Item Loss Occurence Ratio

Anaximander

Tie the item loss upon death with the distance of the player's "dead" avatar to the nearest Resurrection Node.

You die near a Resurrection Node? Very small chance of dropping an item, or possibly none. This will negate spawn camping. This also makes carrier ships carrying Resurrection Nodes a thing, as you don't want your fighter pilots losing their equipment in a battle. Ergo, the distance determined as "near", should be in the collective clusters of a star system.

You die very very far from a Resurrection Node? High chance of losing all your items. Will make even small, single-seater couriers careful, as even they will lose items they carry on their person upon death.

The boundaries should be the nearest possible distance to a Resurrection Node and the Maximum Distance the equation takes into account. Everything between, is a statistical adaptation between those boundaries.

The equation, may look something like this :

( iV / MIV ) x ( R / MR )

iV = item Volume.
MIV = Maximum Inventory Volume.
R = Distance from Resurrection Node
MR = Maximum Distance (Point of 100% chance of losing an item at its full chance to drop)

The formula above, tells us a few things. The bigger the item, the higher the chance of it being lost, BUT, the closer you are to the Resurrection Node, the smaller the inherit chance of losing said item.

Example :

DISCLAIMER :

(Numbers are speculatory and kept round for simplicity's sake, if you can't understand the nature of an example, please, feel free to look it up in the dictionary. If you can't understand how percentages are derived, please, feel free to go back to first grade.)

Item Volume = 25 Volume Units.
Maximum Inventory Volume = 50 Volume Units (size of your personal inventory)
R = 10,000 Km from the Resurrection Node.
MR = 100,000 Km from the Resurrection Node.

Given the formula of 
( iV / MIV ) x [ ( R / MR ) + 100% ], we get :

(25 / 50 ) x [ ( 10,000 / 100,000)

(50%) x ( 1/10) = 5% chance to lose the item.

That item was taking half your inventory's volume size, but given you died really close to the Resurrection Node, that chance went WAY down. It's still, a 5% chance, but let's see what happens for all those other items you carried on you.

Let's say a Kadpack (or Nanopack or magic satchel of material compression from the Lore :P ) has 1 Volume unit as a size, but it also contains a metric heckton of materials in it. You may be thinking "so.... is it gonna be rarer to drop than the Untamed Blade was to drop in Vanilla World of Warcraft?"

No, not really. KadPacks can follow the same ruleset, although, we add a modifier of their maximum capacity material-wise in the formula, as well as take into account the material in question (e.g. Gold is twice as dense as iron ,hence, gold may have twice the drop chance of iron).

Item Drop Ratio Formula adapted for KadPacks 

[ ( iV / MIV  ) ( ( MC / MMC ) + 100% ) MQF ] x [ ( R / MR ) + 100% ]

MQF = Material Qualifty Factor ( for the sake of the example, assume Atomic Number as a factor).
MMC = Maximum Material Capacity
MC = Material Capacity

iV = item Volume.
MIV = Maximum Inventory Volume.
R = Distance from Resurrection Node
MR = Maximum Distance (Point of 100% chance of losing an item at its full chance to drop)

Let's say that for some reason, you elected to be an intergalactic moisture farmer, ready to sell your spiffy hydrogen to the Intergalactic Bureaucracy (the faction formerly known as Prince-- I mean Cinderfal Syndicate).

You are on your merry way, being stacked to the brim with so many hydrogen-full KadPacks to constitute as your very own star if one of them lit up.

Suddenly, a Honey Badger appears ( he's probably a BOO zealot ). 

Your hydrogen is on the line and you wage how much you much of it you may lose when the Honey Badger gets to you. With the aforementioned formula and my ceaseless quest in drinking more - thinking less, we may got the answer.

You know your distance from the tntegalactic bureaucracy's trading hub ( the place known as Emberstone, until some german started a barbecue on the streets and the place got its actual, more concise name, Baconstone). The distance, it's 30,000 Km. KadPacks are 1 Volume unit worth, but they are full of hydrogen. The formula, is something like this :

[ ( iV / MIV) ( ( MC / MMC ) + 100% ) MQF ] x [ ( R / MR ) + 100% ]

[ ( 1 / 50 ) ( ( 10,000,000 / 10,000,000 ) + 100% ) 1 ] x [ ( 30,000 / 100,000 ) + 100%) ]

[ ( 1 / 50 ) ( 200% ) 1 ) x ( 130% ) = 5.2 % of losing a KadPack worth of that sweet sweet Hydrogen.

Don't worry though, you got a lot of of them after all. If the material was something actually rare like Rhenium, the aforementioned result would be.

