Macroscopic Events

Hylios

When I say macroscopic events, I mean things that take place across the universe. Big events that impact the overall direction that the universe evolves. 

I know that players will eventually form their own factions and duke things out, influencing borders and such, but what if something comes from outside the galaxy? Some sort of alien menace that forces enemies to work together to repel, lest inhabited planets get destroyed.

Basically, an event that players have to participate in to get a certain outcome. The best example I can think of is probably a poor one, but one arc from the second season of the anime Sword Art Online. In said arc, Ice Giants being attempting to take over the land of Alfheim (if I remember right) and if they succeed, the entire world would be all cold and icy. Fortunately, the protagonists stopped it.

Hi everyone,

This is definitely something we would like to put in place.

However, in order to create event on a global scale, this will require specific Admin / GM tools. Meaning Development time (and not just a little).

That might be a stretch goal for the Kickstarter and put on the roadmap after the official release (because the primary focus is to bring all basic mechanics to the players first before thinking about events). But indeed, this would considerably increase the immersion in the game :)

Thanks for the suggestion!

Best Regards,

Nyzaltar.

• 3 months later...

Reminds me of some of the events in Eve.

I would really like to see things like this imimented eventually. As NQ said, it's best to get the basic tools first. Besides players will need time in game to advance before they can handle something like an alien invasion.

Would defiantly stir the pot. Could you imagine an immense alien fleet landing in your enemies system. Without help they will be anilated. You could help or you could sit back and watch them be destroyed. But who know if you will be next.

Great idea. probably one for a future expansion. Not wanting to sound negative, but its the sort of thing devs put in after a few years to encourage players back into the game or attract new blood, which is not a bad thing.

Maybe if you are involved in such an event you get a cool drop or something that allows you to enhance your ship. Might just be kudos or a medal awarded by some galactic higher order. Could be a huge monolith in space with a list of names of participants carved on it next to a giant alien ship wreck.

Or you collect X number of medals for events and then you can trade them in for something special from some remote trader outpost. (ref pirate tags in eve to repair sec status damage)

Nice Suggestion. :D

Hi everyone,

This is definitely something we would like to put in place.

However, in order to create event on a global scale, this will require specific Admin / GM tools. Meaning Development time (and not just a little).

That might be a stretch goal for the Kickstarter and put on the roadmap after the official release (because the primary focus is to bring all basic mechanics to the players first before thinking about events). But indeed, this would considerably increase the immersion in the game :)

Thanks for the suggestion!

Best Regards,

Nyzaltar.

Yeah concentrate on the main mechanics/Features, but just dont forgett it. ;)

Great idea. probably one for a future expansion. Not wanting to sound negative, but its the sort of thing devs put in after a few years to encourage players back into the game or attract new blood, which is not a bad thing.

Maybe if you are involved in such an event you get a cool drop or something that allows you to enhance your ship. Might just be kudos or a medal awarded by some galactic higher order. Could be a huge monolith in space with a list of names of participants carved on it next to a giant alien ship wreck.

Or you collect X number of medals for events and then you can trade them in for something special from some remote trader outpost. (ref pirate tags in eve to repair sec status damage)

I disagree, I'd prefer the outcome of a large scale event to be something that everyone gets or affects everyone. 

Like in a asteroid situation, if you manage to destroy it before it hits the planet then the planet gets small locations of rare resources around the place, you just have to find them (or watch them fall) but there would be that many small locations that everyone gets a chance at them.

Or on the other side, if you don't manage to destroy it, then the planet gets some 'debuff' or is damaged in some way that affects all people on the planet, making it a event that everyone wants to join in on but only for the people on that planet or that sector of the universe. If it gave you something transferable you would get people looking around purely for these situations, like big organisations, and killing off other people so they can reap the rewards for themselves. Even if you are just a small fry, they could kill you to stop you getting any advancement.

But global/sector scale rewards that's non-specific to a player would give everyone equal footing on getting the rewards and remove more of the 'killing everyone for greed' part of it.

nora,