Figures out custom elements

Hisshadow

Was watching the video of a fighter ship being built and noticed the elements like the core, gas tanks and such can be covered with voxels making them internal to the ship.

Could you also contain engine elements the same way? That way you could say make startrek warp nacelle out of voxels yet embedded inside would be the standard engine element. :)

Hmm... I wouldn't be in favor of that. Engines are a big part of what makes ships look nice and it would sort of negate the point if you could put them anywhere inside the ship. I would hope that at least the aft end of the engine needs to be exposed to make way for the thrusters.

Also I would point out that in star trek, the impulse engines (sub-FTL) are actually exposed at the back of the saucer section. The nacelles house the warp coils, so if you wanted to replicate a starship you would put whatever FTL drive gets implemented in the nacelles.

I see, the classic space engineers trick you use without block damage when you want a smooth large ship surface! I feel as though this might be overpowered and so the developers will probably implement something to ensure that doesn't happen... Most likely the exhaust of the engine will need to be exposed to certain space or something.

If it has implications on gameplay there has to be limit, specifying it has to have a exhaust makes sense. I hope they create some "naked" versions that you can incase in as much or as little armor and make it look cool.

I want a cockpit that is just a seat and a joystick so I can build whatever type of canopy I like or be totally open to space.

Like Code24 said, It would make sense that we can cover most of the engine while leaving the exhaust exposed. I have a feeling though that it wont really matter and you'll be able to cover the entire engine.

If it has implications on gameplay there has to be limit, specifying it has to have a exhaust makes sense. I hope they create some "naked" versions that you can incase in as much or as little armor and make it look cool.

I want a cockpit that is just a seat and a joystick so I can build whatever type of canopy I like or be totally open to space.

The kickstarter video shows an open cockpit or seat though it has a high back and roll bar. Perfect for grav forklifts,  hovertrucks and tank crews. 

Was watching the video of a fighter ship being built and noticed the elements like the core, gas tanks and such can be covered with voxels making them internal to the ship.

Could you also contain engine elements the same way? That way you could say make startrek warp nacelle out of voxels yet embedded inside would be the standard engine element. :)

Only the 2 smallest engines look like that. The bigger engines look like they are designed to be covered and are in the bigger ships. I think they wanted the 2 starting engines to be intuitive. So people know which way to face them. 

I think at this time, the elements such as engines are only directional and dont have intakes or exhausts so technically yes, ethically no ;)