Creative Mode - Out of Game - Multiplayer for Construct Blueprint/Subassembly Creation

Bitmouse

• 2 months later...

sort of like having a buleprint on what you want to make before you havr aquired the materials to make it?

that sounds useful for big projects or for people who want to sell designs but not have to collect resources

They said they think about a kind of "creative-VR-mode" in-game where you can construct a blueprint. But nothing fixed yet and no more infos on that.

Every construct you actually build will be ofc online and destroyable (once you exit the safe zone around the arkship)

They said they think about a kind of "creative-VR-mode" in-game where you can construct a blueprint. But nothing fixed yet and no more infos on that.

Every construct you actually build will be ofc online and destroyable (once you exit the safe zone around the arkship)

I predict that "safe spaces" will emerge in which players can rent time on plots of land where they can build safely, free of griefing. Could be very profitable.

I predict that "safe spaces" will emerge in which players can rent time on plots of land where they can build safely, free of griefing. Could be very profitable.

Well, EVE has a simulation system, where you can "simulate" a ship (you may not have) and fit it with modules (you may not even hav unlcoked) so you can tell what works best.

Same idea can be done for DU. You hop into a VR pod, you load into a "VR grid" on the server, a room ranging on size given the type of the pod, where people can enter "god-mode" building, unlimited resources and modules, so they can research and develop ships on their own privacy and leisure.

Likewise, said pods could be used for VR games, aka, arenas where death doesn't matter at all, aside from a "highscore" feature, but that's an afterthought.

"

Hm...A VR environment is a good idea. But, I have a suggestion that concerns the production of blue prints and multi player construction. 

The VR environment should allow for simulated costs and statistics: Esster's idea has much in common with this idea. So far, the developers said that blueprints will be gotten once constructs are made. I hope it doesn't mean that you have to physically build the constructs (incurring costs and time, not to mention the fatigue and errors that come with working with multiple people on an idea in the making--everyone has an opinion of how it should go). It will be a lot easier for any lone player to create a "simulated" ship in such VR environment and obtain the blueprint. Then in a shared multiplayer VR (I hope the developers will make this available in the Alpha), multiple players will be able to build the ship, preferably, using the 3D overlay of the "simulated" construction or blueprint. 

The possibility of shared and simulation without cost or price should also be made available in the near future. It could be based on skills, requiring a certain skill level for access to such simulated environment, multiplayer construction in the VR environment. I know however, that the majority of opinions will favour access to both without restriction.

The developers already did say that entering the VR environment will mean freedom from griefing. Whether or not some people will decide to spend most of their Dual lives in such a place remains to be seen. 

Just adding a few thoughts of my own. 

Cheers.

"

"

Hm...A VR environment is a good idea. But, I have a question that concerns the production of blue prints and multi player construction. 

The VR environment should allow for simulated costs and statistics: Esster's idea has much in common with this idea. So far, the developers said that blueprints will be gotten once constructs are made. I hope it doesn't mean that you have to physically build the constructs (incurring costs and time, not to mention the fatigue and errors that come with working with multiple people on an idea in the making--everyone has an opinion of how it should go). It will be a lot easier for any lone player to create a "simulated" ship in such VR environment and obtain the blueprint. Then in a shared multiplayer VR (I hope the developers will make this available in the Alpha), multiple players will be able to build the ship, preferably, using the 3D overlay of the "simulated" construction or blueprint. 

The possibility of shared and simulation without cost or price should also be made available in the near future. It could be based on skills, requiring a certain skill level for access to such simulated environment, multiplayer construction in the VR environment. I know however, that the majority of opinions will favour access to both without restriction.

The developers already did say that entering the VR environment will mean freedom from griefing whether or not some people will decide to spend most of their Dual lives in such a place remains to be seen. 

Cheers.

"

Would the cost be a property the Core Unit keeps track of its grid?

Let's say in VR mode, you put on a ship 500000 voxels of steel, which goes for X amount on the market a piece, thus it's X * 500000, then the Core unit keeps track of modules in its grid of voxels, thus, checkign average market prices and adapts said price to the whole package.

It's not something difficult to code in. I mean, they did say that Core Units deploy a localised grid, I'm only assuming the Core Units deploy blueprint "template" grids around them. I mean, it would make sense given how they explained it.

