Extrude/Indent tool

FD3242

I think it would be cool to have a tool which allows you to Extrude/indent a pattern into the surface of the voxels.

They could use a height map to customize the pattern

147cS69.png

The lighter it is the more it extrudes.

Most of you probably know how height map works so I wont explain it further.

Here is a wiki page on it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heightmap if you are confused.

This could be used to make cool patterns on floors or walls or any flat surface.

Patterns like this. Probably not that detailed but you get the idea.

brick-path.jpg

I think it could be useful. Would be neat for things like complicated insignias or something. Obviously though since this is the internet, people would naturally create some... Rather interesting patterns.

So maybe there could be a way you could make a pattern from voxels, but out of the tools already available, doing what you can already do. And then turn that into a pattern and apply it in a copy/paste-ish fashion over a given surface. Of course that still couldn't stop people from making vulgar patterns, but I don't think it would be as bad as being able to do something like draw lines and indent them.

It seems like this would be better handled by a copy paste feature (which they are planning)

I think the difference here would be that you could save patterns for later, and also be able to easily indent them into the geometry of ships. What if you wanted to indent the logo of your org into your ship, or indent a pattern into the walls? Copy and paste wouldn't be as good for that.

I think the difference here would be that you could save patterns for later, and also be able to easily indent them into the geometry of ships. What if you wanted to indent the logo of your org into your ship, or indent a pattern into the walls? Copy and paste wouldn't be as good for that.

What about a machine that allows you to design a logo and then it gets processed to make sure it isn't phallic by the devs. If it passes, then you receive a notification and a chip with that logo/design that you put into a tool to print that logo on surfaces. If you can collect certain resources, then you can duplicate the chip for others to use.

What about a machine that allows you to design a logo and then it gets processed to make sure it isn't phallic by the devs. If it passes, then you receive a notification and a chip with that logo/design that you put into a tool to print that logo on surfaces. If you can collect certain resources, then you can duplicate the chip for others to use.

Meh, the devs doesn't have all day for that. I think it would be best if there was a reporting system for players to use. Also, I was thinking transfer the file by transmissions.

Meh, the devs doesn't have all day for that. I think it would be best if there was a reporting system for players to use. Also, I was thinking transfer the file by transmissions.

Yeah, I know they don't have the time. Unfortunately, even with a reporting system, it still would never work well and would be a huge pain in the rear. Maybe a library of pre-made symbols, shapes and so on. Then logos for orgs can be submitted for eval. Maybe only for orgs meeting certain criteria so that people aren't abusing the submission logo tool to make symbols and such.