Neutral alts - Recording battles, Interviews, News, History,...

Lethys

Neutral alts - to be or not to be  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Would you allow neutral alts on your territory?

• Yes
    • No, because.....(please post)
    • I don't care
  2. 2. Would you help a community project with a special PR department (discord channel, in-game meeting place,...)?

• Yes
    • No, because....(please post)

But no alts. The system proposed by Lethys can be achieved without alts. Make the DUHS a neutral ground, don't make "neutral alts".

In fact, let's be real here.

Have a faction able to cycle new archivists in the DUHS. No permanet archivists for Org-A and Org-B. It's a 3 month assignment. One org appoints one person as an archivist and then they get to appoint another one in there of their choosing. So the DUHS can't choose who to send, the organisations in question elect who's their archivist.

in fact, the organisation / alliance / coalition leader can choose to be the archivist for the DUHS. How about that? Does the DUHS want that?

It remains to be seen. I don't hold myself as smarter than anyone, but I guess the idea already crossed through people's minds. "Why have neutral alts, when you can have a person like a leader, be part of a neutral ground community project?".

The problem here is simple: regardless the system and regardless what duhs will say, there will always be flak from everyone (and to some extent that's quite rightful), as aalready discussed in lenght here.

Your proposed system has some major drawbacks, which include an organizational mess for rotating, every new member has to be introduced and controlled, some basic staff has to be the same so only writers would change anyway. Then some rotation group might not be able to do videos on the same level, they might lack the experience to write stuff and most importantly: the level of the writings and documentation stays at least the same or gets better, but doesn't get worse.

A community member known for his writing style and good nature as kurock surely is more trusted than some newbro who just entered the game or some random member who never was active on the forums.

As I said earlier most of the time you'll just compare, analyze and watch videos from others, discern tactics and weaponry, reareach out for statements and display the battle as it was. Or you just ask as "Lethys" in discord for statements and interviews about a topic.

The alts only come in as rp stuff and to get more POVs out of a situation. If people from some org don't want them on their turf, fine with me, that's ok. We'll do our rp stuff somewhere else but if that org was part of some major event we dig nonetheless and uncover the truth as good as possible.

The problem here is simple: regardless the system and regardless what duhs will say, there will always be flak from everyone (and to some extent that's quite rightful), as aalready discussed in lenght here.

Your proposed system has some major drawbacks, which include an organizational mess for rotating, every new member has to be introduced and controlled, some basic staff has to be the same so only writers would change anyway. Then some rotation group might not be able to do videos on the same level, they might lack the experience to write stuff and most importantly: the level of the writings and documentation stays at least the same or gets better, but doesn't get worse.

A community member known for his writing style and good nature as kurock surely is more trusted than some newbro who just entered the game or some random member who never was active on the forums.

As I said earlier most of the time you'll just compare, analyze and watch videos from others, discern tactics and weaponry, reareach out for statements and display the battle as it was. Or you just ask as "Lethys" in discord for statements and interviews about a topic.

The alts only come in as rp stuff and to get more POVs out of a situation. If people from some org don't want them on their turf, fine with me, that's ok. We'll do our rp stuff somewhere else but if that org was part of some major event we dig nonetheless and uncover the truth as good as possible.

You only need one writer and many researchers / archivists. An organisation can appoint a person to be the person presenting archives to the DUHS writer who writes the entries in the history books. So no, you don't really need all people in the DUHS to be English Major degrees to write, you only need one or two.  

Writing style doesn't matter, you don't write fiction, you don't need to invoke emotions about events that unfolded. History, if not objectional it's not history, it's propaganda. You only need to present facts and the reason behind actions and tactics - which is part of the archiving itself.

When presenting an interview on a documentary format, you also don't need a writing style. You are not a journalist, you are a historian or a researcher. Your opinion DOES NOT MATTER on what the interviewed person said. You only present facts and provide sources for thme to point out a discrepancy or contradiction. If you inject opinion, you become subjective and you are writing PROPAGANDA at that point.

So no brosef-senpai, I still can't see the reason to not have organisations send in their chosen archivists to exchange information0 with DUHS on a project or an entry on an annual or monthly report on events in DU. I still can't see the reason for alts.

You only need one writer and many researchers / archivists. An organisation can appoint a person to be the person presenting archives to the DUHS writer who writes the entries in the history books. So no, you don't really need all people in the DUHS to be English Major degrees to write, you only need one or two.

Writing style doesn't matter, you don't write fiction, you don't need to invoke emotions about events that unfolded. History, if not objectional it's not history, it's propaganda. You only need to present facts and the reason behind actions and tactics - which is part of the archiving itself.

When presenting an interview on a documentary format, you also don't need a writing style. You are not a journalist, you are a historian or a researcher. Your opinion DOES NOT MATTER on what the interviewed person said. You only present facts and provide sources for thme to point out a discrepancy or contradiction. If you inject opinion, you become subjective and you are writing PROPAGANDA at that point.

So no brosef-senpai, I still can't see the reason to not have organisations send in their chosen archivists to exchange information0 with DUHS on a project or an entry on an annual or monthly report on events in DU. I still can't see the reason for alts.

It's slowly filling on our discord, but none of those joined actually want to do stuff. People are lazy and want things to happen but forget that sometimes it's us who have to make happen something. Doing stuff for the community is such a thing.

All orgs are welcomed to send us stuff and or people who want to help ofc.

Well writing style isn't the right word here but you need a certain degree of wording or grammar so that it's not misunderstood and not biased. There's a reason why people are employed to check upon the wording of govermental texts for example, so that laws can't be misinterpreted and aren't filled with loopholes. True, those text are not written texts of history but imho you need to be as careful as possible here too, so that certain....shame on me I use those words....trigger words aren't used at all.

Those few alts might be made or not, depending on how game mechanics are implemented. It's just ana aadditional rp idea. If orgs don't want those alts on their turf, sure their choice.

But as there will be newbros joining every day, those won't easily be discernable as real newbros. Instead every new player will be regarded with suspicion and as a possible spai. The main difference here is that our possible alts will be openly visible.

The bias discussion is separate from alts, because that problem will always exist and you can only try to minimize it.

I'm sorry Twerk, but I really don't see how your argument is relevant.

Of course all major alliances have spies, and of course groups like PL know what Goons are bringing to a party before they even undock. That's all completely besides the point. From playing EVE, you should be aware of just how incompetent and uninformed people can be. You should also know that groups like PL and NC. still manage to lose fleets to an enemy fleet comp they saw coming for any one of a dozen reasons.

It doesn't matter whether or not the information is available or easily attainable. What matters is whether or not people will bother to go out and get it, or whether they'll use it properly once they have it. Having played EVE, you should know that most groups are too lazy or incompetent to do proper spying, and even a lot of those that do don't use that intel properly.

Knowing that, why would I make watching me easier for the significant number of groups and FCs that just couldn't care less?

I appreciate the idea. I really do. But at the end of the day what you're suggesting is only going to make fights boil down to blue-balls and numbers games, like they already do in EVE, and that's a bad thing. 

@Vorengard tell the ''number games'' thing to Rokks & Kings. Blue ball tactics happen in EVE cause it's built that way. In DU that can apply, but in a different context.

It's also a team game. If you don't like being outnumbered, then group up. It's a frigging MMO.