Multiple Playable Races / Civilizations / Raid Worlds

slickz

not really, since you arent alive your muscles cant be deconstructed by your organism and you dont suffer muscle atrophy when in stasis

that depends on how the miraculous coolant that is used to preserve you delays the rate of water expansion in your cells or how its inversion cycles work. Cause ten thousand years is a pretty long time for the inversion cycle to maintain your cells cool and inert, while protecting them from ice bursting them... and you know, half-life and stuff, chemicals degrade. And it's a viable explanation for any memory loss suffered in stasis when the player wakes up in game AND why you need an implant in your brain to learn skills. Practically, when the player wakes up, he/she just woke up from the worst stroke comma of his/her life. 

that its the worst stroke ever because of freeze damage doesnt change that your organism isnt working during the time in stasis, you are frozen and inactive.

your body /cant/ deconstruct muscle and bone mass for resource saving.

you will have full-body freeze damage, yes, but thats a completely different thing than atrophy.

you'll have nerve damage, muscle damage, brain damage, organ damage from imperfect freezing

but atrohpy requires your organism to be active during the time.

that its the worst stroke ever because of freeze damage doesnt change that your organism isnt working during the time in stasis, you are frozen and inactive. your body /cant/ deconstruct muscle and bone mass for resource saving. you will have full-body freeze damage, yes, but thats a completely different thing than atrophy. you'll have nerve damage, muscle damage, brain damage, organ damage from imperfect freezing but atrohpy requires your organism to be active during the time.

If there's nerve damage across the body, that COULD cause muscle memory to be extinguished due to long periods of not being used. As far I have looked into it, cryostasis is a tricky business due to the dangers involved. Yes, technically you could fall asleep and wake up with a severe case of shaking and possibly vasculi bursting, but you would have cheated time. But if the stasis agent is chemical then many factors are to be considered, half-life being one of them, cell expansion that could probably lead to tumors pronto upon waking up, especially on the brain if the chemical is not circulated properly or its

inversion periodsd slow.

"Space, the final frontier..."

More like your Final Destination Cpt. Kirk. :P

I don't think multiple playable races would be hard to implement. If the players were to create them as they go, it would be easy. Each player could start off as a human due to no experience points. As they progress through the game, they'll gain skill points and some of these skill point functions can be to unlock or purchase new race attributes such as things like: breathing under water, teleportation, flight, moderate shape shifting abilities (growing taller, swelling in size), and very slight physical appearance changes such as exotic hair and skin colors. Once the player has unlocked a certain trait or attribute, they can use that to create a custom race on another character play through. These attributes/traits would be simple an basic and they would allow the player to create races and creatures from science fiction movies like Star Trek and Star Wars. These features can all be added to a player character without breaking gameplay. I'm sure the game will have procedurally generated animals of an alien nature to us, so I don't see why we couldn't have alien races. It would be an awesome addition to the game, even if they would all be humanoid in nature (two hands, two legs). For example, you could easily create an Asari from Mass Effect with just blue skin, a lock on genders and some simple telepathic/biotic abilities.

not really, since you arent alive your muscles cant be deconstructed by your organism and you dont suffer muscle atrophy when in stasis

the "common" concept of cryosleep in science fiction is an extreme decrease in body functions, not a compete freezing. That means we can expect that over a time of several thousand of years the body will age for at least a few months, thus causing the muscles to atrophy.

the "common" concept of cryosleep in science fiction is an extreme decrease in body functions, not a compete freezing. That means we can expect that over a time of several thousand of years the body will age for at least a few months, thus causing the muscles to atrophy.

Depends on the type of cryosleep as there are a few examples where you are truly frozen and as such do not age at all however like you said most of the time it does mean an extreme reduction in bodily functions meaning you only age a little (honestly its probably a bit more than a few months but meh doesn't really matter)

@Dominar

The chances of a planet developing a sentient, higher cerebral functions species, is very low. Xeno-animals do not count as sentient lifeform. And as the game is marketed, you rebuild human civilisation, so I can't see aliens being playable races. 

The chances of aliens aren't low, they are inevitable. In-game chances, however, are a matter of the Devs choices. I agree with you though on the chances of aliens being unplayable.

After reading this topic - I feel like I need to wash my eyes out. This is a sandbox, not a freaking linear story play MMO.

The only thing we need to worry about is the ability to create our own characters, I know if done right I would love to see something on the scale of Eve Online's character editor for Dual universe, although to pull that off would take a fair amount of time and coding knowledge. 

Perhaps with a successful kickstarter, character modifications (animal ears and tails nya!), and possibly even some alien creatures or extra depth to the monoliths will be possible?

Hmmm, the fox ears or cybernetics of any kind, should be in the game, but having the disadvantage of taking a toll on your energy consumption and/or regeneration rate of energy. But aliens... eh... kind of difficult, since the Arkship is a human ship so... maybe there's an aspect or reward in PvE that ends up creating a District 9 situation, where the player gets exposed and slowly turns into the alien race, or at least, a hybrid, having to rely on differnt food sources and/or different oxygen levels. A toxic planet now becomes their go-to world.

Sure I'm fine with any kind of system.

If I have to be weaker for being smaller, ok.

If I'm disadvantaged for having floppy ears and a bouncy tail, thats good to.

Hmm, yes on the D-9, I know this is kind of abstract from your idea, but it gave me a thought.

If when you go out exploring the monoliths for rare blue print modules, or whatever else they are going to give.

Perhaps they could have one of the events be, you are infected by an alien retrovirus.

The outcomes could be, to seek treatment.

or fail to seek treatment, and turn into some alien creature. Will your nanoformer or some other technology, kill you or separate your mind from your body and revive you at a Resurrection Node?

Would the infected body remain as a dangerous and strong NPC for anyone new coming to that monolith to have to deal with?

Sure I'm fine with any kind of system.

If I have to be weaker for being smaller, ok.

If I'm disadvantaged for having floppy ears and a bouncy tail, thats good to.

Hmm, yes on the D-9, I know this is kind of abstract from your idea, but it gave me a thought.

If when you go out exploring the monoliths for rare blue print modules, or whatever else they are going to give.

Perhaps they could have one of the events be, you are infected by an alien retrovirus.

The outcomes could be, to seek treatment.

or fail to seek treatment, and turn into some alien creature. Will your nanoformer or some other technology, kill you or separate your mind from your body and revive you at a Resurrection Node?

Would the infected body remain as a dangerous and strong NPC for anyone new coming to that monolith to have to deal with?

The Resurrection Nodes use a quantum mechanical thingie, that acounts only for your body. Perhaps if you die and revive there at the near moment of your death, the Node will preserve your retrofited genetic stage, but still, not everything not chemically bound to you, aka, gear or items. It could work, the retrovirus thing is an excellent idea. Let's face it, human nature is dark. If a guy sees a lobsterman approaching him, he'll go like "KILL IT, KILL IT WITH FIRE!" first, than actually thinking "oh look, a player turned into a Lobsterman". More to that, you can make said Lobstermen a rabid infested species of creatures, so to incentivise players to shoot first than ask questions. It would make for an excellent reason to seek gene therapists, who could be a FULLY INVESTED medical class, requiring all skill points to be dumped in the medical tree.

And the retrofiting process of the virus should proceed even when the player is offline, making the only solution to halt the process being cryostasis. 

Imeersion meter : DOES NOT COMPUTE