New Content?

Muhadmananda

Hey,

haven't been following DU so much recently and just let the sub run for now to train when i come back but am about to pull that too tbh. After all these months i am curious if there is still serious work being done on the game at all? All i see is some minor bug fixes and events but no actual content on the horizon? Did i miss something or is there just nothing?

I suggest you skim the patch logs and see what you think https://board.dualthegame.com/index.php?/forum/66-patch-notes/

The replies you will get here are from the remaining diehards in our various shapes and sizes, so it will be better to form your own opinion.

How ever...

No, there has not been any actual content for a long time, DU is in hibernation while NQ either gets more cash or DU closes the doors for good.

There are small stuff here and there but it feels like it's a 1 man weekend project, which is fine, if it was sold as such.

Only real future i see for DU is if the NQ Team has gone into hiding while furiously RE coding ½ or more of the game, with attention to detail and an actual plan time time around.

Experience can be painful to gain at times, but starting over is a valid choice. just DU it.

Edited by Kurosawa

Came here looking for exactly this thread, thanks for posting.

Is that the problem then? The codebase has become unwieldly and new features are cost prohibitive? Okay - while you figure that out, let's try harder at stimulating. Something more than build competitions and racing.

Is it time to sacrifice some economical balance in return for player activity?

e.g.

- Increase spawn rate and value of abandoned wrecks

- Move the alien cores closer and increase plasma yield

- Increased spawn rate of high tier asteroids

- Optimised PVP ships at UEF, low cost

- A bunch of new elements, decorative or functional

Tie it all together with a bit of storyline and do it over a weekend with 1 month build up for everyone to prepare.

50 minutes ago, nekranox said:

- Increase spawn rate and value of abandoned wrecks

- Move the alien cores closer and increase plasma yield

- Increased spawn rate of high tier asteroids

- Optimised PVP ships at UEF, low cost

- A bunch of new elements, decorative or functional

Tie it all together with a bit of storyline and do it over a weekend with 1 month build up for everyone to prepare.

I am one of those diehards, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. :)

The main problem is that the list of quick feature changes in your example, would typically be something like 1 year of dev time at NQ pace. And that was before they decreased the manpower working on DU to a skeleton crew no less.

But don't take my word for it. Take a look at the release logs going back a couple of years, look at how many actual new features was implemented during that time period and make your own conclusions..

4 hours ago, Kurosawa said:

Only real future i see for DU is if the NQ Team has gone into hiding while furiously RE coding ½ or more of the game, with attention to detail and an actual plan time time around.

Unfortunately, NQ's CEO has been clear about where NQ's team is spending their time these last few months.

They have three projects other than DU in the works, including at least one in the gaming space.

Still no details about these actual projects, but NQ was at GamesCon Europe just last week...based on the screenshots shared, their booth doesn't even mention DU anymore. 

I don't think there's much chance that they're still devoting major resources to DU, unfortunately. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/13/2023 at 9:49 AM, Kurosawa said:

I thought the same thing during beta when content was not being released. It was never the case.

• 2 weeks later...

NQ's recent job postings actually do give some insights about the new content coming to...projects other than DU. 

From their job posts: 

Today we are working on the development of three games (one A, one AA (you’ll be working mainly on this one), and one AAA)

Further, we know the genre of at least one of these projects:

Our AA is a team-based car combat game (I’ll tell you more in person if we proceed together).

There is no realistic way that a company of their size will continue to support DU in addition to these three projects.

It's really interesting to see they are working on a team-based game, implying a commitment to an online multiplayer product that so far they haven't demonstrated an ability to actually make. 

Will NQ see success making three games when it took 8 years to (not) finish the one...? Will they learn from DU's mistakes, or are they doomed to repeat them...?

On 12/6/2023 at 7:14 PM, blundertwink said:

Will they learn from DU's mistakes, or are they doomed to repeat them...?

Considering how many times they have proven they are unable to change during all the years with DU, I have little faith in them doing anything but more of the same going forwards..