Repairing Large ships, from the inside

Wardonis

Any idea if they are going to give us tools to do this? I understand that hull deformation will probably require dry dock repair if it's anything above minor but during a major scuffle could a crew of a manned ship have an effective engineering team repairing the ship during the battle?

JC has mentioned the idea of repairing ships during combat, so I assume this is something we will see eventually. However, there are no details on this process (or repairing of any kind, for that matter) so we can only speculate as to how any of it will work.

That being said, I really hope they implement this feature ASAP, not only for convenience, but because it sounds really cool. Being a part of a damage control crew on a large warship during a pitched battle would be amazing, and it would be a shame if we're not allowed to do it. 

16 hours ago, Vorengard said:

JC has mentioned the idea of repairing ships during combat, so I assume this is something we will see eventually. However, there are no details on this process (or repairing of any kind, for that matter) so we can only speculate as to how any of it will work.

That being said, I really hope they implement this feature ASAP, not only for convenience, but because it sounds really cool. Being a part of a damage control crew on a large warship during a pitched battle would be amazing, and it would be a shame if we're not allowed to do it. 

I imagine it would also be good for the sake of balance, possibly. It should, for the sake of said balance, be harder and more intense to fly, maintain and effectively use a larger ship versus smaller ones. A big, well-oiled organization should be able to host a large, big force, but a single bully with a large warship should be easier to take down.

From their talks and such they seem to be very keen on getting interactive ship-play. Repairing functions of some degree ought surely to be in the works, or planned to be.

There are actually some details on repairing ships already. During the GDC interview in February, JC was asked this question. He said that there will be elements which can repair constructs based on their original blueprint; as in, the repair unit is aware of what the construct is supposed to look like, and can gradually restore the construct back to that state.

It will always be possible to repair by hand, but there will be repair units that will be able to restore a ship back to what it initially was before it was damaged, provided the unit has the required resources, energy, and time. The repair unit will know what the construct it is a part of is supposed to look like, and it will have the capability of restoring a construct back to that original image if the construct is damaged.