CPU Overheating

Odelll

Returned to see how far the game has progressed I noticed I could no longer use any of my machines, support chat indicated I needed skills and schematics now, I trained the various skills and took off to the nearest trade hub to purchase schematics only to crash to a powered down state as I hit 3k altitude. Thinking a breaker had flipped in my house I checked to find it was only my PC, the fans were not cranked, the utilization not high... very odd, I boot up again and within a minute or so the same thing, this time we a bios warning of CPU overheating.

Ryzen 5 3600
16gb DDR4 memory
RX 580 8gb VRAM Graphics

Nothing crashes this system, not 24 hours of rendering, playing 6 clients in EvE Online on multiple monitors, yet DU not only crashes but crashes to a powered down state?
Is this a known issue? bug?
Anyone else have this issue?

1 hour ago, Odelll said:

Is this a known issue?

Yes

It is know and ppl open a topic about this from time to time. 

The defenders of DU will reply to you saying that it is overheating because of bad cooling solution. And they are partially right, since all. Cpus are made to work at 100%

But DU should definitly do a better resource management. 

Btw, do you have an NVMe disk? How and what internet do you have? 

Check this out:

@Odelll

What was said above is correct and  not correct.

Yes, this comes up from time to time but no, it does not happen on systems with a proper cooling solution and healthy hardware. Your system spec should run DU fine but if you get overheating issues one of two things is likely to be the case (as it generally is one of these)

• Overclocking
  • Bad CPU cooling solution

You also mention multiple monitors, what resolutions are we talking about here? The RX 580 is about on par with het GTX1060, is really not a multi monitor GPU when using GFX intensive games and is intended for acceptable framerates on a single 1080p resolution under normal conditions. EVE is really a relatively light game which runs decently on a potato still ;) ..

In DU settings, choose custom setting for cores and set it to 4 cores, also keep shadows on medium setting

Install AMD Ryzen Master and see how the CPU is performing. Another nice monitoring tool is NZXT CAM

I had the same thing. This is still the only game or indeed software to ever overheat my old PC and cause it to compeltely reset, not even blue screen many of the times... it’s an intel 4770k Z97 based machine and was rock solid until this game came along. 

Naturally, the game’s defenders crawled out of the woodwork, basically saying it was my fault. Which, of course is not completely wrong since I did build the PC myself. 

Seven years 100+ games including Cyberpunk 2077, a janky 5K resolution Kickstarter VR headset and yet DU is the only software ever to crash and overheat my pc. 

but yes, I’m apparently an idiot according to the usual suspects in here for thinking that I could use the same setting that my PC uses FOR EVERYTHING ELSE and expect it not to overheat on DU. 

as it turns out my chip now only runs at base, locked speed with zero overclockability probably due to electromigration. Basically it lost the “k” functionality. 

TL;DR

in short, this game has had zero optimization and WILL overheat your CPU by hammering the AVX instructions without remorse. 

Just run your cpu at base speed, apply a slight undervolt and add it to a motherboard preset. That way you can put your computer back into adult mode when playing anything besides this. 

2 hours ago, GraXXoR said:

TL;DR

in short, this game has had zero optimization and WILL overheat your CPU by hammering the AVX instructions without remorse. 

Not if you run the CPU at intended/specced speeds with a proper cooling solution. If you OC your hardware it runs out of normal spec and in that case, yes DU may push it beyond the limits and while it's true that optimization is yet to be done, the reason this happens is that you are effectively running out of spec and the number one thing you look for when you overclock (and for good reason) is to where you can OC while retaining  _stability_.

Does DU do a bad job at resource management, absolutely no question. And the heavy use of AVX instructions does not help either.

But if your non OC'ed computer crashes from overheating issues. Then it is a cooling problem by definition, regardless of what software was used.

I got several computers running full tilt, pedal to the metal GPU and CPU operations including SSE/AVX for extended periods of time (mining). And as long as the OC is within reason, stability is always just a matter of cooling.

On 3/6/2021 at 4:30 PM, Odelll said:

Returned to see how far the game has progressed I noticed I could no longer use any of my machines, support chat indicated I needed skills and schematics now, I trained the various skills and took off to the nearest trade hub to purchase schematics only to crash to a powered down state as I hit 3k altitude. Thinking a breaker had flipped in my house I checked to find it was only my PC, the fans were not cranked, the utilization not high... very odd, I boot up again and within a minute or so the same thing, this time we a bios warning of CPU overheating.

Ryzen 5 3600
16gb DDR4 memory
RX 580 8gb VRAM Graphics

Nothing crashes this system, not 24 hours of rendering, playing 6 clients in EvE Online on multiple monitors, yet DU not only crashes but crashes to a powered down state?
Is this a known issue? bug?
Anyone else have this issue?

