I'll just leave this here (from Reddit):

Megabosslord

8 hours ago, Atmosph3rik said:

I can't really imagine how that last step would be automated anyway.

I could easily see someone putting a factory at 500m off the ground with a pile of ships stacking up on the ground below.

3 hours ago, Kezzle said:

Yup. That'd be hilarious! "Who forgot to turn off the fighter line?!" :)

Player1:  Hey, is that Sham's Pyramid?  Player2:  No, that's a pile of ships that has been stacking up since day one.

7 hours ago, Wyndle said:

I could easily see someone putting a factory at 500m off the ground with a pile of ships stacking up on the ground below.

Player1:  Hey, is that Sham's Pyramid?  Player2:  No, that's a pile of ships that has been stacking up since day one.

All you need to do is keep coming back to calibrate the MUs that feed the factory...

Edit: Oh, and an infinite supply of schematics, and some money to pay the rent on the territory... So probably not going to happen as "abandonware", unless someone wanted to do it for the the shiznitz. :)  Which is a shame. The idea of a planet that's been cored out by one factory to create a similar volume of "spaceships" up on the surface, just clanking away, aeon after epoch, popping out a craft every time there's enough minerals been scraped out of the hollow world...

Edited by Kezzle
Afterthought

o my god, i just had to say something ><

Theeeee planes on the line fall down and down, down and down, down and down. The planes on the line fall down and down all around the Hex.

The MU on the hex goes wheeee wheee wheee, wheeehweeewheee, wheeheeeheee, the MU on the hex goes wheeehweeewhee, all the goddamn day

The owner of the hex goes OMG OMG OMG the owner of the hex goes OMG, WhoTF is gone buy my planes!!!

On 11/2/2022 at 3:41 PM, Jinxed said:

OP is very nice and all but I suspect it was not written by an engineer working for NQ, so they have likely about as much knowledge of the backend as we do. And is thus 100% conjecture, speculation and armchair developing, just like much of this forum tends to be (me included). 

NQ stated that XL cores will not be coming. Heck, they didn’t even say “not at release (TM)”. instead they said that there are technical reasons why the engine doesn’t support them well.

They never mentioned anything about planetary surface load being the reason why XL cores don’t work.

I’ve had a (pubic) conversation with a NQ dev on Discord where they said server load is the reason we don’t have XLs. And we know the difference on terrain/surface construct load vs space from the cache file size. 

All that we can predict is data load per player will monotonously increase as players develop their bases and assets unless there is some way attrition will play a part. 

I speculate that that’s why they wiped. Not because of any necessity technically (nothing changed other than a few tiny additions like XS space fuel tanks,  some Art Deco vases and a bunch of random containers) but instead was purely to temporarily reduce server load and give them some breathing time. 

Unless there is churn and new users regularly join and leave after a year or so, I honestly believe there will come a time again where the average server cost per player will lead to problems again for NQ. 

On 11/2/2022 at 12:20 PM, ColonkinYT said:

So I just rely on the fact. The fact that these cores are in the public domain (we see them). The game engine processes them (there are no problems for players with falling through, displaying, etc.). All.
Everything else, as you correctly noted, is speculation. Including yours. And they look like an attempt to justify why this is not possible (just kidding).

😉

There's a big difference between 100 or so XL static cores at the markets vs a few 1000 deployed by players. Also, it's entirely possible that areas of likely player concentration - like certain markets = have beefed up servers that would be too expensive to deploy everywhere. I would do that if I were building this game.

13 hours ago, Daphne Jones said:

There's a big difference between 100 or so XL static cores at the markets vs a few 1000 deployed by players. Also, it's entirely possible that areas of likely player concentration - like certain markets = have beefed up servers that would be too expensive to deploy everywhere. I would do that if I were building this game.

The thing is, the core processing is on your PC. Not on the server. )))

Otherwise, the ships would not stop at the logoff.
Actually, when the question came up about dynamic cores, the problem there was precisely that within one core it was very difficult to make a calculation with cores greater than L. For a ship, this is critical. When your half-ship would not have been calculated. By the way, there was a similar thing in Starbase. Specifically, when deploying the base, when you are on one edge of the core, the other edge (opposite) could fall into the LOD object. There, the issue was resolved fairly quickly (apparently by simply increasing the range of transition of structures to the LOD object).

5 hours ago, ColonkinYT said:

The thing is, the core processing is on your PC. Not on the server. )))

Does this not set the door right open for all kinds of misuse? I know in the early days it was so very easy to hack games like Planets and stars! so multiplay it was useless but If i can manipulate my core processing i can virtually change the behaviour of the game aswell? that probably is also the reason why people glitch or objects are not found although you clearly see them

14 minutes ago, Aaron Cain said:

Does this not set the door right open for all kinds of misuse? I know in the early days it was so very easy to hack games like Planets and stars! so multiplay it was useless but If i can manipulate my core processing i can virtually change the behaviour of the game aswell? that probably is also the reason why people glitch or objects are not found although you clearly see them

In a certain sense, yes. But there are verification mechanisms in place to prevent abuse.
For example, if you want to change the speed of the ship programmatically, then this is very quickly calculated by the anomalous change in the speed delta. Which does not match your construct.
Simplified - data validation is much simpler than calculations.
See for yourself. If the calculations were on the server, then there would be no such lags in displaying nearby flying objects. Your construct and your sky neighbor's data would be sent to you at the same time. We see a completely different picture with "jumping" ships.