Devs supervision & security

swefpifh

Greetings,

the game concept is very interesting, nevertheless you should take a lesson from EVE online on the mentality of the players that the developers as authorized.

Allow total control players can be a mistake. It suffices a big organization decided to take control of your game to rot it.

The purpose is not to restrict certain activities, but to monitor any malicious and extremely repetitive behavior.

• - Controler territories, yes. But being careful that this is not an organization that controls 70% of a universe.
  • - Piracy, Yes. But the fight against the same players of preventing them from harassment to thrive in the universe.
  • - Influencing the economy, yes. But do not allow players to completely controlling the economy.
  • - Specialization in skills, yes. But prevent yourself a hierarchical system timed skills (EVE Online). Because it would allow players to the first time to take much in advance. And players arriving several months later would be late and would suffer heavy losses due to lack of skills.

The purpose of a game is to have fun, not to annoy a community and make anti-play. Already we see enough in real life.

Sorry for my engligh.

And how did you imagine this supervision? There wont be such things in this game devs will only harrass cheaters. They want the community to form community (this makes no sense :( ) and protect this community from pirates.

and imagine you control the 70% of the galaxy and then a dev just ruins your empire.

the teritory and piracy thing could be something to note... if it hadnt been addressed already.

I can tell you now how much territory the largest orginazation will control, 0%. or the limit as X approaches it. Remember the universe is infinite. Someone have that teritory, move on.

Furthermore as JC stated, with there being no choke points it will be harder to control large territories. you can enter amd exit a given space from anywhere around a 3D sphere.

As for piracy, sure it will likely happen on trade routes, so what. Deal with it yourself thats the point of emergent game play.

I dont see where someone can control the market, or why it woulf matter. Everything is player made, meaning it comes from what you and others harvest. If no one controls all the teritory you can just mine yourself and make it, or make your own market elsewhere

all this topics have already received an answer:

1)in eve you control a single station, here to control a planet you need a ridicolous amount of territorial control units, it's not worth to. And mantaining the security of a single solar system isn't a easy task, it would require thousands of players, since there's not a single entry point like eve

2)camping is hard, because again, there's not a single entry point. Other than that, if you're scared about pirates, there are safezones or territories claimed by organizations.

3)Economy is economy

4)80% of skills can be trained easily, 20% will take longer, so that new players can catch up.

I would not let myself be guided by abstract fears when a lot of the actual gameplay (and mechanics) and even the social spheres (organizations that form, etc) are not clear yet.

I also think that if "emergent gameplay" is the tagline and a vital part of this upcoming title, then the rough Necromonger saying should be valid. "You keep what you kill", and in that sense, "you deserve what you obtain after hard work".

Players should be the driving factor of what happens in the game if the game is advertised as such. I understand underlying concerns of "strangleholds" that larger organizations could enact on others. Ideally, game space will be large enough, vast, even, to allow plenty of room for many groups, meaning that you could in theory evade those who focus on certain systems.

In addition, you'll also eventually find your own safe spaces to settle down or roam in. If you don't like an increasing stranglehold, do something about it by finding like-minded people to fight against it or evade it. To summarize, power to the player. If the game space will indeed be vast, then even large hostile organizations with hundreds or around a thousand or more players should in theory not be a problem too much. Chances are similar groups will form and fight each other anyway, meaning that you can somehow get by.

Demanding game developer or moderator supervision would in most cases be against emergent gameplay, and depending on how it would be done, feel artificial. I also have to ask: Why would you almost "punish" (and how exactly) a larger group of people who worked hard to get where they are?

Regarding control and domination by mega organizations, we know this is a problem in EvE but this should be less extreme in Dual Universe, due to the structure of the game. What exacerbate this kind of situation is the existence of "bottlenecks": secure areas (Npc space stations in EvE) has a unique exit point, easy to camp. It's also fairly easy to secure/control a solar system by guarding the entry/exit points under the form of stargates. In Dual Universe you won't have this kind of situation: maintaining a blocus will be way harder than in any other game of the genre if the safe zones won't have just on entry/exit point, but you can leave the 20km diameter half sphere from any side. how about digging a tunnel to exit from underground, anywhere on a half-sphere of 20km radius? That is a surface of 2500 km2 (1000 miles2). Same apply for controlling solar systems or just planets: as attacks could come from anywhere, even huge organizations will try to fortify the most interesting places than dispatching their forces to get the monopole. Unlike in EvE Online, securing a whole solar system will require far more players than in EvE Online. We may be wrong, but we highly doubt that even an organization containing thousands of players could control more a very tiny part of the galaxy, due to the reasons explained above.