No offense it makes zero difference how many EVE clients you can run.  Hell I can nearly run Eve on my phone.  

The difference is DU is pretty poorly optimized right now.  

If you are in an area with a lot of constructs or making a lot of changes.  And there is a lot of Lua script running in the area you can overload the CPU and cause this issue.   

Again I understand the “it’s your fault” brigade.

But when there is one program out of over 300 that causes the issue, is it really the users’ faulty any more?

does one have to engineer for the 0.33% probability edge scenario?

at what point does it become unreasonable for you?

1/500?

1/1000?

when you have a machine that has been flawless for more than six years from all loads from Bitcoin mining to video editing and rendering to benchmarking and copious 4K VR based seriously demanding gaming scenarios  and never went above 70 degrees C and yet you have one single program with dodgy pre 2010 level graphics that constantly causes you borderline edge-case issues, is it still a case of “you are stupid and your cooling is stupid?”

No one is calling anyone stupid here but yes, if your computer overheats when running DU it is due to the cooling solution not being sufficient in most cases. And if you OC you push the hardware beyond it's specced limits which may work, but at the same time can and will cause instability issues such as this under specific conditions. 

If you run your system at stock speeds with adequate cooling and DU wil not cause overheating issues then it is the symptom/trigger, not the (root) cause for the fault.

4 hours ago, blazemonger said:

No one is calling anyone stupid here but yes, if your computer overheats when running DU it is due to the cooling solution not being sufficient in most cases. And if you OC you push the hardware beyond it's specced limits which may work, but at the same time can and will cause instability issues such as this under specific conditions. 

If you run your system at stock speeds with adequate cooling and DU wil not cause overheating issues then it is the symptom/trigger, not the (root) cause for the fault.

I was so called in a different thread, not here. 

but like I say. If we all had the design for outlier mentality, cars would place the driver within a solid steel shell susPended from high-g fighter pilot harnesses. 

But we design cars to be safe for their perceived environment and able to withstand most regular accidents with a decent survival chance of the occupants. 

my rig was designed and tested for what I assumed was all loads and for six years it demonstrated that fact.... ie. the fact that this and only this game even put stress on the old rig. Something particular about its workload combined with the intel 4xxx and 6xxx series pushed mine and numerous other people’s rigs over the edge when they were otherwise fine. 

my Ryzen doesn’t even spin up the fans on the water cooler beyond stock speed and the water temp stays about 30 degrees in DU, just like in other games like Cyberpunk, CPU behemoth Cities Skylines with mods and some heavy VR titles... and I have done nothing more than I did on my old rig which held the same water temperature of about 30-32C but ONLY went berserk in DU. 

TBH, I don’t care any more, my current CPU doesn’t even breath heavily in DU any more and temps are nominal without any tweaking. 

I was merely stating that if you want DU to run and you are having temp issues just remove all overclocking and undervolt slightly if you are so inclined. DU just doesn’t play well with OC on some hardware combos and puts far more stress on the system than other software. 

5 hours ago, GraXXoR said:

TBH, I don’t care any more, my current CPU doesn’t even breath heavily in DU any more and temps are nominal without any tweaking. 

So, you're saying you had issues on a 7 generations past CPU which was also configured beyond it's normal operating specs. Running a current CPU with proper cooling hardly lifts a finger running DU.. 

Kind of proves my point ;)

2 hours ago, blazemonger said:

So, you're saying you had issues on a 7 generations past CPU which was also configured beyond it's normal operating specs. Running a current CPU with proper cooling hardly lifts a finger running DU.. 

Kind of proves my point ;)

no it doesn’t but like I said, whatever, mate. 
try and spin it whatever way you want. 

もういい

the ryzen 3600 isn't overclocked (its not even the X variant). Its all stock, including the stock wraith cooler, in a corsair carbide 400c case with correct cooling airflow of 2x 120mm corsair intake fans at the front and 2x 120mm corsair exhaust fans on the top. I've just shelled out on a corsair H150i with 3x 120mm fans to replace the stock wraith cooler.

Prior to upgrades the wraith cooler saw idle temps of 33 raising to 50-60 in heavy gaming. I'll update after a testing period with the AIO to see if the problem persists and the temps the machine gets to.

36 minutes ago, Odelll said:

Prior to upgrades the wraith cooler saw idle temps of 33 raising to 50-60 in heavy gaming. I'll update after a testing period with the AIO to see if the problem persists and the temps the machine gets to.

A 3600 with a wraith cooler should run the game just fine. Based on what you wrote here a hard power down would not happen due to the game running. That said, it may trigger a fault that does cause the power down.