Free Range Farming and Bulk of Producers in Dual Universe

Eternal

When we came to Alioth from the destroyed-Earth, we brought with ourselves frozen Embryos of agricultural Livestock and Crops through Cryo-preservation for our food source to ensure our survival. These Stocks can be brought back to life and they can reproduce. When you deploy something like a hatched Chick, they will Free Range for limited distance from the spot where it is first deployed. If you wanna relocate them, you can pick them up and re-deploy them to another spot. These Chicks will grow to a full-fledged Chicken. They will lay eggs on a spot, where new Chicks can hatch. Or you can pick up the unhatched egg and do whatever you wanna do with it (such us putting it in an Incubator). You have to take care of these Chicks (such as feeding them) until they reached their market size for consumption. Have a Slaughterhouse Facility (I mean we have a Refinery in this game? Why not an automatic Slaughtehouse Machine?) where you can convert these Chickens to Poultry Meat which people can cook and eat for Energy. If you have 0 Energy in this game, you just move slowly such as you can't sprint or you sprint slower. If you have Energy, you move faster and can sprint faster. You can also add mechanics like Call of Duty "Sleight of Hands" for things such as reloading faster where Energy will play a role. Energy supply inside a Ship will determine how much Endurance that Ship have for operation -- they need to resupply at some point or it will be hard for them to continue operation.

Another thing that I would like to propose is a growing colony of Producers for the Food Chain. When you Mine in this game, you will find things like Coal Ores within 1 bulk (the only difference is how much volume that bulk contains). When you deploy a bulk of Worms, Crops, etc. -- all being Producers in the Food Chain which feed on the Energy of the Sun (Photosynthesis), nutrients of Soil, Chemosynthesis, etc. When you deploy a bulk of these, I want them to grow in volume over time (when you pick them up, it will indicate in your Inventory that the volume grew). You can then harvest these Producers after and feed them to the Primary Consumers like Chickens. You can use the Chicken Poop to fertilize the soil ("Chicken Manure" is an Item that can be collected for Organic Fertilizer). You can turn an unfertilized Soil to a fertilized one which looks different. At the same time, you can put it on the Crib of your Pond to fertilize the water -- it will Eutrophicate the water turning it greenish (it means there is nutrients to the water). Over-Eutrophication in real-life causes fish-kill because of oxygen deprivation in the water. You will Eutrophicate the water only to certain degree of greenness to add nutrients to it so your Fishes can grow faster, but you will not be stupid to Over-Eutrophicate. 

This is a bulk of Aluminum Ores with it's volume.

maxresdefault.jpg

This is a bulk of Worms that is deployed and can grow in volume (the concept is the colony grew).

Mixed-Dens-1024x768.jpg

You can then harvest them with your Nanoformer and feed it to the Primary Consumers. You can link a deployed Chicken that is Free Ranging to a Food Container (you will fill that Container with Food exactly like how you would fill a Fuel Container with Fuel). The Chicken will eat when it's hungry. They need to eat in order to grow faster -- if you go cheap on feeding them, it will extend the harvest period for longer. Yield is very important in the Agricultural business (if you don't Yield enough, you don't profit enough). You also need to utilize your area of land for the purpose of producing the most Yield out of it.

We can have 2 sources of Energy in this game: Meat and Produce. Meat provides more Energy per consumption than Produce.

Hi !

I have mixed feelings about your proposition. I'm interested in having in-game interactions with non-sentient animals and vegetables.

But why would earth-life be compatible with the planets we will discover ? The one we will land upon may be, RP speaking, as it would have been chosen for this purpose. But what about the others ? So life yes, but locals ones or adaptable ones.

Food mechanism : it's an interesting mechanism, but the more realistic you want the system to be, the more aspects it has. And I think this game try to make things in a realistic way, or don't make them at all (as for terrestrial vehicle). 

Exemple 1 If an energy system exist, and is affect by hunger, you should be able to die from starvation. And then what happened if you can't connect for one week ? Adding an auto-eating feature ? What about the ones wishing to stay in space ? Obligation to make big reserve, or include a farm inside their ships ? It will make the colonisation of planets without life really hard to make...

Exemple 2 : If you included food mechanism, what about the others human needs as sleep, water...Same difficulties applies.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea, just that it may need a complex integration.

• 2 weeks later...

Yuuyake, I think you will need the Swedish chef in your team and all will work out great.

Or to quote him:

Jupidipudituyoujipjipjip jipiditipidyjupjipjipjip

And only the cake is a lie

@Eternal i do like all farm ideas, but i do hope hydroponic space plants will be included with huge glass domes we can build on asteroids, ships and space cities

5 hours ago, Aaron Cain said:

Yuuyake, I think you will need the Swedish chef in your team and all will work out great.

The chief can go bork himself, I'm gonna team up with Ernie and Bert and take over the street !

Well, we are going off - off topic, sorry Eternal !

5 hours ago, Aaron Cain said:

@Eternal i do like all farm ideas, but i do hope hydroponic space plants will be included with huge glass domes we can build on asteroids, ships and space cities

That would be awesome !  Combine with the animals ideas, we could create some space zoo, including different biomes.

It probably was more efficient for wgoever made the arkships to pack blueprints for machines that allow you to chuck in all the needed chemicals, wait 5 minutes, than *voila!* All your nutrients hot and ready to eat!

• 3 weeks later...

I have played enough "survival" games and I do not want DU to become another one. In  the codex it is laid out the suit provides all your needs. While I am all for farming and the like in other types of games I do not think it has a place here.