Volcanic and Seismic Activity

Orius

After just coming out of the shower, I have had an epiphany: Seismic and volcanic activity on planets. This feature would not be applied to all planets, as it may cause too much server stress. This engine would work similar to how tectonic plates work on earth, or the plates could be immobile and the only evidence that they exist is mountains and valleys.

All of the plates on Earth are driven by one thing: magma. This magma could present on planets, with unique subcrustal temperatures varying greatly. This magma does not have to be fluid, but textured to look fluid. This would ensure that server stress levels remain stable to handle this amount of liquid present without crashing. In order to compensate for this lack of fluidity, lava tubes could be implemented to present evidence of previous plate activities that could be used as a base hideout of some kind. 

This magma could be used as an energy source, with many pumps being used to extract it. These tubes would have to be able to handle the high temperatures of the magma in order for successful magma extraction to happen. If it is unsuccessful, the pipes could just melt or something. This would explode the market with different types of tubes with varying effectiveness. 

I will continue this post as a different idea titled "Ice Moons and Cryovolcanism" so you can respond to it separately. 

Alioth didnt got magma or anything inside it, just dirt, rock and ore. I think i have heard the Dev say a reason about why there isnt magma there but forgot about it.

3 hours ago, ShioriStein said:

Alioth didnt got magma or anything inside it, just dirt, rock and ore. I think i have heard the Dev say a reason about why there isnt magma there but forgot about it.

I think I've seen some NQ post saying that the core will be something like magma...

I'll search for sources....

I dont think NQ will let players dig deep enough to hit any sort of magna core, more like digging 1km down and thats it (I just pulled that distance out of my head).

I dont see the need of going to all the trouble of modeling a seismic world, that could pose a severe strain on the server, to create an effect (earthquakes) that could damage constructs and piss off the player base. I see this idea generally as a lose-lose proposition.

Umu i'm wrong, NQ said "there will be some planet without lava core such as moon...".

They say it from: https://dualuniverse.gamepedia.com/Archive:Kickstarter_AMA_Q%26A,_Part_One and https://dualuniverse.gamepedia.com/Archive:Kickstarter_AMA_Q%26A,_Part_Two

12 hours ago, CoreVamore said:

I dont think NQ will let players dig deep enough to hit any sort of magna core, more like digging 1km down and thats it (I just pulled that distance out of my head).

Seriously doubt that

The way geothermal energy works isn't by piping the lava itself. It just uses the temperature difference the deeper you get in the earth's crust as an advantage. Like you just pipe water down insulated pipes with a conducting loop at the bottom that allows the water to heat up. The disadvantage is the length of pipe, amount of pumping and insulation needed. Not the integrity of the pipe. An easier way to do it is just have the piping system at a point on the surface where it's unusually hot. Like a volcano for example. This could make them points of interest.

Don't see why volcanoes couldn't be added as just hot mountains with a bit that has lava in the middle. Or perhaps not even lava. Just a hot mountain. Earthquakes are going to be a pain. You would have to load the damage to voxels in a very large area. But I don't see why minor tremors could be added. Like you step outside one day and everything just gets shaky and rumbly.