An alternative respawn lore

0something0

There was another thread here about the implications of resurrection by alternate timelines. I would have posted this here but I didn't want to necro that thread. 

Anyway, currently, the lore explanation on respawn upon death is that you get transported to an alternate universe. However, my idea was that you have a near-up-to-date scan of your brain being sent to the arkship servers/res nodes and when you die, a backup copy of your brain is loaded onto an android/clone with mind interface implants at the res node. This mainly is for purposes of avoiding the implications of jumping into alternate universes. 

33 minutes ago, 0something0 said:

There was another thread here about the implications of resurrection by alternate timelines. I would have posted this here but I didn't want to necro that thread. 

Anyway, currently, the lore explanation on respawn upon death is that you get transported to an alternate universe. However, my idea was that you have a near-up-to-date scan of your brain being sent to the arkship servers/res nodes and when you die, a backup copy of your brain is loaded onto an android/clone with mind interface implants at the res node. This mainly is for purposes of avoiding the implications of jumping into alternate universes. 

That's very close to how Eve Online does things. 

I think it should be avoided simply due to potential legal issues.

On 10/27/2017 at 11:14 PM, CoreVamore said:

I don't think CCP (the owners of Eve) could sue over that XD it's too hard to claim copyright infringement over an aspect of a story like that.

A similar case happened way back when Hollywood tried to sue Nintendo because Donkey Kong kidnapping a girl and climbing up a building, was too similar to King Kong kidnapping a girl and climbing up a building.

CCP doesn't own the concept of transhumanism or cyberpunk. Capsuleers in EVE are cyborgs that can upload their consciousness ( or more like a copy of it) to other bodies.

Teleportation in the real world - yes, we have managed teleportation in the real world, just not how you'd expect it - works by tuurning a person into a series of code and then ejecting that code like you'd upload any software. The other side would then just rematerialise the person depending on their information o nthe moment of the teleport. This creates a problem... you don't travel anywhere, the other side just prints a copy of you. Information can be teleproted, but not matter itself. Two of you will exist afterwards.

However, with a quantum probabilistic machine like an RN, the universe comes down to a cosmic roulette, you being the ball bouncing around and death is just a spin on the roulette. The moment you "die". you are pulled - out of anywhere - onto the RN you have registered as your home. The RN pulls you to it, materialising you on its quantum field, with the only real problem being nothing else other than your default body can travel with you, so, it's "teleport" but it's more like "the RN prioritises your bodily safety, than your material safety, so in order to pul lyou to it, it ignroes anythign you wear", that includes, your inventory and gear - and hey, in the process, due to the RN not being 1:1 accurate, it's probabilstic, some of your gear may break apart as atoms are snatched out of inside its armor to save you, and become junk in the process, so there, explanation why some of your gear is loot and some of it is just junk or trash items.

Just don't mistake the words "probability", "possibility" and "chance". One is mathematically used, one is theoretically applicable and one is a word people who take stupid risks claim was "why it went wrong". RNs are probabilistic, they work on probabilities and probabilities, the more variables are involved, the more innaccurate they become, so hence why you don't respawn with items. Too many variables to keep track of.

You becoming immortal is a quantum probability. Is it possible? Not in the way oyu'd expect ti t to be. Sure, we can throw you in a fridge forever, you'd be not walking around, enjoying your existence, but you'd not be dead either, hence you'd be "immortal" in such a state. See, science is like the old tales of "careful what you wish for".

RNs are not immortality. They just trick the cosmic roulette on "where John will be on the moment of near death". Whenever John is about to die, POOF, he's in the RN. Why? Cause probabilities. How probable would it be for John to be on the RN on the moment of near death? Apparently absolutely probable as far as Resurrection Nodes are concerned, no matter how far John may be.

Quantum Mechanics : it's like magic, only scietifically plausible and really confusing if you don't study math a lot.

On 28/10/2017 at 5:14 AM, CoreVamore said:

CCP hasn't invented it: you can find this idea in several books (I think about universes from Peter F. Hamilton for example).

I'm for keeping what we have now though.

Regards,

Shadow

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Stanislaw Lem, Star Diaries, Journey 14th. 1956 - Replication of body based on saved data. CCP can't sue anyone for such system. The idea is 62 years old, and not even invented by them.

That being said I'm in favour of bio-robots controlled by minds of people who are still on Ark-ship in their safe cryo-chambers. Current lore looks over-complicated and too pseudo-scientific. KISS.

Also I don't see any reason to keep any equipment you had when you died - but that's more of gameplay than lore, so not really for this part of the forum.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...