[ ( 2% ) ( 100% + 100% ) 75 ) x ( 130% ) = 400%

That's exactly how screwed you are if you were to transfer Rhenium on your own. You are guaranteed to lose the KadPack with the Rhenium voxels in it and make Cybrex the most rich kid in all of Babylon.

Tactical Advice : If a Honey Badger zealot stops you on your merry way to Baconstone, you may wager paying a toll to them. Pirates are lazy and will rather be collecting the easy cash rather than chase you, kill you, salvage your wreck and then sell them. Ain't nobody got time for spreadsheets, especially Honey Badgers. Unless you are a moisture farmer and are selling Hydrogen to mermaids. At that point you should DEFINITELY say something rude to the pirates. Trust me, it will work fiiiiiine. Say something like "fite me bro 1v1 irl".

This way, the mentality of Risk/Reward is maintained. You wanna play safe and trade within your faction's borders? You are free to do so, but people won't pay you more for such jobs. You want to be a spiffy smuggler, trading between factions, having to take long journeys in deep space that are dangerous? You get paid more, as you run the risk of being intercepted and losing all your assets on your ship and person.

P.S. : I will be expecting the hate-mail from mad carebears at the Dual Universe Discord channel, where you can flame me in alt accounts all you want.

I think it's a fine idea for the death system. My only worry is rage at dropping that super rare item at 1% chance, so it'd probably be best to keep numbers a secret.

This would definitely discourage people from attacking someone far away, while simultaneously penalizing someone rather minimally for dying trying to protect their base.

Nice idea but I think power will matter. The more power the more you keep.

• No power the Resurrection Node is off. Res some where else.
  • Base power = lose stuff but your home.  
  • Lots of power = keep all your stuff.  Clearly the Resurrection Node is designed to drive your quest for energy early. 

Still not sure how they are going to Stop people slipping into your base via you Resurrection node, looting stiff and digging out. They have three game designers listed now so that's progress. They may be on it. A lot of resurrection nodes will be in trap rooms or have a one way exit system if not. "Jump off this cliff, it'll be fine!"

They could use a colour or number indexing system; each RN has a value you res at the one matching your preset the value. 

Nice idea but I think power will matter. The more power the more you keep.

• No power the Resurrection Node is off. Res some where else.
  • Base power = lose stuff but your home.  
  • Lots of power = keep all your stuff.  Clearly the Resurrection Node is designed to drive your quest for energy early. 

Still not sure how they are going to Stop people slipping into your base via you Resurrection node. They have three game designers listed now so that's progress. A lot of resurrection nodes will be in trap rooms or have a one way exit system.  

"Jump of this cliff, it'll be fine!"

They could use a colour or number indexing system each RN has a value when you res you enter or preset the value. 

The power-to-range ratio on the Resurrection Nodes is a good idea, the formula is in regards to the player's en of the process. If a powerful hub can increase its maximum range to ten times that of the default Resurrection Node, that's a fine strategic move, giving them greater "item drop safety net". heck, a strong faction may make the deep space between systems to be cosndered medium range safety item drop-wise.

Also, the Resurrection Node presence may determine the "security status" of an area on the map. Lots of RN? Place is safe, if you die, you won't lose any item probably. Place has only one Resurrection Node? You just walked into the ghetto :P

i agree with most of it except the in inventory containers:

containers should not be dropped as is, but are treated as part of the inventory, so you won't have 5% chance to loose your cargo, but you will loose around 5% of it. but then... it is too predictable, so i still tend to your solution...

i agree with most of it except the in inventory containers:

containers should not be dropped as is, but are treated as part of the inventory, so you won't have 5% chance to loose your cargo, but you will loose around 5% of it. but then... it is too predictable, so i still tend to your solution...

could work, although the KadPacks could / should be adapted to carry very little in voxel count, while a container on a ship can hold many orders of magnitude more in contrast to the maximum a player can ever hope to carry on their person.

"Don't take with you what you cant afford to loose"

I thought the idea was that you drop *everything* in your inventory when you die, the only thing that should be safe are your credits as they are an electronic item and not store on your person

"Don't take with you what you cant afford to loose"

I thought the idea was that you drop *everything* in your inventory when you die, the only thing that should be safe are your credits as they are an electronic item and not store on your person

Bitcoin wallet sorta business. You can drop it, or, you can elect travelling without cash on a space-truck mission, with a space-truck you were provided for, like a FedEx guy in space.

We all know logisticians will find a minimum fuel need for a space-truck, so the drivers won't be given cash for gas stations just in-case :P