But yeah, like Jump Clones in EVE, having access to said VR should be tied to certain skill training to operate and build in VR. Otherwise new pelayers will just hop in and just play the game solo in VR pods.

"

Hm...A VR environment is a good idea. But, I have a question that concerns the production of blue prints and multi player construction. 

The developers already did say that entering the VR environment will mean freedom from griefing whether or not some people will decide to spend most of their Dual lives in such a place remains to be seen. 

Cheers.

"

I know what you all are up to and why you want such a VR sim ingame (now comes the BUT - classy as I am)

BUT

you have to prevent thousands of zombie players just standing/sitting around and building in their own VR sim. If not done right or just as a "sim in-game so you can build peacefully and make your blueprints with infinite resources", DU quickly will turn into a No Man's Land (hahahaha) where hundreds and thousands of players don't participate at all and in any way with their environment, because they only want to build. 

Even if that VR-thing is capable of dealing with more players (can't see why it shouldn't) it's not the best idea imho.

I know you want peace when building.

I know you want some kind of information while doing that (costs so much, needs that much ore,...)

I know you want to build a ship, without the fear of spending all your money because of trial and error.

Solutions would be:

Build in a completely safe zone (ark ship) or a player made safe zone (shield which can be destroyed)

Maybe some kind of overlay/UI thing - while actually building that ship switch to that mode and build a part of the vessel to see it's cost

For building bigger ships and stations - I don't want to see such a mode or VR-sim. Those huge constructs should be defended while being built and it should be clear to anyone that you just can't build such a monster in a completely safe environment (VR-sim) and then just press some buttons to get it in the real game. You could build some elements or smaller stages of that ship in a possible safe VR-sim, but not the whole ship.

Would the cost be a property the Core Unit keeps track of its grid?

Let's say in VR mode, you put on a ship 500000 voxels of steel, which goes for X amount on the market a piece, thus it's X * 500000, then the Core unit keeps track of modules in its grid of voxels, thus, checkign average market prices and adapts said price to the whole package.

It's not something difficult to code in. I mean, they did say that Core Units deploy a localised grid, I'm only assuming the Core Units deploy blueprint "template" grids around them. I mean, it would make sense given how they explained it.

But yeah, like Jump Clones in EVE, having access to said VR should be tied to certain skill training to operate and build in VR. Otherwise new pelayers will just hop in and just play the game solo in VR pods.

"

I will refer to "simulated" constructs as blueprints from here on.

It could be done by the Core Units, but that would mean the acquirement of such a Core Unit. Yes, it will be preferred and the consequences of needing a Core Unit to enter either a "simulated" or normal VR environment will be numerous. For example, keeping in mind that a character loses all everything in the personal inventory on his/her death, any Core Units holding the blueprints of constructs will be spoil for the victor. Of course, I will leave what follows to your imagination. Vae victis. 

Secondly, if the tracking of such costs is handled by the Core Unit, it will push the processing requirements to the RAM of the player(s) in question. We already do know that scripts will be run client side -- I see no reason why the same should not apply for blueprints and their creation. 

Thirdly, just because the actual VR environment is free from external influence, does not mean that the "simulated" VR should be. Using a simulated VR has its benefits, but we should also add some disadvantages to balance it out, in my opinion. Depending on a Core Unit will make it very easy. Imagine if accessing a "simulated" VR to create a blueprint required a Core Unit. Now, this Core Unit can be destroyed in the actual world. Being in the "simulation" protects you from harm, but not your precious Core Unit. And if such Core Unit is destroyed...here have my handkerchief.  

The normal VR, on the other hand can and should offer protection to both the users and the Core Unit. That way, players will have to decide whether it's worth the risk and/or investment in skill training to work in a "simulated" environment. 

Cheers. 

"

I know what you all are up to and why you want such a VR sim ingame (now comes the BUT - classy as I am)

BUT

you have to prevent thousands of zombie players just standing/sitting around and building in their own VR sim. If not done right or just as a "sim in-game so you can build peacefully and make your blueprints with infinite resources", DU quickly will turn into a No Man's Land (hahahaha) where hundreds and thousands of players don't participate at all and in any way with their environment, because they only want to build. 

Even if that VR-thing is capable of dealing with more players (can't see why it shouldn't) it's not the best idea imho.

