Thoughts on future of the game

Seripis

I have held back on my thoughts on this as a statement but this is how I feel. 

Unfortunately we are playing a Beta game. the developers did say there wouldn't be a wipe after alpha and there have been leaks and loose statements about a potential wipe since then. This has caused more harm than good. Personally what I would like to see is a very direct statement when its time. either we are not going to do a wipe or we are  and this is how. then list the reasons why technical reasons not social and List how this will help the game in the future. 

we all know sometimes in development wipes are important and have to happen. Some times when the devs them selves do not particularly want it to happen. while they are not public I know all of the devs do play the game and have invested leisure time into the game. Also I know the NQ staff are personally vested in the future of the game and its success as they rely on it for income and providing for themselves and their families. 

I do not think the developers want to wipe. If they did WANT to wipe it would have been a very clear statement from the beginning.  they would not have invested the time to help us save cores and dig out structures. Or give away warp beacons as rewards for events. While there has been post about pros and cons on wiping their actions  in game have shown that they want to world we have built to continue on. 

I think wiping for the reason of player balance is not a good idea. There will always be player balance issues. You will always have new players who have to catch up and old players who seem to own the stars. Its part of an on going universe. the difference is that in DU you have a community of people who want to help new players. Streamers who are here to support the game and help build up the player base. I think personally a wipe would hurt that. 

One of the biggest draws to du for new players is the creativity and seeing the things people have built and done in game. 

but to wipe because some players have to much is not a good reason. Every game has those who have more time and drive. Who will always do well. there will always be things that are exploitable.

Utilize those who have in game to help the game at launch. the existing server cleaning system is going to clear a lot of content when the server goes live due to players not paying for beta and alpha accounts monthly.  Let that aspect of the server do its job. That just provides more content for players. 

We as a community have to stop jumping onto what ever story we hear. Have a little faith in the NQ staff. Im not trying to fan boy them. But at the end of the day we have to realize. This is fun time for us. Its work for them. This represents their income and life. The last thing they want to do is to harm that. The developers are on our side. but first they are on the games side. And even though we might not like their actions at times. We have to acknowledge they will only do whats best for the game and company.  And if there is a wipe. In a few years it will be like it never happened. 

We will all be laughing about the stupid crap we did during beta while the nubs are looking confused

I have two issues with this, but they are the same two issues I have with most of the arguments from the no wipe camp.

1. I can find far more instances, both before and after beta launched, of NQ saying that a launch wipe was possible, and that they would try to avoid it. Given that, I do not think the one or two mentions of no wipe constitutes any kind of promise of not wiping; at best you could say they were incredibly inconsistent in their messaging.

2. The objective is not to wipe because players are too far ahead. Obviously that would require a yearly wipe, since people will always be ahead. No, the point is how the players got ahead, even ignoring the exploits. Two major income sources are being removed or nerfed for launch that were in during beta: meganode mining, and alt mission running. The reality is that players who used these features are not just ahead, but are ahead in such a way that it is not feasible for anyone who comes after to even come close. New players cannot join and repeat the same methods older player used to get rich, and are in for a much, much, longer grind.

Otherwise, good post. People are being way too negative about this.

1 hour ago, Seripis said:

Unfortunately we are playing a Beta game.

More like eearly alpha still.

the developers did say there wouldn't be a wipe after alpha and there have been leaks and loose statements about a potential wipe since then.

Source? as this is not true

I do not think the developers want to wipe. If they did WANT to wipe it would have been a very clear statement from the beginning.  they would not have i

I actually believe a partial wipe was always the plan and al lthe talk is around a full/global wipe like we had prior to "beta" start. The latter I'd agree will not happen again.

I think wiping for the reason of player balance is not a good idea.

Player balance has never been a consideration,it is a factor pushed into the argument by some players

One of the biggest draws to du for new players is the creativity and seeing the things people have built and done in game. 

A bigger draw would be for new players coming in and finding experienced players there to take them on theior journey, including them in building the world togetrher.

Utilize those who have in game to help the game at launch. the existing server cleaning system is going to clear a lot of content when the server goes live due to players not paying for beta and alpha accounts monthly.  Let that aspect of the server do its job. That just provides more content for players. 

Actually I do not agree here, leaving htings as is will establish eth status quo, the have and have nots verry early on and in turn cause retention problems.

We as a community have to stop jumping onto what ever story we hear.

True, and "NQ promised to not wipe" is one of the most persistent and incorrect stories causing much mayhem. NQ being completelty out oftouch with tis and posting articlees that only fluel that argument is not really helping either.

You are actually playing part in the exact thing you are saying should not happen.

In a few years it will be like it never happened. 

Indeed as in a few years there will not be a game called DU.

NQ is already preparing for their next project and has now come out clearly stating the purpose of the company is NOT making DU as they claimed to be the case since kickstarter (source) ..

DU was what seesm to be an experiment, a showcase, a tool to develop what NQ considers their actual asset.. as many of us have said was the case for many years.

8 hours ago, Seripis said:

I never said nq promised not to wipe.  JC said he did not want to wipe in interviews.  And you missed the point of the post completely. 

