Here's what NQ does not get .. and needs to take note of ..

A love letter to Eve Online’s tutorial (thenextweb.com)

Quote:

"Far too often, the developers behind complex games (I won’t name and shame, but you know who you are) will try to front load the tutorial with everything a player needs to know. It’s like they’re angrily shoving information at me, as if to declare “I gave you everything you needed to know how to play. What more could you want from me?”"

Obvioulsy, having a well established and qualified behavioural Psychiatrist on the payroll who is actively involved in the design of the EVE NPE is a thing.. CCP Ghost certainly knows his stuff.

On 5/13/2021 at 12:39 PM, blazemonger said:

A love letter to Eve Online’s tutorial (thenextweb.com)

Quote:

"Far too often, the developers behind complex games (I won’t name and shame, but you know who you are) will try to front load the tutorial with everything a player needs to know. It’s like they’re angrily shoving information at me, as if to declare “I gave you everything you needed to know how to play. What more could you want from me?”"

Obvioulsy, having a well established and qualified behavioural Psychiatrist on the payroll who is actively involved in the design of the EVE NPE is a thing.. CCP Ghost certainly knows his stuff.

arent NQ ditching the tutorial anyway?

They should, it's horrific and completely misses the point. It also exactly does what the quote I took out of the article say. It shoves so much information down your throat you lose track of what it was that was said and after that you're on your own. The current EVE introduction is relatively short, it's laced with cheeky comments by Aura and it's actually voice acted which brings a "human touch" to it. DU just uses sometimes horribly formulated sentences, translated from French, and throws them out using Google's TTS engine. Aphelia is not funny, she has no soul and certainly does not bring a sense of "I'm here to support" to the new player.[

Now, NQ does not have the resources to deliver production value and quality at the level CCP does obviously but still.. It's cold, robotic and uninspired in execution. There is a good few fairly simple audio design tricks that would make the experience much better than it is but I do not think NQ has any actually sound designers or if they have does not utilize them.

Current tutorials provide a good source of exploitable income... 

All of that was reported to NQ back in September. But are still availabe to players. 

We have also seen the exploiting ore  buy orders on sanctuary moon that capture new player's tutorial sell orders. 

Tutorials should happen in a sandbox mode without any connection to real DU universe. 

Players should have the tutorial on login menu, instead of logging in to the shard. 

We know the tutorial is a bit.. shall we say long? And yes, it is totally being revamped but is still a bit of a ways off.  It will be shorter, more to the point to get folks playing quickly and into the world with (or without) friends.