DU Forums, I need your help!

Shaman

There is a burning question on my mind that I need answering, which both discord and the in game help section have failed to answer.

how does hit probability work? everyone knows that it is based on cross section, but how does it work exactly?

take this beautiful tie fighter I drew in 10 seconds with MS paint (fig.a).

is hit probability worked out by:

fig.b) a square around the ship, being more likely to hit if the square is larger

fig.c) the area of the ship from the direction you are hitting from, being more likely to hit the more area there is.

fig.d) shooting a raycast; if it hits, it deals damage.

second off, is this only calculated from the front, or from other angles as well?

TieFighterExample.thumb.png.9d0726895dfe875f3765ab19419b85f8.png

you may not think it, but this makes a HUGE difference.

for example, if DU uses figure b, having ships with wings like a tie fighter would be a severe disadvantage, because it would have the same hit probability as a cube the same size.

Anyone who has knowledge about this/ is willing to test this out would be a great help to me and the community in general. This is the kind of stuff that needs to be documented but isn't.

From my limited experience, and from 8 months ago:

Change to hit is calculated 1st purely based on distance, weapon and talents. 

If it returns "no hit" everything is done. 

If it calculates "hit" then a 2nd probably is calculated to determine where it hit. 

From what we experienced, the 2nd calculation is purely random to all visible voxels and elements. 

So the shape or visible cross-section of the ship will have no count on CTH. Only on what can be hit after "hit" is confirmed. 

Again, this is a 8 months old experience, not taking into account any recent changes. 

The cross section taken into account is the one you can see when you have the ship visualized in the firing window.

It takes into account the inclination.
By tilting your ship slightly, you can spread the hits you suffer over a much larger area than that visible and taken into account for your chances of hitting.

Otherwise it's funny that you mention the TIE. If you want some for testing, I sell a few cheap ones.

2 hours ago, joaocordeiro said:

So the shape or visible cross-section of the ship will have no count on CTH. Only on what can be hit after "hit" is confirmed. 

43 minutes ago, CptLoRes said:

I have avoided PvP, but that sounds like the kind if shortcut NQ would make..

pretty sure this changed in 0.23, hit detection is taken into account now