Navigation and Exploration Mechanics

yamamushi

While I'm aware that there won't be actual orbits in Dual Universe, I've been playing Hellion quite a bit lately and I've grown fond of its navigation interface and mechanics.

Which has me thinking about Dual Universe, of course...

We haven't been told much about exactly how the mechanics of navigating to another planet or solar system might look, suffice to say I think we've heard more about the technological mechanics than the interface itself.

I think it would be a noteworthy addition to Dual Universe if the interface for determining where you are going to arrive when you set out at warp speed for a planet or new solar system, operated in a similar way to the navigation interface of Hellion.

To illustrate what I'm referring to, here is an image with labels for the various parts of the navigation interface:

nDTeGqH.png

It would be an interesting way of determining where you are going to land after you exit warp and would give navigators/pilots a bit more flexibility. It would also give a way for large fleets to organize on a specific position in space.

I was also thinking that this could play a part in how solar systems are explored and plotted out, wherein you would need to either put a probe into an "orbit" (not really an orbit because the game won't support that, but for illustration purpose, we'll use that word) or yourself, then initiate a scan of the surrounding area. 

Im looking forward to that idea. And so far we've seen the big holo map of a planet in one of the videos, which is hopefully more than a map and something you can plot courses from.

While Apoapsis and Periapsis won't have their true meaning in DU I truly believe they should name those points that way (and perhaps lagrange points too) just for immersions sake.

I don't know how those procedurally generated systems are calculated and if it is known beforehand how that system looks like (maybe someone more capable than me can elaborate on this) - so some "entry points" would be nice to have. Be it either a probe which has to scan the system beforehand, or some points in space (apo- and periapsis, lagrange points) or even the rim of a new system to start your exploration.

Adding on a bit. Say exploration/scanning is done by the pilot entering an orbit. Reaches a certain velocity/trajectory and it automatically puts you into the default scanning orbit.

Now, from there you scan set your Apoapsis and Periapsis, changing your orbit. The closer your are in your orbit, the higher detail of the scan you get back, except it covers a smaller area (because you are closer), and thus takes more time. If gravity is a thing, its more fuel consuming and dangerous.

On the other side you could choose to pick a larger/longer orbit. This would scan more of the planet in an orbit, requiring less time and orbits, but giving you a lower detail. Again, if we have a proper grabity well, it would be less fuel consuming and safer.

Tl:dr - A mechanic that allows us to choose our orbits when scanning a planet closer = more detail but slower, further = less detail but faster.

It's also important to mention that Hellion is more on the simulation side in space, whereas DU is not only less realistic in these terms, but also has planets with players on them. 

While a precise interface as shown would definitely be fun and useful, it probably doesn't require that much detail concerning orbits or coordinates in the system, but could instead contain information about positions relative to parts of the planetary surfaces as in the hexagons for the territory system or simply using planetary aspects like hemispheres and poles to go into detail about locations. 

From what little I've played from EVE and combining it with what Dark said...

In eve there is the "Customs Office" that orbits every planet and so put that mechanic in DU, the player would then have to send it around an already set "orbit" where it would begin to scan the planet's surface.

So to limit what the player can do, there could be different types of offices and modules attached to the satellite that allows it to upgrade the scans of the planet.  

For example, a Small Survey Satellite will be relatively cheap and be able to do the basic scanning of a planet, allow just enough info needed to see if the planet is worth any real time for a large org to begin mining it.  Bingo, this planet looks pretty good after waiting some time.  Lets upgrade the satellite to... idk a Medium Kyrium Survey Scanner which is pricey, but allows much quicker results and is specifically for finding rare Kyrium, as opposed to a large clumps of low grade materials.  Uh-oh!  Some pirates showed up and want to blow up the scanner while its doing its thing, well that's why you were smart enough to attached a simple array of Small Hybrid Turrets that can rid those pesky pirates if the satellite is attacked or the shield around it is depleted.  idk

Fuelblocks could be a thing if you used Large structures that allow for many more features and such, or perhaps some "Solar Panel Array" is needed to be equipped and if that is damaged then nothing on the satellite works so a player could essentially steal it without damaging it?

Here's a pic for reference:

PI-AlteredHeatMap.jpg

I mean... Lua can take care of orbits. Just have sensors gage two distances on a planet in a triangle, and rig the script so it aligns and maintains a trajectory over a spot on the planet at 90 degrees, while you maintain speed in "orbit" over it. Or be a renegade, set the orbit to go ounter clock-sise and scan the planet below as it revolves below you. That can work as well.

In a star system, the same scripts for "orbits" can be adjusted for an auto-puilot to land a ship on a planet, over your PERSONAL landing pad. However, that can be destructive, if Johnny Malarchy decided your parking spot is his and your autopilot lands you on top of Johhny's Dickcraft. I mean the concept works in Hellion, cause it's a single-player / co-op game - and as far as I know, the auto-pilot in Hellion is ran server-side.

I personally am all out for manual piloting and landing. Exploration should be something difficult, not just "juggling" gages on a screen. I mean, if no skill is needed in landing, pilots might as well be omitted from the game in their entirety. If industriaists can make a name for being top producers of an item, pilots should also be allowed to have fame on their piloting skills or knowledge of flight mechanics in the game.

If automation like that is enabled in the game, we'll only end up with the same EVE cancer of an arguement that "nah, you can catch up to a person in skill training" only to realise 10 million SPs in that the other guys have 10 mining alt accounts and 2 haulers who fly in an auto-pilot all the time. The mining part is secure, so let's just not make hauling into an AFK piloting profession.