Jump to content

Building is physically painfull


Cybob19
 Share

Agreed?  

22 members have voted

  1. 1. Agreed?

    • Totally
      13
    • I don't see what you mean
      9


Recommended Posts

Building has many many comfort of life issues:

-Remove the freaking hand and the tool, it's extremly cumbersome when you try to place something big in the bottom left corner.
-Add the option to stop elements from flashing, it's uncomfortable and distracting when you do details near elements, makes everything around it less visible.
-Add the option to toggle the outer grid, it often hides what I'm trying to see.
-Add the option to toggle the center of mass lines, it allways distracts from, and hides the true middle because one is almost never oriented in the perfect middle looking perfectly straigt along the grid.
-For the love of god don't do voxelmancy ripples, bulges and bumps on only 90° and 45° lines... Please give us a way to see and erase those metadatas.

Also did you have to make all nanopack aluminium voxels so überglossy the grid is basically invisible in 97% of lighting conditions, gosh I'm so glad the flashing elements reflect on the shiny voxels ?

Honestly it's so awful I keep stretching my neck - as if that would help - because I can't freaking see what I want to do.
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Overstimuloredom said:

Building has many many comfort of life issues:

-Remove the freaking hand and the tool, it's extremly cumbersome when you try to place something big in the bottom left corner.
-Add the option to stop elements from flashing, it's uncomfortable and distracting when you do details near elements, makes everything around it less visible.
-Add the option to toggle the outer grid, it often hides what I'm trying to see.
-Add the option to toggle the center of mass lines, it allways distracts from, and hides the true middle because one is almost never oriented in the perfect middle looking perfectly straigt along the grid.
-For the love of god don't do voxelmancy ripples, bulges and bumps on only 90° and 45° lines... Please give us a way to see and erase those metadatas.

Also did you have to make all nanopack aluminium voxels so überglossy the grid is basically invisible in 97% of lighting conditions, gosh I'm so glad the flashing elements reflect on the shiny voxels ?

Honestly it's so awful I keep stretching my neck - as if that would help - because I can't freaking see what I want to do.
 

Yeah, true story!

Also i would be nice to hold a thin in place before finally set it up. Because it would be possible then, to move around and check all sites ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/9/2020 at 10:00 AM, Overstimuloredom said:

Building has many many comfort of life issues:

-Remove the freaking hand and the tool, it's extremly cumbersome when you try to place something big in the bottom left corner.
-Add the option to stop elements from flashing, it's uncomfortable and distracting when you do details near elements, makes everything around it less visible.
-Add the option to toggle the outer grid, it often hides what I'm trying to see.
-Add the option to toggle the center of mass lines, it allways distracts from, and hides the true middle because one is almost never oriented in the perfect middle looking perfectly straigt along the grid.
-For the love of god don't do voxelmancy ripples, bulges and bumps on only 90° and 45° lines... Please give us a way to see and erase those metadatas.

Also did you have to make all nanopack aluminium voxels so überglossy the grid is basically invisible in 97% of lighting conditions, gosh I'm so glad the flashing elements reflect on the shiny voxels ?

Honestly it's so awful I keep stretching my neck - as if that would help - because I can't freaking see what I want to do.
 

This. 
ESPECIALLY this:
-For the love of god don't do voxelmancy ripples, bulges and bumps on only 90° and 45° lines... Please give us a way to see and erase those metadatas.

What would take me half an hour or an hour at most on games like space engineers or empyrion - which only give you blocks and significantly limit you to the preset shapes of the said blocks, takes me DAYS currently on dual universe and still comes out messy because voxels keep trying to merge with each other when I'm trying to get a clean angle or corner. It should be the other way round - considering how much more should be possible with Dual Universe engine, but instead of giving us the flexibility and options to mould voxels whichever way we see fit, it's a constant fight against the voxels deforming themselves whenever you place another set against them. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/10/2020 at 2:36 AM, Volkier said:

This. 
ESPECIALLY this:
-For the love of god don't do voxelmancy ripples, bulges and bumps on only 90° and 45° lines... Please give us a way to see and erase those metadatas.

What would take me half an hour or an hour at most on games like space engineers or empyrion - which only give you blocks and significantly limit you to the preset shapes of the said blocks, takes me DAYS currently on dual universe and still comes out messy because voxels keep trying to merge with each other when I'm trying to get a clean angle or corner. It should be the other way round - considering how much more should be possible with Dual Universe engine, but instead of giving us the flexibility and options to mould voxels whichever way we see fit, it's a constant fight against the voxels deforming themselves whenever you place another set against them. 

