The NQ CEO video and what it may mean for DU

blazemonger

VIDEO SOURCE

I thought this to be an interesting video which holds some interesting detail and frankly, may be a good signal for DU.

The video basically sets up NQ as "the metaverse company using voxel technology", it mentions DU but really only in passing.

To me, this video sets up NQ as a company with a "new project" which I expect is actually not new at all, it is their voxel/metaverse server tech being repurposed as their main asset. Not really a surprise and something many of us have been expecting. I am pretty sure that the investors initially came on board because of the tech, not so much DU. And this allows that line to be built out.

How does this benefit DU then?

For one, if NQ manages to attract new funding for their "new project", some of that could trickle down into DU as the "showcase" project.

As it stands there is no clear separation of Paris and Montreal, and this could well change all that. Paris could become a more "NQ/Metaverse" focussed office while the DU related work is pushed to Montreal, something that honestly makes sense.

Focus on DU at the Montreal office will allow more direct and faster decision making, keeping the "core tech" in Paris will open up a number of further options, not excluding it being absorbed by a big publisher like Ubisoft eventually.

Also, separating the two would allow either to fold without too much of an effect on the other.

I doubt we will see anything from NQ as far as them commenting on this and in this case, I could see why and not disagree. But it's something that is important to us as DU community, so I feel it's worth discussing.

It is a bit complicated to draw so many conclusions, they are probably trying to license their technology, but the metaverse is not a matter of technology, but rather the recruitment of humans who want to be within that metaverse, as an example, you have the failed second life project, the game was ridiculous, but managed to capture the attention of the media, and the illusion of being relevant.

A gamedesigner is not a creative director. the two work together but it's a very different skillset with some overlap. 

Having a game designer as creative director does somewhat eexplain some choices made (of late).

Also, I personally see a lot of potential pitfalls with people who joined very early on as "do-ers" gettin into positions where they need to be "thinkers" in such a volatile stage of development. That also really explains some choices that hav ebeen made and are not al lthat great.

I still believe the lack of a project manager who keeps tabs on progress and the departments heads in check is something NQ really needs.

2 hours ago, blazemonger said:

A gamedesigner is not a creative director. the two work together but it's a very different skillset with some overlap. 

Having a game designer as creative director does somewhat eexplain some choices made (of late).

Also, I personally see a lot of potential pitfalls with people who joined very early on as "do-ers" gettin into positions where they need to be "thinkers" in such a volatile stage of development. That also really explains some choices that hav ebeen made and are not al lthat great.

I still believe the lack of a project manager who keeps tabs on progress and the departments heads in check is something NQ really needs.

I am more interested in what exactly this supposed team of game designers has been doing all this time. Whatever it is, it is not showing in the actual game.

22 hours ago, FuriousPuppy said:

just sell it to microsoft and be done with it, NQ can't be educated fast enough to repair all the failings within my lifetime. They should go on to develop the next 3d voxel minesweeper game or something

No major tech company will buy the shims of intergradation between existing commercial systems they cannot acquire.  

image.png.957984873999bea329ff04c225116326.png