Avoiding Survivorship Bias

ATMLVE

Yeah but what if you establish a planet just for people who don't  want rules and another organizations comes and screws that up on a place you worked on maybe for months or years. Just because you don't want to follow a set of laws one group made doesn't mean you should always be running away just to please them.

"

Gentlemen, this thread is for survivorship bias: keep it at that. The way it's headed, it will have lost its meaning and purpose in a few more posts. Other games; other failures; and how Dual Universe can learn from them and make the game better for all of us. Simple.

"

For example, BOO wants its own planet but everyone will probably keep driving them away from Boo's planet in the name of world peace.

I think you have that a bit backwards :P 

Anyways: Archeage. A really cool concept of a game, and relatively similar to DU in some aspects. From my experience with it, it suffers from an awful lack of balance in some area, particularly with land ownership. DU needs to avoid this by properly balancing the ownership system, which will be challenging to do. I have faith in them, though.

From my experience with it, it suffers from an awful lack of balance in some area, particularly with land ownership. DU needs to avoid this by properly balancing the ownership system, which will be challenging to do. I have faith in them, though.

Could you elaborate a bit on how land ownership is unbalanced?

Could you elaborate a bit on how land ownership is unbalanced?

I know some issues I had were players leaving the game unannounced when they had land/home in a "village". Something something magic, and it caused problems with the right people getting that land when it lapsed. 

But that could be something entirely unrelated to what Void is talking about.

I know some issues I had were players leaving the game unannounced when they had land/home in a "village". Something something magic, and it caused problems with the right people getting that land when it lapsed. 

But that could be something entirely unrelated to what Void is talking about.

This is essentially what I meant. And the advantages of land ownership is not quite in balance with the difficulty of attaining it. This makes it so that people who get the land are able to use it to propel themselves much further in the game, thus making it much harder for newer players to "catch up" so to speak. 

I suppose I should also mention that my experience level with the game is rather small, so someone who played more might have more in depth analysis to offer. 

I think you have that a bit backwards :P

Anyways: Archeage. A really cool concept of a game, and relatively similar to DU in some aspects. From my experience with it, it suffers from an awful lack of balance in some area, particularly with land ownership. DU needs to avoid this by properly balancing the ownership system, which will be challenging to do. I have faith in them, though.

One way they could avoid what happened in AA is to allow larger Org and groups to "own" or claim large chunks of land that they can sub divided and rent parcels out. So when someone stops playing and stops paying their rent it defaults back to the landlord which they can re-rent to someone else. With the rights and management system sounds like that may be possible in DU.

Also beyond that being able to put structures pretty much anywhere will help as in AA there was smallish maps with only certain areas that allowed houses to be built. Hopefully planets in DU are big enough and restrictions on building areas are minimal.