Highly agree with the statement in relation to Space Engineers. I could knock out a large GOOD looking hull design in hours within SE in what has taken me about 3 days so far in DU. And I'm still not satisfied with the end result.

 

I realize that apparently some people come from landmark and enjoy this system. But coming from years of Space Engineers, this has been a dreadful building experience for me and my fellow friends playing this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Neoki said:

Highly agree with the statement in relation to Space Engineers. I could knock out a large GOOD looking hull design in hours within SE in what has taken me about 3 days so far in DU. And I'm still not satisfied with the end result.

 

I realize that apparently some people come from landmark and enjoy this system. But coming from years of Space Engineers has been a dreadful building experience for me and my fellow friends playing this.

Oh don't get me wrong - there are far more possibilities than in space engineers with DU, but we need basic tools to utilise those instead of playing the guessing game as to what the voxels are going to 'clip' to:

 

- Visible mesh of voxel corners and a tool allowing us to move those corners (or just type in the x,y,z for those points manually) - this would cut down on the stress tremendously and already uses in game mechanics of how voxels behave - all that's needed is a visual and player input
-  Ability to alternate between voxels meshing to whatever you are placing, and whatever you are placing meshing to existing voxels.

- Copy paste actually copying and pasting an existing shape without ANY deformation of that shape. Pasted shape should override ANY voxelmancy that exists in that space, or randomly wants to create itself and deform random parts of the pasted blocks. 

- Option to place a voxel without affecting existing voxels or the voxel you are placing (I get that the last one might be a lot more tricky to made functional as to how the engine treats voxels though)
EDIT:
- This is probably the easiest - "Straighten tool" -  un-deforms selected voxels into their original placed shape.

Any of the above would make building actually fun and enjoyable instead of hours and hours of battling against voxels that do whatever they want, and every time you think you are beginning to understand the 'science' in their behaviour, they do some arbitrary and random BS that blows whatever theory you had out of the water.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I spent two hours cleaning up the bottom edge of a diagonal wall I copy pasted onto a flat floor (pop one tiny 45° slope block out, put it back in, rinse repeat). Why oh why did they have to 'triangle out' down there when the original was not that way?

 

Every single time this happened, it wasn't about shared grid points, or how voxels work. It was about it trying to be fancy with something I didn't want it to be fancy with. Sometimes changing a neighboring couple blocks, when I placed a third in a diagonal away (the only common side was the corner point which should not have morphed).

 

I keep looking for a toggle key to "Disable Magic Morphing Powers"...... but fail to find one. Judging by this thread, one does not exist, and really should exist.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/14/2020 at 8:05 PM, Neoki said:

Highly agree with the statement in relation to Space Engineers. I could knock out a large GOOD looking hull design in hours within SE in what has taken me about 3 days so far in DU. And I'm still not satisfied with the end result.

 

I realize that apparently some people come from landmark and enjoy this system. But coming from years of Space Engineers has been a dreadful building experience for me and my fellow friends playing this.

until landmark comes back from limbo this is the next best thing, but with ships and wobble dancing(needs another indicator to say how much those dinky turd parts actually help, and a damn mass/thrust/brake ratio, with both full and empty cargo markers, suggestor in the barely useful build helper)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/15/2020 at 2:58 PM, Frigidman said:

I spent two hours cleaning up the bottom edge of a diagonal wall I copy pasted onto a flat floor (pop one tiny 45° slope block out, put it back in, rinse repeat). Why oh why did they have to 'triangle out' down there when the original was not that way?

 

Every single time this happened, it wasn't about shared grid points, or how voxels work. It was about it trying to be fancy with something I didn't want it to be fancy with. Sometimes changing a neighboring couple blocks, when I placed a third in a diagonal away (the only common side was the corner point which should not have morphed).

 

I keep looking for a toggle key to "Disable Magic Morphing Powers"...... but fail to find one. Judging by this thread, one does not exist, and really should exist.

Completely agree, I just started playing with voxels but I feel extremely frustrated that even the basic shapes are a nighmare, probably because I'm missing the reasons why things morphs randomly. I mean, if I use the 45° slope and expand it there's like 95% chance that the tip will be broken, even with the simple 2x1 slope.

I guess I need to practice more.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dear Developers
I am pleased to have joined your up-and-coming project yesterday.
However, I am afraid I have already spent more than 10 hours battling to exhaustion the voxel warping.
To put the thing on display, I join my bane of the subject.
As you can see in the background, I successfully dodged the problem once using the triangular base form that goes diagonally.
Therefore, I know pointy aesthetics are possible.
However, achieving the same success when following the grid direction remains painfully elusive.
Best regards,

 

Obelisk summit.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...