You said:

"the developers did say there wouldn't be a wipe after alpha"

to which I replied
"Source? as this is not true"

Not sure what I missed here, you clearly are saying NQ said/promised to not wipe. And the comment was in relation to you voicing an idea which you effectively break yourself in the same post.. Trying to modify what you wrote after the fact to be able to argue a point is kind of a weak position to take especially when you try and spin it towards me "not understanding". If you read back and realize you may not have worded your opinion clear enough then sure, fair enough. But this is not me missing a point at all.

Lets look at the games current content. 

Builders, Probably the most fleshed out aspect of the game. You can build allot of cool buildings/ships. Players can join just for this alone. 

Industry, Everything from beginner basics, to advanced endgame stuff.  I could not see many people joining DU just to play an industrialist. A much higher player base with commodities leaving the game to be a real thing. 

Quest/Mission. Du only has a credit grinding system. No go scan, or go find or go collect, or go kill, or go talk, or bring me type system.  Noone is joining DU to do this except alt grinders. 

Transport. I have had friends who just like to haul stuff  around. more of a side thing then something that would bring players to play the game. 

Scripters/modders. Fairly in depth. I could see some coming to the game for this activity, but its going to be a small share of the player base. 

Marketers. Buy Low sell high. Player base is pretty small, and the items that are traded are limited. Its a doable thing in DU, but again I dont think anyone is going to come to DU to play a marketer. 

Exploration.  Not much to explore in DU. You can scan territories. You can scan asteroids. and you can located abandoned wrecks. While you can make money selling territories, Asteroid scanning is only for yourself and allies, Wrecks are lack luster. No one is joining DU to be an explorer. 

Miners. Its in the game. and while it has changed to a point that makes it harder for new players to get into. it still potentially be an aspect that players joing DU to only do as there are several ways to do it. 

PVP. The next updated should really help this category. Right now we pretty much only have staged events and pirate activities. Players are joining for this. And hopefully the next update makes it good for them. 

PVE. None. This would bring in as many players as the builder and PVE category, really surprised DU has done nothing for this. While PVP in Eve is what makes the game famous, Eve would never survive without the PVE content the game has. 

Collector. In a True MMO RPG Its always about fighting the endgame boss and getting that +1 sword. DU really lacks this hamster wheel setup. I always assumed these mechanics would come later on. But I really doubt it. 

Farming. None, no need for food/drink so no farming. And the thing is you would not even need food and drink to be consumed by the players to be an aspect of the game. These could be comodities that are sold to bots to keep the clones in the arkship alive. 

So what is the future of the game?

Well currently new player experience is long enough for most to not realise the game is empty of content. Although for those that become builders, they can continue to play forever oblivious to all things not building. Those looking for PVP spend a bunch of time gearing up only to realise that there are better PVP games out there. Those joining for industry and mining can keep themselves occupied, but unless they dabble in other activities will find the game lacking.  

So my opinion is wipe or no wipe, unless we get more content in the game, an influx of new players is not coming. 

10 hours ago, Nayropux said:

I have two issues with this, but they are the same two issues I have with most of the arguments from the no wipe camp.

1. I can find far more instances, both before and after beta launched, of NQ saying that a launch wipe was possible, and that they would try to avoid it. Given that, I do not think the one or two mentions of no wipe constitutes any kind of promise of not wiping; at best you could say they were incredibly inconsistent in their messaging.

2. The objective is not to wipe because players are too far ahead. Obviously that would require a yearly wipe, since people will always be ahead. No, the point is how the players got ahead, even ignoring the exploits. Two major income sources are being removed or nerfed for launch that were in during beta: meganode mining, and alt mission running. The reality is that players who used these features are not just ahead, but are ahead in such a way that it is not feasible for anyone who comes after to even come close. New players cannot join and repeat the same methods older player used to get rich, and are in for a much, much, longer grind.

Otherwise, good post. People are being way too negative about this.

The point with wealth is that the super uber ridiculously rich don't affect other players. I have yet to even hear of a case where this were the case. So, who cares if there are some people with game-lasting wealth if it doesn't affect other players.

Also should add. I feel two things should be added to the game before launch from that list. 

1 is PVE. It does not need to be a complex system.  I am talking about something similar to the alien cores. Except they are one time events. IE you dont place mining platforms. You go there and blow the auto turrets up and collect the 1 unit of plasma, or maybe a schematic, or maybe you get just fuel, or some honeycomb.  And this sites should be found via the deep space tracker. Talking about a medium core with 5 turrets on each side that shoot anything that comes in range. and a player has to destroy the shield, which then destroys all the turrets and then they can collect the item out of a container. 

2. Farming. And as I said above. its not for the survival aspect as I think to many people would hate having to eat and drink every so often. But it would be a thing to do. Crops could be sold to aphelia markets.  Boosters could be made with these crop items, IE enriched fuels, that consume less, or allow you to fly faster. Injectors to make you shoot faster.... Maybe a light weight fuel. Dyes for a paint gun that lets you change the color of a block. 

And its not that I think these things should be added to the game for the current player base. I think these are two major activities that will bring whole new demographics into the game, which means higher player base.  The PVE demographic will be just as large as the rest of the player base by itself. And there are entire games dedicated to farming which brings in whole new demographics into the game.  Basically I fell these two things are needed to support the player base that NQ needs for the game to survive.