Not so sure about everyone starting in the same place.

Khaymann

EDIT: This is NOT and assumption merely an observation of data that has been collected from the information provided to us. I do NOT claim any of this to be fact nor that this will happen.

So i read the newest AMA answer and got kinda worried. (you can read it here it is #25).

This may be a problem if the starting planet only has a radius of 30KM (referenced here if you want to read more). So based on the photos we have seen so far (this is a very ruff estimate) I would say the planets are about 60% water (give or take). With this in mind I did some maths and came to the conclusion we will only have around 1800KM of land to build on. (around 11300km water included). The current member count on the forum alone (at this time) is almost 1500. There is not going to be anywhere close to enough land! I don't know about the rest of you but from my experience trying to mine underwater is a HUGE pain in the arse. So is trying to build in the middle of the ocean, especially if structural integrity is going to be a thing.

If we are going to have more than a few thousand people playing the game we are going to need MUCH more land!

Edit: Looks like planets are going to be much larger than originally thought.

How big is the Dual Universe?

Planets may range from a few hundred to thousands of kilometer in radius

So i read the newest AMA answer and got kinda worried. (you can read it here it is #25).

This may be a problem if the starting planet only has a radius of 30KM (referenced here if you want to read more). So based on the photos we have seen so far (this is a very ruff estimate) i would say the planets are about 60% water (give or take). With this in mind I did some maths and came to the conclusion we will only have around 1800KM of land to build on. (around 11300km water included). The current member count on the forum alone (at this time) is almost 1500. There is not going to be anywhere close to enough land! I don't know about the rest of you but from my experience trying to mine underwater is a HUGE pain in the arse. So is trying to build in the middle of the ocean, especially if structural integrity is going to be a thing.

If we are going to have more than a few thousand people playing the game we are going to need MUCH more land!

Uhm, where did they say it's 30km? Cause somebody use the 8km station in the gameplay footage and calculated the radius of the earth-like world to be 100km. And there are so far, two planets on the starting system.

And IMO, if the devs find that more people are anticipated in launch, they pop up a third planet on the starting system and everything is  bueno mucho.

For all we know, the devs may hard spawn people on planets, given a landmass per person ratio. :P 

Uhm, where did they say it's 30km? Cause somebody use the 8km station in the gameplay footage and calculated the radius of the earth-like world to be 100km. And there are so far, two planets on the starting system.

And IMO, if the devs find that more people are anticipated in launch, they pop up a third planet on the starting system and everything is  bueno mucho.

For all we know, the devs may hard spawn people on planets, given a landmass per person ratio. :P 

we have adopted the usual way of partitioning the surface of the planet with a large number of hexagonal tiles (note that you’ll also marginally have 12 pentagons in the lot: there is no way to have an isotropic uniform tiling of a sphere). Tiles are about 1km large and for a 30km radius planet, it basically looks like this:

Copied and pasted from the devblog

https://devblog.dualthegame.com/2015/07/24/territory-control/#more-468

you should read this and 

we have adopted the usual way of partitioning the surface of the planet with a large number of hexagonal tiles (note that you’ll also marginally have 12 pentagons in the lot: there is no way to have an isotropic uniform tiling of a sphere). Tiles are about 1km large and for a 30km radius planet, it basically looks like this:

And 

People will all start at the same place. Well, maybe spread a little in the safe area around the Arkship, for practical purposes, but not spaced on various planets.

Posted from here 

"Ask Us Anything" Event Q&A 25: Wednesday 3nd August 2016

Thank you. Clearly, coffee ain't cutting it for me anymore. Can't stay sharp :V

Sure, then, they add more planets in the starting area. Problem solved :P

OR... we end up fighting for our lands. In the Game of Land-claiming, you either claim or you die. Cue the music.

Um about that:

Also, traveling within the galaxy will not be a trivial matter in Dual Universe.

You really should read

"Ask Us Anything" Event Q&A 25: Wednesday 3nd August 2016

Starting System man :P Not another sysem. For the purposes of not hogging all the players on one planet on the starting system :P

Starting System man :P Not another sysem. For the purposes of not hogging all the players on one planet on the starting system :P

That's exactly what they want to do. Is everyone on the same planet.

This may be a problem if the starting planet only has a radius of 30KM (referenced here if you want to read more). So based on the photos we have seen so far (this is a very ruff estimate) i would say the planets are about 60% water (give or take). With this in mind I did some maths and came to the conclusion we will only have around 1800KM of land to build on. (around 11300km water included). The current member count on the forum alone (at this time) is almost 1500. There is not going to be anywhere close to enough land! I don't know about the rest of you but from my experience trying to mine underwater is a HUGE pain in the arse. So is trying to build in the middle of the ocean, especially if structural integrity is going to be a thing.

30km was something that was the lower limit for planets, normaly they go for 30-100km radius, and the "starter-planet" will most likely be one of the bigger sized ones. With your (baseless) assumption of 60% water-surface that makes ~32k km² landmass for a planet with an 80km radius. thats close to switzerland, which is pretty big if you had to explore it with a few thousand ppl.

That's exactly what they want to do. Is everyone on the same planet.

