No more rings in videos

FD3242

I request that the orange rings you can see when flying are disabled when showing flight in videos.

I was looking though this videos comments https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KK4y2ImickQ&t=5s

and I'm seeing a lot about the rings. Usually asking what they are and can they be disabled.

I fear it may be a slight turn off for some people if they think they can't be disabled.

I'm not asking you remove them from the game,

just not show them in videos as they can be confusing for people new to this community/game.

These are very much work in progress, and not representative  of the final product. That's been said several times in the videos, and if people don't get that there's really nothing NQ can do.

Besides, without them, you wouldn't be able to tell if you were moving in open space. I agree that they're not at all pretty, but that's ok, it's a pre-alpha game, it's not going to be pretty.

5 minutes ago, Vorengard said:

These are very much work in progress, and not representative  of the final product. That's been said several times in the videos, and if people don't get that there's really nothing NQ can do.

Besides, without them, you wouldn't be able to tell if you were moving in open space. I agree that they're not at all pretty, but that's ok, it's a pre-alpha game, it's not going to be pretty.

Yes they are very work in progress.

Which is a good reason not to show them until they are done.

Edit: Or until there in a more finished state.

I think this has been the most hostile thread I have seen in a while. @mefsh had an opinion and shared it; I don't see a problem. It's a lot more sane then a lot of things that get said here.

My opinion is that the ring things should stay in the videos. If people ask what they are and notice them, that means they are seeing something that they don't see in other games. The questions would then bring up the fact that DU is using a more realistic physics than a lot of space games. This is something that people may be interested in. So I don't think that removing the things that make DU different in their development videos is a good idea.

But beside that, I think it's strange for people to worry about whether something like the loops will be toggle-able in the options. If such a large percentage of the people in the video comments are already concerned about it now, the chances that it will not be a toggle by launch are very low. I would expect that it will either be made more subtle or there would be options to customize it.

If people ask what they are, be a good community member and tell them. I know I did on one youtube vid. "The Rings show velocity in space, as well as the direction of your flight. They can be turned off if you wish." Ctrl + C, Ctrl + V. Maybe link the video up there that explains what they are.

Helps to show that we care about being polite and welcoming to new people.

2 hours ago, CommanderLouiz said:

If people ask what they are, be a good community member and tell them. I know I did on one youtube vid. "The Rings show velocity in space, as well as the direction of your flight. They can be turned off if you wish." Ctrl + C, Ctrl + V. Maybe link the video up there that explains what they are.

Helps to show that we care about being polite and welcoming to new people.

Control C / Control V Warriors, is what made Star Citizen the vicious attack dog communtiy it is.

They still to this day Control C / Control V things that are no longer true, due to it being "easier" than, you know, asking the facts.

No worries, NQ will adress the Superman 64 flying circles on a later Dev Diary with a throwaway line like "the flypath guiding assistance circles, can be turned off".|

It's not your job to play PR. It's Nyzaltar's and Co. job to  give solid answers.

To prove my point. Your Control C / Control V Warrior attitude, just Copypasted an inaccuracy. The rings represent a fly-path, NOT velocity.

Anyway, 

I think it's a good thing that people take the time to talk about it in the comments. And I have seen a lot of stupid comments too. This one person thought it meant that space flight was on rails. 

Lucky for us NQ is made up of very smart people. 

10 hours ago, CaptainTwerkmotor said:

It's not your job to play PR. It's Nyzaltar's and Co. job to  give solid answers.

To prove my point. Your Control C / Control V Warrior attitude, just Copypasted an inaccuracy. The rings represent a fly-path, NOT velocity.

True on the PR bit, I just like to help.

As for the "Prove a point" point, I would not say it's an inaccuracy. While the rings don't specifically give you a velocity, it helps you to gauge it because as the ship speeds up, so did the frequency of the rings passing by. That is until the ship reached a certain speed, at which the rings spaced out. But they still continued to pass by faster as the ship went faster.

11 hours ago, CaptainTwerkmotor said:

[...]

The rings represent a fly-path, NOT velocity.

17 minutes ago, CommanderLouiz said:

[...]

