Spawning

<p>If someone joins our(Or someone else) org and then the game comes out, we should make it so we can have a dedicated spot for our people to spawn. Will this exist?</p>

<p>If someone joins our(Or someone else) org and then the game comes out, we should make it so we can have a dedicated spot for our people to spawn. Will this exist?</p>

"

I promise I won't be a killjoy here, but...why is this necessary? 

According to the lore, everyone came from the Arkship, no? Binding player initial spawn points to the organisation's HQ or Res node will, to a degree, hamper the social interaction.  

It's one thing to limit the interaction of your members with the outside world, and another thing entirely if your focus is for the ease of the players. Players should be the ones to make the journey to your HQ, or, if you will, just place a res node at the Arkship area, or a star gate...or an outpost. When there's a need, it's wonderful to innovate something to fill that need. 

But, your suggested method needs some more explanation in my opinion. Why is this necessary for everyone? What problem do you hope to solve? Is this how it should be solved? Is this the best way to resolve it, and why do you think so? 

Cheers.

"

It has already been stated that all players start at the Arkship. This is for gameplay and lore reasons. Any player that wishes to spawn anywhere else must first physically reach the resurrection node they wish to spawn at. So ideally, an organization WOULD want to do what you are suggestion, but it cannot be done in the WAY that you suggest it. It cannot be automatic.

It has already been stated that all players start at the Arkship. This is for gameplay and lore reasons. Any player that wishes to spawn anywhere else must first physically reach the resurrection node they wish to spawn at. So ideally, an organization WOULD want to do what you are suggestion, but it cannot be done in the WAY that you suggest it. It cannot be automatic.

Well there will be a one time teleport, available for several days/weeks later in the game. If an org has it's base 493847489208777 lj away, it would be awkward for newbros to go there. Even though I think thats part of the fun, but what do I know ;)

Well there will be a one time teleport, available for several days/weeks later in the game. If an org has it's base 493847489208777 lj away, it would be awkward for newbros to go there. Even though I think thats part of the fun, but what do I know ;)

AFAIK the only one time teleport is when a new arkship is discovered and people want to switch to the new starting area.

While certainly convenient, a one time teleport to an org facility it is unforgiving of mistakes, and limits player interaction. Why not organize ferries for the newbros? And if another rival org gets wind of a reinforcement vessel, people have to get creative. Yes, pirates may need to smuggle out their new arrivals. That's call emergent gameplay.

I was under the impression there would be no magical teleportation in DU. Though it sounds like I missed something that was said.

I would prefer it if orgs would just transport their people from the Arkship to their HQ's. It creates more gameplay.

A teleport button, even for the arkship, would be awkward. It gives you a risk free transport.

AFAIK the only one time teleport is when a new arkship is discovered and people want to switch to the new starting area.

While certainly convenient, a one time teleport to an org facility it is unforgiving of mistakes, and limits player interaction. Why not organize ferries for the newbros? And if another rival org gets wind of a reinforcement vessel, people have to get creative. Yes, pirates may need to smuggle out their new arrivals. That's call emergent gameplay.

Yes it'll be only a thing when a second ark zone is discovered. And your points are exactly why I think getting there by foot would be much more emergent.

^Seconded. I believe you should have to access/get to the RN first and also have permissions to use it. Otherwise it could be heavily abused. In saying that, having to need permission to spawn there, could mean that it hackable and someone can gain entrance via that way. But I am unsure wether that would be beneficial/good.

A lore friendly reason to having to physically get to the RN first is it needs to get your dna sequence (Or whatever) so it can spawn you back in.

A lore friendly reason to having to physically get to the RN first is it needs to get your dna sequence (Or whatever) so it can spawn you back in.

Logically it would behave like every other element. It will be tied to the RDMS. You die, you rezz at the closest RN that allows you to. If your org has a public RN (if such a thing exists) you would spawn there if its the closest RN available to you. Unfortunately that also means you can sort of cheat to use it for long distance travel. And other shenanigans.

Its not perfect but nothing ever is.

Logically it would behave like every other element. It will be tied to the RDMS. You die, you rezz at the closest RN that allows you to. If your org has a public RN (if such a thing exists) you would spawn there if its the closest RN available to you. Unfortunately that also means you can sort of cheat to use it for long distance travel. And other shenanigans.

Its not perfect but nothing ever is.

You can I only use that free teleport one time only, so no cheating there.

With public or personal RN you'd still have to travel 50,000000001 % of the distance and then kill yourself to spawn there. If that's considered cheating is not up to me to decide. If implemented that way, it's just using game mechanics to me. You'd still lose items ofc.

You can I only use that free teleport one time only, so no cheating there.

With public or personal RN you'd still have to travel 50,000000001 % of the distance and then kill yourself to spawn there. If that's considered cheating is not up to me to decide. If implemented that way, it's just using game mechanics to me. You'd still lose items ofc.

Yes, thats what I meant Lethys.