I know you want some kind of information while doing that (costs so much, needs that much ore,...)

I know you want to build a ship, without the fear of spending all your money because of trial and error.

Solutions would be:

Build in a completely safe zone (ark ship) or a player made safe zone (shield which can be destroyed)

Maybe some kind of overlay/UI thing - while actually building that ship switch to that mode and build a part of the vessel to see it's cost

For building bigger ships and stations - I don't want to see such a mode or VR-sim. Those huge constructs should be defended while being built and it should be clear to anyone that you just can't build such a monster in a completely safe environment (VR-sim) and then just press some buttons to get it in the real game. You could build some elements or smaller stages of that ship in a possible safe VR-sim, but not the whole ship.

"

+1.

Congrats on being the first to address the issue. I was waiting for someone to do it! But first, allow me to clear off some misunderstanding.

The "simulated" environment only allows you to build an accurate hologram of the construct. That's what I meant by the overlay. Whatever is created in the "simulation" is not tangible: it's just a hologram. The purpose of such a VR is to: 

1. Aid people to build holograms without having the required resources to do so and work on them when the needed resources are available. 
  2. Nullify the cost of mistakes in construction posed by the absence of a cost-free creative environment. 
  3. Aid the efficiency of multiple people working together on one project of whatever scale.
  4. Any other realistic ideas...whatever they are. 

There is no "press of a button" instant manufacture of constructs. This is a science fiction game not the Magical School of Sorcery and Strangeness. Players will just have the advantage of using the to-scale hologram to guide the creation of the actual ship. In other words, you still have to build your ship the manual way, but this time, you have metrics to guide you and whatever partner(s) are involved in the project. 

1. Build a hologram, 2. perfect the hologram, 3. actually construct using the hologram as a guide. 

Waving your hand and casting a spell like Harry Potter will get you nothing...but you can keep trying. Practice makes perfect. 

As concerns the possibility of the abuse of such mechanics, I believe they have been addressed in my reply to Captain Twerk above.

If you have any more questions, wave your wand and utter a spell. I'll be there. 

Cheers.

"

I would like to point out that they have mentioned taking blueprints and submitting them to factory units for construction, I feel like this implies that ships with blueprints can be created without doing so manually but I could be wrong.

I would like to point out that they have mentioned taking blueprints and submitting them to factory units for construction, I feel like this implies that ships with blueprints can be created without doing so manually but I could be wrong.

true for smaller designs but definitely not for huge constructs

BUT

Solutions would be:

I think the perfect solution is not VR instead AR (augmented reality) so you actually build the hologram of the construct in the "real" (not really) world and include an auto build button (takes time). What do you think?

I think the perfect solution is not VR instead AR (augmented reality) so you actually build the hologram of the construct in the "real" (not really) world and include an auto build button (takes time). What do you think?

As said before and in that other thread about some builder tools (can't remember which one):

An overlay/UI thing/AR (like you put it) and what aetherios said is the best solution. No zombie players, no non-interacting PCs, no risk for the builders, a safe environment (if you build inside the arkship safe zone) - win win for everyone

Ninjaedit: about that automobile button: not feasible imho. Such AR-sims should give you the blueprint but nothing more

Call it the blueprint, draft, or hologram block. A block that you can build in-game, upon which you can create, save, load, and delete blueprints, similar to the core unit, but which allows you to put anything on it without a cost. You can't move the blueprint block, and you can't destroy or use anything that has been built via the blueprint block.

To avoid being abused for its indestructibility, it could be made into a hologram instead (no collision). It could become difficult to build with, such as not being able to access a certain hallway on a big ship to build, because it's somewhere you can't reach, but the solution could be to build some scaffolding around your workspace so that you can move in, out, and around your blueprint. Make your scaffolding mobile! Go nuts .

It should be able to be placed on a ship, in space, in case you want to build something small, for yourself, but it shouldn't work in velocity. So, if the ship that the block is on, is moving, the block won't work.

The creator of the block can allow other players to see the hologram, and participate on the project, and the players who has been allowed, can choose to see the projection and participate.  So, it's invisible to anyone the creator of the block doesn't allow to see it, and it's invisible to anyone who doesn't manually click to see it. It's a block that needs everyone consent. A "nice guy" block. The type of block that buys you a drink and doesn't expect anything in return.