While the rings don't specifically give you a velocity, it helps you to gauge it because as the ship speeds up, so did the frequency of the rings passing by. That is until the ship reached a certain speed, at which the rings spaced out. But they still continued to pass by faster as the ship went faster.

I didn't notice if the ring-passing-speed matched the forward velocity. I'll have to re-watch it. But they are probably calculated by the change of the velocity vector; don't know if they are going about it using the algebra or calculus route though.

3 hours ago, CommanderLouiz said:

True on the PR bit, I just like to help.

As for the "Prove a point" point, I would not say it's an inaccuracy. While the rings don't specifically give you a velocity, it helps you to gauge it because as the ship speeds up, so did the frequency of the rings passing by. That is until the ship reached a certain speed, at which the rings spaced out. But they still continued to pass by faster as the ship went faster.

It's a point A to Point B "path" in space. These kind of circles is what AI use for pathing (minus the circles, its' the same principle).

If yo unoticed, the circles don't "predict" where you'll go, they only tell you "stay on this path, as it's the shortest dsitance between your Original poitn and your destination".

1 minute ago, CaptainTwerkmotor said:

It's a point A to Point B "path" in space. These kind of circles is what AI use for pathing (minus the circles, its' the same principle).

If yo unoticed, the circles don't "predict" where you'll go, they only tell you "stay on this path, as it's the shortest dsitance between your Original poitn and your destination".

I am pretty sure that you are very wrong. According to my understanding from the video, they are an orbital trajectory path prediction, taking into account both your current acceleration and whether or not you are using the inertia dampener thing.

Just now, Shockeray said:

I am pretty sure that you are very wrong. According to my understanding from the video, they are an orbital trajectory path prediction, taking into account both your current acceleration and whether or not you are using the inertia dampener thing.

Well then, we can only wait for NQ to respond on that and clear thigns up.

Way I saw it, the circles lead directly on top of the tile JC was heading on the video.  The moment the circles vansihed, it was when JC entered atmosphere.

2 hours ago, Shockeray said:

Correct. You'll notice the rings speed up as he goes faster, and bend ahead of him to indicate what the heading will be after the turn is complete. The whole purpose of the rings (as explained in a previous video, which Twerk should remember) is as navigational aids for space travel. Otherwise, there wouldn't be any way to judge turns and approach vectors in open space, because everything you'd use for a frame of reference is so far away.

The rings are most likely a representation of a predicted path based on current velocity and acceleration. It looks like the rings are spaced at fixed intervals, but the length of the interval changes in discrete steps (in the full video you can see it switch step size if I'm not mistaken).

It probably uses the same numeric integrator that does the actual physics simulation with the same state and inputs (in terms of like, a phase space), except that it steps further (many seconds) into the future of the actual physics simulation. I mean it might be a different, more inexpensive integrator or larger step size or something if they're worried about the overhead, but it doesn't really matter. Point being that it's clearly a predicted path of the ship, given it's current state (velocity, acceleration).

[EDIT: The whole state space idea is kind of weird in this context, I'll grant you. I mean, in this case the way I've described it, the space (the vector field) would kind of evolve with time if the acceleration isn't constant. The concept isn't as useful in systems that aren't deterministic even in principle, I guess. I'm just used to thinking of simulations in terms of multidimensional state evolving through time, like in a simple mass-spring system or something. The basic idea still applies, though -- it's integrating numerically in discrete time-steps based on current position, momentum and acceleration.]

51 minutes ago, LurkNautili said:

The rings are most likely a representation of a predicted path based on current velocity and acceleration. It looks like the rings are spaced at fixed intervals, but the length of the interval changes in discrete steps (in the full video you can see it switch step size if I'm not mistaken).

It probably uses the same numeric integrator that does the actual physics simulation with the same state and inputs (in terms of like, a phase space), except that it steps further (many seconds) into the future of the actual physics simulation. I mean it might be a different, more inexpensive integrator or larger step size or something if they're worried about the overhead, but it doesn't really matter. Point being that it's clearly a predicted path of the ship, given it's current state (velocity, acceleration).

From what I understood it was exactly that ^