Its sort of cheatish but like I said nothing is ever perfect. And perfectly legal within the system, cheating in the sense that the RN system is designed to prevent it being used as a travel system.

Where was that 1 time teleport mentioned?

I might have missed an interview? But the 1 time teleport would be fine in my opinion. It is a binding choice so I wouldnt mind. :P

I think just having the option to spawn at the nearest arkship on character creation would be fine. Or if on character creation you can accept organisation invites then when you spawn you are spawned near to other organisation members automatically to keep the immersion. 

Yes, thats what I meant Lethys.

Its sort of cheatish but like I said nothing is ever perfect. And perfectly legal within the system, cheating in the sense that the RN system is designed to prevent it being used as a travel system.

Where was that 1 time teleport mentioned?

I might have missed an interview? But the 1 time teleport would be fine in my opinion. It is a binding choice so I wouldnt mind. :P

Uhm. Some interview. Lol I have no idea, sorry mate. He said that in connection with the huge universe and maybe hundreds of planets inhabited and how players are able to get to their org

Uhm. Some interview. Lol I have no idea, sorry mate. He said that in connection with the huge universe and maybe hundreds of planets inhabited and how players are able to get to their org

Ah no worries. I'll take your word for it. ;)

Yes it'll be only a thing when a second ark zone is discovered. And your points are exactly why I think getting there by foot would be much more emergent.

Ah.  Slight misunderstanding here.  Your original reply could be taken to mean that anyone can switch to anywhere.  But I assume that you meant the switch only to the new ark zone starting area.  I don't have an issue with the switch to the ark zone area, since it is effectively where you respawn when all your other rez nodes have failed. 

But switching to any rez node anywhere just seems... well... silly.

But you can't switch RNs, it is automatic isn't it? You respawn at the closest one, not one you choose. This could lead to people dropping all their gear, dying, then choosing to spawn in another galaxy which would be this magical teleportation. 

But you can't switch RNs, it is automatic isn't it? You respawn at the closest one, not one you choose. This could lead to people dropping all their gear, dying, then choosing to spawn in another galaxy which would be this magical teleportation.

Yep the system chooses the closest RN that is open to you.

So in a sense you can still use it to travel. I think its "impossible" to design a system that cant be gamed.

But "switching" I mean changing your "zeroth" rez node: The rez node you will spawn at when all other rez nodes fail.  So no, you can't change where you will rez normally: it will always be the closest one.

But "switching" I mean changing your "zeroth" rez node: The rez node you will spawn at when all other rez nodes fail.  So no, you can't change where you will rez normally: it will always be the closest one.

It should just continue to search for the nearest RN.

A-------B------C--------D---------E

If you are closest to RN A, but A through C are downed or disabled, then you should spawn at D, no selection made. The game should handle this itself.

I don't know if you are trolling or I am failing to explain properly.

You realize we are talking about changing your arkship rez node to the 2nd arkship rez node when it is discovered in around 2 years time?

I don't know if you are trolling or I am failing to explain properly.

You realize we are talking about changing your arkship rez node to the 2nd arkship rez node when it is discovered in around 2 years time?

No I am not trolling. Im sorry that was my bad, I didn't realize you were talking about the arkship rez nodes. I guess for those, it would be nice to move your spawn but only if you personally have visited the node

No I am not trolling. Im sorry that was my bad, I didn't realize you were talking about the arkship rez nodes. I guess for those, it would be nice to move your spawn but only if you personally have visited the node

I put it down to my bad explanations then ;) (And I agree with what you said, because that is exactly how rez nodes work)

The point is that it was indicated by JC that DU *may* allow for a free once off switch to the new arkship when the time comes. Though I think this is quite a way away (around 2 years after release).  

The OP was suggesting special organization related rez nodes, which means new players belonging to an org can just rez at the org home base.  Which at first glance looks quite appealing to organizations that have a base far from the arkship or for the more nomadic organizations. But ultimately defeats player interaction and the resultant emergent gameplay.  I don't think this will be the last time that convenience is weighed against the creation principles of the game. 

I put it down to my bad explanations then ;) (And I agree with what you said, because that is exactly how rez nodes work)

The point is that it was indicated by JC that DU *may* allow for a free once off switch to the new arkship when the time comes. Though I think this is quite a way away (around 2 years after release).  

The OP was suggesting special organization related rez nodes, which means new players belonging to an org can just rez at the org home base.  Which at first glance looks quite appealing to organizations that have a base far from the arkship or for the more nomadic organizations. But ultimately defeats player interaction and the resultant emergent gameplay.  I don't think this will be the last time that convenience is weighed against the creation principles of the game. 

I wonder how long it will take players to find a 2nd Arkship after launch (if they even are putting one in the game). I do agree that it will take away some player interaction. It will be interesting when we are further through launch and large Orgs need to shuttle their noob members from the Arkship to their home base. It will need to be guarded, safe, and very efficient.