Alliance Tournaments

yamamushi

The basic gist of this idea is based around the Alliance Tournaments in Eve Online, but with a bit of a twist on the rules.

I suggest a tournament be created (by players, nothing official) wherein a set of limitations are given to each participating alliance based around a type of ship. 

ie, weight restrictions, resources that can be used, size limits, etc. 

Given the restrictions, each team submits their best pilot to fly said ship (that they design and build) in a combat tournament to determine which alliance not only has the best pilots but also which alliance has the best builders and crafters in them. 

I enjoyed Eve's alliance tournament, and having it player given would be that much better but, I feel the best one would be when I hire 600 mercs to drop in on your cozy fun.

In the event that the devs do not provide their own official tournaments, then I would be very interested in seeing such a system created. Unfortunately at this time there is very little anyone can actually accomplish due to lack of information about the game itself.

In my opinion however the game developers would be much more suited to both organize and run tournaments as their position not only reduces the chance for biased decisions and bureaucracy it also allows for the creation of things like:

• referees with advanced debug information (to detect cheating)
  • custom/unique in game prices for the winners
  • arenas that can not be damaged and fights that can not be disrupted

@msoul, the Devs probably not interfere with the game to such a level gain that it would break their main selling point of "emergent game play" even if just for a short time.  And to your list I raise my own:

• What rules, there will be a ship count what else is needed? (Yes there are things that could be required, but half the fun would be seeing if you can do something against the rules without anyone noticing :P )
  • This game is all about custom
  • And yes, I agree as of now we know to little about this game to start planning a thing such as this.

The basic gist of this idea is based around the Alliance Tournaments in Eve Online, but with a bit of a twist on the rules.

I suggest a tournament be created (by players, nothing official) wherein a set of limitations are given to each participating alliance based around a type of ship. 

ie, weight restrictions, resources that can be used, size limits, etc. 

Given the restrictions, each team submits their best pilot to fly said ship (that they design and build) in a combat tournament to determine which alliance not only has the best pilots but also which alliance has the best builders and crafters in them. 

Space Olympics, anyone?

I don't think we know too little about the game to plan something like this.

- We know that ships are going to be custom made. 

- We know the physics of ships involving weight is going to be important 

- We know that the placement of engines and other elements on ships will affect their flight capability

- We know that different materials will have different attributes like weight, strength, etc. 

I'm happy to give citations on each of those points if necessary.

Even with those very basic bits of information we know enough to say "we will give a list of guidelines that your ship must follow", and it's trivial to setup a tournament style where there will be a process of elimination, best of 3 rounds for each pair up.

I'm not talking about a tournament with fleets of ships, but just 1v1 matches between the best ships that alliances can create (following the guidelines we can create once we know more about the mechanics of ship construction, which should be elaborated on shortly with the next dev video).

We don't really need devs (or Novaquark) running the show, it would be nice but that's not the point of why I made this post. 

People should be competing to prove that they are the best, not for some ingame reward given out by Novaquark. 

I don't think we know too little about the game to plan something like this.

- We know that ships are going to be custom made. 

- We know the physics of ships involving weight is going to be important 

- We know that the placement of engines and other elements on ships will affect their flight capability

- We know that different materials will have different attributes like weight, strength, etc. 

I'm happy to give citations on each of those points if necessary.

Even with those very basic bits of information we know enough to say "we will give a list of guidelines that your ship must follow", and it's trivial to setup a tournament style where there will be a process of elimination, best of 3 rounds for each pair up.

I'm not talking about a tournament with fleets of ships, but just 1v1 matches between the best ships that alliances can create (following the guidelines we can create once we know more about the mechanics of ship construction, which should be elaborated on shortly with the next dev video).

We don't really need devs (or Novaquark) running the show, it would be nice but that's not the point of why I made this post. 

People should be competing to prove that they are the best, not for some ingame reward given out by Novaquark. 

I enjoy the idea of a 1 v 1 brawl to the death, thus proving who has the best ship design skills and at higher end ships styles/classes, the best crews.

The ability to have be player run at a location that is only given to competitors would be a must though, as I'm sure someone would love to just spoil the fun. The guildelines could be fairly simple or they could be very broad, that's all to be decided, but regardless, I enjoy this idea. 

As for rewards, maybe a large org could sponsor it and provide in-game rewards (Cash, new ships, etc, etc) - thus creating a bit more of competitive environment.