stabbing your opponent in the heart, but in practice you must get past their sword and arms first while they run around on their legs. As such, one will commonly aim for the legs or the arms first to wear down their opponent before eventually moving in for the kill shot.

Hopefully it will play out like that.

That dose not change that in the end the wreck will just be a perfectly fine ship with a big hole in it. Which is very immersion breaking in my opinion.

I'm wondering where you came up with this. Certainly nobody official.

Who's to say the entire construct explodes and releases a random drop of voxels and elements when the core is destroyed?

We also know that builders can create a variety of constructs for sale.  EACH construct will need a core unit for construction and to give it a unique identifier for possession (RDMS).

So consider the builder that has come up with a cool "turret solution".  You buy it and attach it to your ship.  Now your ship has two cores.  But it doesn't have to be a weapon.  The builder may just build a shaped voxel solution to give a ship swept wings.  It may be cosmetic, but if you buy it and attach it to your ship, you have another core.

All of this to say your ship will most likely have more than one core unit.

Who's to say the entire construct explodes and releases a random drop of voxels and elements when the core is destroyed?

we do not know yet, but experience from other voxel games says that that is very likely

We also know that builders can create a variety of constructs for sale.  EACH construct will need a core unit for construction and to give it a unique identifier for possession (RDMS).

So consider the builder that has come up with a cool "turret solution".  You buy it and attach it to your ship.  Now your ship has two cores.  But it doesn't have to be a weapon.  The builder may just build a shaped voxel solution to give a ship swept wings.  It may be cosmetic, but if you buy it and attach it to your ship, you have another core.

If the turret takes energy from the parent ship it will die with the parent.

In regards to the wing, i hope they are making templates you can copy paste on to you ships, both to ease building but also to reduce the entity count as each entity requires more calculations and collisions checks.

I was not saying that.

We do not know if that's possible yet. No reason to assume it is.

While having more than one core unit per construct may not have been confirmed yet, I certainly hope they make it a possibility.

Imagine how difficult it will be to create a space station if you can't have multiple people building pieces of it on separate core units, then joining them together for the finished station.

I am in no way suggesting that it should be easy, and it also hasn't (to my knowledge,) been confirmed that constructs can be "joined" yet either. If NQ decides that you can only have one core unit per construct, then I don't really have a problem with that either, it just means things will be more challenging.

Maybe you can only implement additional CUs if the construct is over a certain number of voxels or contains a certain number of scripted elements? That would help avoid the creation of endless-backup-of-core-units ships, where you have a 1000-voxel ship with 25 core units. (You know you were thinking it. :) )

While having more than one core unit per construct may not have been confirmed yet, I certainly hope they make it a possibility.

Imagine how difficult it will be to create a space station if you can't have multiple people building pieces of it on separate core units, then joining them together for the finished station.

I am in no way suggesting that it should be easy, and it also hasn't (to my knowledge,) been confirmed that constructs can be "joined" yet either. If NQ decides that you can only have one core unit per construct, then I don't really have a problem with that either, it just means things will be more challenging.

Maybe you can only implement additional CUs if the construct is over a certain number of voxels or contains a certain number of scripted elements? That would help avoid the creation of endless-backup-of-core-units ships, where you have a 1000-voxel ship with 25 core units. (You know you were thinking it. :) )

Yes that could work. But destroying all the core units really is not needed, disabling the ship is the goal. So a endless backup of core units really is not a problem.

Edit: Just a bunch of core units wont do much.

I dont think combat will be this black and white. Void described it perfectly in my opinion.

If its 1v1, your enemy wont be just sitting there taking the hits. While you might be racing to destroy his CU, the opponent might be targeting your weapons. Or he might take out your engines while waiting on some friends to help out.

Move and countermove.

Not boom, headshot!

I dont think combat will be this black and white. Void described it perfectly in my opinion.

If its 1v1, your enemy wont be just sitting there taking the hits. While you might be racing to destroy his CU, the opponent might be targeting your weapons. Or he might take out your engines while waiting on some friends to help out.

Move and countermove.

Not boom, headshot!

What do you mean by "Black and white"?

What do you mean by "Black and white"?

Sorry, sometimes things get lost in translation.

If CvC turns out as I suspect it will, it will be more like a game of chess. JC said he always wants to offer a counter for a given strategy. So that there is not 1 ultimate way of doing things.

Like I said in my previous post, you might be going straight for the CU (if you know where it is) but your enemy might be able to disable your weapon or engine elements first. You might be able to disable the CU but leave yourself vulnerable to attacks from a 3rd party.

Thats why I said it wont be so black and white, there will be a lot of grey area.

Context is everything.

I hope that clarifies what I said. :)

Sorry, sometimes things get lost in translation.

If CvC turns out as I suspect it will, it will be more like a game of chess. JC said he always wants to offer a counter for a given strategy. So that there is not 1 ultimate way of doing things.

Like I said in my previous post, you might be going straight for the CU (if you know where it is) but your enemy might be able to disable your weapon or engine elements first. You might be able to disable the CU but leave yourself vulnerable to attacks from a 3rd party.

Thats why I said it wont be so black and white, there will be a lot of grey area.

Context is everything.

I hope that clarifies what I said. :)

Yes, it dose.