Well, if the server tech can indeed hold, then it would not be a problem. And, I don't think the starting crafts will be of any real cost to build. I mean, they are small. Plus, the Alpha is there to determine such features. What they want to do and what cna be achieved are two differnt things :P

If the Alpha shows that everyone starting on the same planet is a terrible idea, then the devs will split the spawns between 2 or 3 planets.

I like the idea of having a starting non-pvp area.  Guaranteed plenty of toons online to interact with and being an MMO that is the point.

I think the idea of the starter planet is to have a safe place to build your first ship .... to fly elsewhere to establish whatever you are planing to.  With this in mind NQ will obviously set it up to make sure there is enough to get newbs started.

I would guess that you couldn't claim land on the starter planet, forcing you to progress and move out into the universe and expanding the universe as you do.

I heard that space travel will not be achieved for months after the first players begin.

Possibly months. The probe thingie is a relevant term of determining times to travel. A system might be 2 weeks travel for the probe, another might be two months. Space : It's big :P

1) 30km was something that was the lower limit for planets, normaly they go for 30-100km radius, and the "starter-planet" will most likely be one of the bigger sized ones. What are you basing this on? Would love to read it.

With your (baseless) assumption of 60% water-surface that makes ~32k km² landmass for a planet with an 80km radius.  My "baseless" "assumption" (you should never assume it just makes and ass of you and me) is a very ruff estimate based off of photos and videos as said in my first sentence of the OP.

thats close to switzerland, which is pretty big if you had to explore it with a few thousand ppl. Indeed it is about 20000km all together. but with the size the game is growing in popularity and the leangth of time the devs want it to take for us to get to space (about a month if i remember correctly) it will get really crowded really quick.

Possibly months. The probe thingie is a relevant term of determining times to travel. A system might be 2 weeks travel for the probe, another might be two months. Space : It's big :P

I think you miss read that, i think he means it is going to take months for the first person to leave the starter planets surface. At least thats what i read.

I think you miss read that, i think he means it is going to take months for the first person to leave the starter planets surface. At least thats what i read.

I thought the length of time wasn't with the building of the ship but when the game launches no stargates built.  To build one you need the tech, a probe sent out which takes days to weeks.  The building of the stargate system at game launch from scratch is what I got as taking much time.

Once people begin building stargates the expansion will be much quicker for newbs starting a month or two after release.

Its a bit late but I should point out that they were giving an example for the size of a planet and the size of territory units.

They want it to take a bit of time for people to start leaving the planet and the timeframe that they gave was about a month or so. This could mean having the ability to travel to another planet in the same system or even just get into space (build a megatower up to the sky because why not :P) I doubt stargates will apear a month or two after release but then again I could be wrong. Im thinking it will take that long to just start getting to the tech that allows us to consider building stargates let alone the resources and ability to build them. we would then also have to wait for a probe to get to the other location and have the materials to build a second gate.

Well, that depends. If 10 guys are ndeded to craft a craft Element-wise, then those ten guys could work together to build 10 ships and book itt off the planet. The whole "months" thing is more along the lines of "a single player would take that much amount of time". Never underestimate the power of No-Life :P

I thought the length of time wasn't with the building of the ship but when the game launches no stargates built.  To build one you need the tech, a probe sent out which takes days to weeks.  The building of the stargate system at game launch from scratch is what I got as taking much time.

Once people begin building stargates the expansion will be much quicker for newbs starting a month or two after release.

Q&A 7: Thursday 7th July 2016

Flying from a planet to another should be a real achievement in our game vision. So it would not be available on the first day of the official release. If a player is here from day 1, it might be weeks, maybe a few months before the travel from planet to planet becomes possible.

Flying from a planet to another should be a real achievement in our game vision. So it would not be available on the first day of the official release. If a player is here from day 1, it might be weeks, maybe a few months before the travel from planet to planet becomes possible. This is still a topic heavily discussed in the team. However, later on in the game, when the global tech level of civilizations built by the players will have reached a certain point, it will be possible for a new comer to simply buy or be given a ship to fly with as soon as he arrives in game (he will still need to learn a few skills to be able to fly it however, but the basic levels should be reachable between a few minutes and a few hours, according to the flying construct complexity). In short, the game experience for a player present from day 1 might be very different from the game experience of a player coming several months after the game has launched, also different from the game experience of a player entering the game one year after official launch (where many solar systems will be, without a doubt, already discovered and colonized).

Found it

What i get from that is it is going to be awhile before you even leave the planets surface.

Yeah but later on it may only take a newb a few hours.  So for us starting on day 1 it will be harder and we'll pave the way for future DU toons. After a few months the starter world will be a quick launch for the newbie and no reason to have to build a base or whatever on it.

Or someone can be mean and constantly destroy the stargate at the starter planet and never allow future newbs to have it easier. lol

Or someone can be mean and constantly destroy the stargate at the starter planet and never allow future newbs to have it easier. lol

Oh you can count on that happening. Hence why I dislike griefers so much. but the point of the OP is I hope there is enough room for all during the time it takes to get that infrastructure up.

Oh you can count on that happening. Hence why I dislike griefers so much. but the point of the OP is I hope there is enough room for all during the time it takes to get that infrastructure up.

I have faith that JC and other devs who can write an expansion/vast game like this won't allow it to be impossible to leave the starter planet.

With that said anyone want to bunk up together if it gets crowded?  :unsure: