Leaning lua!

Khaymann

So it looks like Lua is going to be a nice thing to learn while waiting for the game to come out. So I thought a maybe a good thing to have would be a spot that contains information on where to learn. Maybe some of the forum users that are good with the language could help us out with some advice and tips? 

So I am by no means an expert on coding in fact i know very little what I do know is that it is nice to have a place to write, or copy and paste code to i like to use notepad ++ it is free and has some nice features. you are also going to need an interpreter of some sort but I'm still looking for one myself (just started looking 5 min ago lol).

Like I said this is just somewhere to find good info on where to start nothing more, I know there are already post about this in reddit and 50 million other places and google is not hard but sometimes the best info is hard to find and I'm lazy  :P. so if you have any useful information please post below.

If you want to belittle me or anyone else please use some other medium (There is a personal message system for that) as I want it to be as easy as possible to find relevant information here as possible.

This would be a logical starting point:

https://www.lua.org/pil/contents.html

I expect the Lua in Dual Universe to be akin to what is possible in From the Depths:

http://www.fromthedepthsgame.com/forum/archive/index.php?thread-8910.html

Honestly, knowledge of programming (certain concepts and ideas) would already be a good starter. I'm more of a Java person with some Python ages ago, and I am well aware that Lua is something different. So we might all learn new skills while playing DU! : D

Hope I could help.

I believe learning lua on notepad++ is the biggest drag ever.

Here's a (much more fun) alternative.

Get Minecraft FTB Launcher and download the modpack at the top. There will be a mod called ComputerCraft on it (with an absolute ton of other interesting mods). With computerCraft you can controll mostly every block in the game by placing a computer next to it (including most modded ones). The biggest meat of it are the 'turtle' blocks with the computer block integrated, which can be outfitted with a pickaxe and can have subroutines written to them to mine things, anywhere from a straight tunnel to controlling a self-expanding autonomous quarry via a central server computer, crafting and deploying additional turtles by copying the turtle 'client' code onto them after placing and distributing the mining area dynamically so the operation is scalable. Someone wrote a turtle script that has it 'complete' the whole game (except for the boss fights), I'm not joking, it even built a house and stored all of it's stuff in it.

Does learning to script like this sound more fun than notepad++? You decide.

I believe learning lua on notepad++ is the biggest drag ever.

Here's a (much more fun) alternative.

Get Minecraft FTB Launcher and download the modpack at the top. There will be a mod called ComputerCraft on it (with an absolute ton of other interesting mods). With computerCraft you can controll mostly every block in the game by placing a computer next to it (including most modded ones). The biggest meat of it are the 'turtle' blocks with the computer block integrated, which can be outfitted with a pickaxe and can have subroutines written to them to mine things, anywhere from a straight tunnel to controlling a self-expanding autonomous quarry via a central server computer, crafting and deploying additional turtles by copying the turtle 'client' code onto them after placing and distributing the mining area dynamically so the operation is scalable. Someone wrote a turtle script that has it 'complete' the whole game (except for the boss fights), I'm not joking, it even built a house and stored all of it's stuff in it.

Does learning to script like this sound more fun than notepad++? You decide.

Yep and I actually do play infinity all the time(may just do this), me and a few buddies of mine (all of us can't wait for this to come out) but I was more thinking for the people that do not have minecraft. though SE is another example of a game with LUA control not sure how much though but it may be a good stepping stone.

P.S. may need a little experience before you start to actually code. Like basic concepts.

Yep and I actually do play infinity all the time(may just do this), me and a few buddies of mine (all of us can't wait for this to come out) but I was more thinking for the people that do not have minecraft. though SE is another example of a game with LUA control not sure how much though but it may be a good stepping stone.

P.S. may need a little experience before you start to actually code. Like basic concepts.

Download LUA, it's free, put a spiffy package-manager and learn how to code in a month MAX of dedicated effort. Done, the rest is up to your imagination, ingenuity and problem solving abilities. Do not learn in an ALREADY imported version of LUA via another game, or SE, that usues an entirely different language ( C ). In that way, you will learn how to drive a car in Need For Speed instead of ACTUALLY going for a driver's license and through a driving school.

Stay with LUA O.G. , get a paackage manager and you are jet set. Find a Youtube tutorial and you'll be a wizard in less than a month.

I've decided to learn Lua as well in prep of this game. I've learnt python through school and I understand the logical steps in programming. From what I've seen Lua is a really easy language to learn. For me I need to learn the syntax, and I found thid guide on youtube https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GVnIRt77ePk There may be better tutorials and if you have a link to them I'm all open but otherwise this seems to be good.

I've decided to learn Lua as well in prep of this game. I've learnt python through school and I understand the logical steps in programming. From what I've seen Lua is a really easy language to learn. For me I need to learn the syntax, and I found thid guide on youtube https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GVnIRt77ePk There may be better tutorials and if you have a link to them I'm all open but otherwise this seems to be good.

THIS GUIDE IS WHAT I SENT PEOPLE ON PM WHENEVER THEY ASK ME ON LUA ! :D

Spastic Kangaroo man, the guy is Master Yoda in explaining things.

If you want to fiddle with lua modding in actual games here is a quick list from the top of my head:

• Civilization 5
  • World of Warcraft
  • Freeciv (free)
  • Homeworld 2
  • Orbiter (free)
  • Battle for Wesnoth (free)
  • Dota 2 (free)
  • Factorio

There is also love2D, which is a game engine written in lua if you want to dive in and recreate some simple games like tetris or asteroids.

Don't forget ... youtube is your friend.

I'll be doing the same but looked into it a bit and it isn't difficult.  I'll brush up on commands closer to launch, otherwise I'll forget some things and need to do it again anyway.

Will definitely be looking at this. Learning to program has always been something I've been wanting to learn. I've just never had the patients to learn by myself. Maybe I will now, for the sake of DU :)