From NQ

Balancing mechanics is something that's an on going process in mmo, if one organisation gets too powerful the devs could either tweak the game to give underdogs an advantage or if it was really bad spawn in an asteriod going towards the capital :D

all this topics have already received an answer:

1)in eve you control a single station, here to control a planet you need a ridicolous amount of territorial control units, it's not worth to. And mantaining the security of a single solar system isn't a easy task, it would require thousands of players, since there's not a single entry point like eve

2)camping is hard, because again, there's not a single entry point. Other than that, if you're scared about pirates, there are safezones or territories claimed by organizations.

3)Economy is economy

4)80% of skills can be trained easily, 20% will take longer, so that new players can catch up.

I know EVE Online, I have over 4 years to play on it and i stopped 2 years ago. But on EVE, ths devs allow the scamming and others malicious actions. Dual Universe can be great, but if the community can reproduce the same actions of EVE, no interest. I prefer to stay on the Star Citizen project.

Carebearitus. A serious disease. Please support carebearitus research and help carebears find a treatment for carebear noobs.

Mysterious disease indeed.

Balancing mechanics is something that's an on going process in mmo, if one organisation gets too powerful the devs could either tweak the game to give underdogs an advantage or if it was really bad spawn in an asteriod going towards the capital :D

The problem is for the small organisations against big organisations. But i'm agree with you.

Demanding game developer or moderator supervision would in most cases be against emergent gameplay, and depending on how it would be done, feel artificial. I also have to ask: Why would you almost "punish" (and how exactly) a larger group of people who worked hard to get where they are?

Not punish big organisations. Just punish the malicious actions like scamming for example.

Not punish big organisations. Just punish the malicious actions like scamming for example.

Why punish my playstyle? Because I don't play like you want me to? Because your way of playing is the only one allowed or best? These people nowadays....

Why not learn to avoid scamms (it's not that hard you know, all scamms are pretty obvious)? Why not learn how to defend yourself against pirates (it can push your gameplay a lot!)? Why not figuring out tactics to avoid 'unsafe' environment (it involves brain, work and curiosity...No f1 monkeys)? Yeah yeah I know, I'm Don Quixote here in saying such things

@swefpifh

L2P smart. It's the wild west out there. And it WILL be an unforgiving place for naive people.

Why punish my playstyle? Because I don't play like you want me to? Because your way of playing is the only one allowed or best? These people nowadays....

Why not learn to avoid scamms (it's not that hard you know, all scamms are pretty obvious)? Why not learn how to defend yourself against pirates (it can push your gameplay a lot!)? Why not figuring out tactics to avoid 'unsafe' environment (it involves brain, work and curiosity...No f1 monkeys)? Yeah yeah I know, I'm Don Quixote here in saying such things

The piracy definition : Robbery or other serious acts of violence committed at sea space.

The problem is not the piracy or others jobs. It's the game. I respect all professions in differents games, but not the vicious and malevolent spirits of players.

The real life suck enough already and it's unnecessary to bring that vicious mentality (scamming, exploits, etc...) in games.

Greetings,

the game concept is very interesting, nevertheless you should take a lesson from EVE online on the mentality of the players that the developers as authorized.

Allow total control players can be a mistake. It suffices a big organization decided to take control of your game to rot it.

The purpose is not to restrict certain activities, but to monitor any malicious and extremely repetitive behavior.

• - Controler territories, yes. But being careful that this is not an organization that controls 70% of a universe.
  • - Piracy, Yes. But the fight against the same players of preventing them from harassment to thrive in the universe.
  • - Influencing the economy, yes. But do not allow players to completely controlling the economy.
  • - Specialization in skills, yes. But prevent yourself a hierarchical system timed skills (EVE Online). Because it would allow players to the first time to take much in advance. And players arriving several months later would be late and would suffer heavy losses due to lack of skills.

The purpose of a game is to have fun, not to annoy a community and make anti-play. Already we see enough in real life.

Sorry for my engligh.

I am not certain that you understand the scale of this universe.  Even attempting to control the area directly surrounding the arkship is a ~60km (as in ~40 miles) circumference safe zone that would require an unreasonable amount of resources to even attempt control the ingress and exgress of this area, not to mention the ability of players to simply leave the planet from within the safe zone.  That is not to mention that the starter planet itself will be approximately 200km wide, making the ability for anyone to really control even 70% of a planet requiring many tens of thousands of players working together, which if you follow EVE news, never lasts for very long.

I am not sure what assertions you are attempting to make by saying dont let the players control the economy (as is done in EVE) or dont have hierarchical skill progress (which +- a month of training in EVE doesnt stop anyone from getting involved in any aspect of the game).  I don't see any inherently wrong issues with allowing for vast control of the economy to be placed onto the players, especially as NQ has no interest in any meaningful amount of NPC-interaction.  Furthermore, players would be unlikely to "suffer heavy losses" from a lack of skills as NQ has already mentioned construct v construct combat will be first and foremost tactics-based (unknown in what way), and as in EVE, the use of small ships that new players can fly in combat will likely be pivotal in any conflict.

Please let me know if I misunderstood