ship max weight

KamiKazeGrenade

I'm Pretty new so dont take what I say as gospel.

As far as I can tell its more of a scale than a limit.  For example:  We may have a heavy load and it will still fly but we might need a big flat area to build up enough speed to generate lift without hitting anything.  So, in this case if we land in a hilly area we might not be able to take off.

For this reason the best method seems to be .......... try it and see :)

Test:  So, if you can link to a container near you ship (a container than has a lot of ore).  Put more and more weight in and see how much weight it will carry with you still being comfortable that you wont crash .

31 minutes ago, KamiKazeGrenade said:

is there a way to see how much weight my ship can carry ??

Nope, you would need to do math and anything but ballpark numbers is complicated.
In atmo with lift - it depends on initial speed you can get. You can get to this speed with hovers (or busters) and engines. Or stay as hovercraft. Than its a question of how unwieldy ship will become. Inertia matters a lot in this game. than if you want to go to space - you need to deal with less efficient atmo engines and lift depending on atmospheric density, has enough speed left for space engines to kick in (they kick after you have less than 10% atmo) and they also have efficiency based on atmo density. 

My ballpark numbers - based on my last 2 ships and multiple modifications - are subject to change, but for now - lots and lots of lift, 1 L atmo per 150-200t total weight and 1 L space for 300-400t total weight for atmo-space hybrid.

In build mode at top center there are helper tools giving you critical information.

They will show you live information about maximum low altitude lift (hover) and high altitude lift (flight at max speed) possible while you build. The default unit is N-m (Newton meter). And with gravity measured in m/s² it then becomes relatively easy to convert mass to weight. Just multiply the total weight (kg) you want to lift with the planets gravity (m/s²) to get the theoretical minimum N-m number you need to lift the weight.

So for example on Alioth where the gravity is 1g (9.8m/s²), if you want to lift 100T (remember to include the weight of the ship and fuel) you will need: 100K * 9.8 = 980KN-m of lift.

But since this is the theoretical minimum, you will of course need some overhead. And this is where experimentation in ship design etc comes into play. And if you want to get into space, you will need a lot more overhead to get through the air to space border.