Space Ship Cargo Storage

Skeeter

I was thinking today that there could be two options to haul materials in Dual Universe.

The Cargo Hold

This option would be a conventional room simply meant for storing raw materials, manufactured parts, food, people, ammunition, or just about any other conceivable thing.

Pros

-Incredibly cheap to build

-Very durable

-Can haul ANYTHING

Cons

-Not nearly as much storage space as a ship size Kadpak

-Requires a relatively large amount of room

The Ship-Size Kadpak (Name subject to change)

This option would be a scaled up version of what every player has on their back. Essentially it will allow for storage of massive amounts of raw materials in a very small space. This means it would be quite ideal for miners and certain cargo vessels.

Pros

-Can haul many times more raw materials per volume than a Cargo hold.

-Doesn't require near the amount of space as a cargo hold.

Cons

-Is much more expensive to build than a cargo hold.

-Can only hold raw materials.

-Requires a steady flow of energy to maintain compressed matter.

-If power is cut or it is badly damaged by a weapon the matter inside of it will rapidly become uncompressed causing catastrophic damage to the surrounding structure.

I just thought this would be interesting as it would add more options for any spaceship engineers out there.

Space pirates would also have to be a bit more careful with their work as rupturing a Ship Size Kadpak could mean the destruction of everything they are trying to steal. This would more than likely save lots of people from being totally annihilated as many pirates would rather hold people up and steal their stuff than just blow them up.

Interesting post. But i must decline your idea of 2 types, i hope that there are several types of storage not just for different types of items/materials but for different amounts.

Like your idea there could be a trade off of size, capacity, power, ect for different storage devices. But instead of their only being two there could be several (or infinite) where you can have:

A small cargo hold that has high capacity but requires a MASSIVE amount of power to do anything and is expensive.

A large cargo hold that has high capacity but requires a Small amount of power because it's bigger in size and would be cheaper.

So basically like a procedural cargo hold, you dictate it's size and power consumption and it throws back out a capacity that it can store. Once placed or designed it is a fixed element or it could be a variable element.

If you supply more power than it requires then you could get more capacity out of a cargo hold than you would normally.

Not really sure if any of that makes sense, I went through like 6 different ideas in my head all at the same time.

But yeah, i hope that there is more than just a handful of ideas, that is if the KadPaks aren't infinite, i don't think we have a confirmed 'max capacity' of the kadpak only that it's on your belt and you store things in it.

Time will tell though :)

nora,

Interesting post. But i must decline your idea of 2 types, i hope that there are several types of storage not just for different types of items/materials but for different amounts.

Like your idea there could be a trade off of size, capacity, power, ect for different storage devices. But instead of their only being two there could be several (or infinite) where you can have:

A small cargo hold that has high capacity but requires a MASSIVE amount of power to do anything and is expensive.

A large cargo hold that has high capacity but requires a Small amount of power because it's bigger in size and would be cheaper.

So basically like a procedural cargo hold, you dictate it's size and power consumption and it throws back out a capacity that it can store. Once placed or designed it is a fixed element or it could be a variable element.

If you supply more power than it requires then you could get more capacity out of a cargo hold than you would normally.

Not really sure if any of that makes sense, I went through like 6 different ideas in my head all at the same time.

But yeah, i hope that there is more than just a handful of ideas, that is if the KadPaks aren't infinite, i don't think we have a confirmed 'max capacity' of the kadpak only that it's on your belt and you store things in it.

Time will tell though :)

nora,

I really like the idea of a procedural cargo hold. I didn't mean to make it sound like I only wanted two options for cargo storage either I just was pitching some ideas that I thought sounded interesting. I still think you should be able to have cargo holds that don't compress matter and are pretty much a simple room with no power draw though.

Would said cargo hold be able to hold fluids, or would they need to be stored in containers before being placed into the cargo hold? 

I suppose I'm envisioning more of an oil tanker type cargo hold when I read your post. 

On every game I ever played, liquids and solids are stored and carried differently. Ships carrying liquids use a tanker design while ships carrying, say, ore from asteroid mining, can be carried in any cheap cargo hold because a liquid tight seal is not needed. That's 2 different types right there, also had radioactivity to the mix, from either waste products being hauled or ore that is unsafe unless stored carefully. So that makes at least 3 kinds, I'm sure there might be more, mainly balanced around the cost of the ship and cargo space involved.

Would radioactivity require it's own special container, or might it be better to require some sort of shielding around a generic container to prevent radiation from leaking out of it?

that last one is what many games call a 'standard cargo container' used for all random things and easy to stack. the round one in a box might well be liquid carrying containers, and also stackable, and the radiation I mentioned would need a more or less standard container, shielded to keep the ships crew safe.

Whoa Ripper,

That's really cool concept art.

Is that new or did I just miss it on the site?

From this concept art though it is obvious there will be many options to consider for transportation of freight and cargo.

My hope being, after seeing the concepts that Ripper has just shared, is that you may have a general hold for all sorts of items and then there would be more specialized holds for certain items that cannot be carried without containment, or just specialized for needs based on the players want to transport certain goods.

I.e, Massive containers that are specifically specialized in carrying ore, but in large quantities compared to say, the general containers. That way a player can specify what he or she would like to move around and have ships/vehicles specifically designed to those tasks.

A random thought, along with the usual "sorry if this has been posted here already"

I'd like to have the ability to scan cargo containers to see what is inside of them, and for this capability to have LUA hooks so that we could, for example, script the ability to look for prohibited/illegal cargo when people dock in our stations.

A random thought, along with the usual "sorry if this has been posted here already"

I'd like to have the ability to scan cargo containers to see what is inside of them, and for this capability to have LUA hooks so that we could, for example, script the ability to look for prohibited/illegal cargo when people dock in our stations.

I like the idea, what if we iterate on that again and say, make specific containers scan proof as to try and stop piracy/avoid it being detected by station owners etc. But have a drawback, i.e, they require more power, are smaller and such? 

What if they're planning to make it so it's like how hauling ships works in EVE, where each type or selected portion of items has to be made into the "packaged" version and physically placed in your ship?

While that might a more obtrusive method, it would certainly provide some more interesting game mechanics.   :blink: