Organizations, size, visibility, power, themes and more - your preferences?

Warden

What about promotion and ads?

Do you look for realistic diverse or balanced promotion with pros and cons, or rather something overblown, possibly with false or uncertain claims? Should it be realistic, exciting or something in-between?

I ask because over the years I have seen "interesting" player organization promotions. DU is no exception although what I would consider subjectively questionable promotion was very limited here from what I could see so far.

What would you consider "within reason" and where do you draw the line, if you'd draw one at all? As organization leader or manager, do you think "anything goes" or do you apply limits yourself?

Do you look for realistic diverse or balanced promotion with pros and cons, or rather something overblown, possibly with false or uncertain claims? Should it be realistic, exciting or something in-between?

I ask because over the years I have seen "interesting" player organization promotions. DU is no exception although what I would consider subjectively questionable promotion was very limited here from what I could see so far.

What would you consider "within reason" and where do you draw the line, if you'd draw one at all? As organization leader or manager, do you think "anything goes" or do you apply limits yourself?

Funny Youtube videos and creative posters. :P

Marketing is a powerful thing.

For me, promotion is all about social media interaction.

I don't really care about description write-ups or boasting.

I primarily want to know that our playstyles mesh.

And I prefer to have the freedom to help out when my mood suits rather than have preset obligations.

I tend to follow people on twitch and Twitter and then answer calls for help when I can spare the time.

I also try to adventure near people whose live streams I enjoy.

I think just pure involvement with the DU community is the best form of advertising. If someone (like many of those posting here,) actually takes the time to make posts and be interested in what people think on the forums, that gets my attention.

I get to know a little about them, whether or not they think carefully before posting, or if they just react to what is said, etc.

Like Briarthorn said, if I enjoy someones posts, I will be more apt to check out their organization, especially if they don't talk about their org every other post! (Note: obviously this does not apply to threads devoted to discussing orgs, such as this one. :) )

I that a joke? I don't find it funny at all. Be hanged.

???

"Subscribe" is a traditional forum response indicating you find a topic interesting, you want to tell the OP that, aren't following it (I don't want to be notified of new posts) but will be checking in occasionally.

I'm not at all sure how you read anything else into a single word response...

Well - anything goes, but sooner or later you need to put your money where your mouth is so to speak - recruits will work out quick enough if you are full of it ;)

That said - "out there" ads can lead to very rapid growth which isn't necessarily a good or manageable thing.

I personally like to run low key comms, and target specific recruits. Word of mouth is a powerful tool.

It would be interesting to see some sort of digital billboard on the fringes of civilization that promotes an org...  only to be hacked by a rival org because its far from their area.

It would be interesting to see some sort of digital billboard on the fringes of civilization that promotes an org...  only to be hacked by a rival org because its far from their area.

Billboard Vandalism.

"This week, BOO has just been awarded" *static cuts in and out* "with the worst possible rank among organizations" *static* "Back  to you Carol."

Drawing from my experiences in Eve, I played as vigilante, alliance warfare, and then faction warfare. I don't imagine I will focus on PvP in DU though because I am more interested in building and exploring, but if I get bored with that, who knows. All I know is that I am not the pirating type.

I think I prefer medium sized organizations, large enough so they have a constant active online presence, but not so large that you feel like a number.

And I think I'd like a multi-faceted org. And an org that is doing interesting and unique things in game. I'm not much of an RPer so I don't care about that, and don't really care about power. Structure-wise, maybe a libertarian democracy or oligarchy that has a vision that I am on board with.

Time for a little revival. Instead of posting it in the other thread, continuing it here might be better given the content. Also edited the op to include that topic.

Mostly referring to the lower part.

6 hours ago, OnePercent said:

With proper asset protections in place and a "join an org or perish" mentality, this would ensure that players can safely experience the game mechanics without interruptions from trolls etc. 

It will be quickly realized that the most valuable aspect of the game won't be the leaders or the orgs, or even emergent gameplay, the true value of the game will be the "grunts", the "workers" of each org or lone mercenary orgs. The willingness to give up leading but rather submitting to an org as a subordinate is the most valuable aspect. Organisations should do everything that can to convince players to join their cause.

Not everyone can or wants to lead anyway. Both in terms of character and of course quantity.

My rough stance I used to tell starting organizations in another forum would be: Trying to start your own organization (from scratch) with little support is not an easy thing. You'll have to invest time either way if it is to be more than just a few friends playing together, if you intend to recruit new people and grow business contacts. You'll also face the competition of many other organizations at least indirectly on an abstract level, because they also want to recruit people you could recruit. Only do this if you are serious about it, if you have unique aspects for your organization and / or a history. Something (or several things) to ensure at least remote mid- to long-term success.

Otherwise, don't bother if you don't have to make one and instead join an existing one. Chances are you'll have less stress and a better time, and so will the organization you join as it would be a +1. You don't always have to try to invent the wheel anew.

And if all other things fail after starting your own, you can still join an existing one then.

What does the DU community think about that topic? What is your stance?