Notating which Player or Group Discovers a Planet

AlexWright

A neat concept from No Man's Sky:

It would be nice to have a system that would either:

1. Allow a system whereby the player and/or group name which discovers a planet, solar system, or star to be displayed when that object is either neared or targetted.

2. Allow for the player and/or group which discovers a planet, solar system, or star to name that entity.

I don't mean to rain on this parade, I just have a real love / hate with this in Elite Dangerous.

While its kind of nice to be recognized for it, a few months in players come and go, people that discover things leave or find other things to do. Then you just have this rock discovered by someone that is irrelevant.

It saps some of the wonder of coming across a place that's new to you out of it when you are forced to acknowledge somebody else beat you to the discovery.

If the recognition is truly important, then maybe could it be in a less conspicuous place, like a details or info tab of the planet.

I don't mean to rain on this parade, I just have a real love / hate with this in Elite Dangerous.

While its kind of nice to be recognized for it, a few months in players come and go, people that discover things leave or find other things to do. Then you just have this rock discovered by someone that is irrelevant.

It saps some of the wonder of coming across a place that's new to you out of it when you are forced to acknowledge somebody else beat you to the discovery.

If the recognition is truly important, then maybe could it be in a less conspicuous place, like a details or info tab of the planet.

I don't mind if it is in the details or info part of the panel. But I do like the idea of "Hey, this person was the first one here, whether you care or not". Some of us like that kind of thing for the achievement, but I do get where you're coming from.

I don't mind if it is in the details or info part of the panel. But I do like the idea of "Hey, this person was the first one here, whether you care or not". Some of us like that kind of thing for the achievement, but I do get where you're coming from.

I'm with saffi, I'm not in favor of it being shown that someone found and named the area, if there is something it should be buried down.

I would have liked the idea if the player start was scattered across the universe, but since everyone starts on Alioth this will basically make every system planet around Alioth named by the first group to get space fly/FTL.

If planets were scattered yes, but single player stay I say no.

That's an interesting idea. I like the concept of naming planets by the first explorer. I also has the advantage for developers to easily name things as they don't do it themselves :) (especially in procedurately generated universe, that usually becomes a headhacke).

But in the other hand, it removes the feeling of exploration and finding "new" planets. If someone just fly by a planet and name it, it's still not explored and there are a lot to discover on the surface. If that planet is named by another player, you lose a bit of the feeling: "Oh! Look at the planet. Someone already found it and name it... but let's check if there is something valuable.".

All in all, I guess that you can still build an obelisk or something with your name on the planet or in orbit if you really want to leave your mark. 

Regards,

Shadow

• 3 months later...

My ideas for that is naming like a mix between that you said and the exoplanets in RL, so you have the name of the player/org who discovered the solar system / group of planets, then the number of this solar system, and then the letter for the planet.

For example, I just discovered a new planet (the third) in the sixth solar system I found. The name would be ttcraft0-6C. And for the most crowded/known planets, there would be a "custom" name. For example the first planet would be NQ-1A but the devs gave it a name (I don't remember it ^^)

For moons, let's say I find 2 moons for my planet. Their names (in the order I discovered them) will be ttcraft0-6Ca and ttcraft0-6Cb for example.

Continents and oceans : I don't really know ^^

Territory : same thing

+ Cities : custom, or if you can't find a good name : [planet]-[number of the city]

given that we know we need modules to control a sector and that this can be planet wide or indeed space bubble, and also knowing that they plan to make these modules very difficult to make .. would it not make sense that by being the first player to own that planet, sector, moon ect .. then you or the organization would get to name it? you could literally have a war lasting days with 2 or 3 players / organizations trying to get control just to name the sector. It would also mean that you would then plan to spend your time building that area so its not just a fly by and name.

I think this describes itself. While it could be interesting to be known as the first person, simply finding a planet is already going to be quite an achievement.

I think it'd just be nice to see how the planet is colonized rather than who discovered it first.

It'd be more interesting to see the structures and cities built on that planet and find out the organizations that own them rather than know the name of the first one who found it.