Docking Issues

RatDog

I've read up on the forums about this and have tried what has been talked about concerning docking but am not having any success.

I have a Galactica style battle cruiser with a ship hanger in the aft section of the ship.  The premise is that my smaller core ships should be able to fly into the hanger, drop their landing gear and dock.  I'm testing this out on the ground because I thought it may be easier, plus I don't want to kill myself and/or destroy my ships.  I've tried flying my ship into the hanger and dropping my gear.  I tested this by using the maneuver tool on the parent ship and the child ship falls through the bottom.  I then decided to use the maneuver tool and move the child ship into the parent ship and with the gear down I drop it inside the hanger.  I then tested this out using the maneuver tool on the parent ship and it looked like I had a good dock.  I then went into the pilot chair of the parent ship and just had a mild hover.  The child ship dropped through the bottom of my hanger.

What am I missing here?  Not sure what else I can do to make this work.  Any help would be appreciated.

I believe the current solution is you CANNOT be standing on a dynamic core when using the maneuver tool. Try standing on the ground (maybe static core) and maneuver the child dynamic onto the parent dynamic. I tilt the parent so when you drop off the child, you can see quickly if it slides off or sticks. 

I'll try to find the discord post about this....

29 minutes ago, RumRunner25 said:

I believe the current solution is you CANNOT be standing on a dynamic core when using the maneuver tool. Try standing on the ground (maybe static core) and maneuver the child dynamic onto the parent dynamic. I tilt the parent so when you drop off the child, you can see quickly if it slides off or sticks. 

I'll try to find the discord post about this....

I'm standing on the ground when I try to do this.  I just read something that says if you are trying to dock on your own territory (which I am) that you have to give yourself parenting rights on your territory (F7).  I'm going to try to attempt that now.

I have only been able to get docking to work by using the maneuver tool on the smaller ship, while standing on the ground, or floating in space far enough away from the ships, or standing on a space station. Occasionally it doesn't work for some reason and I have to try it again. I haven't tried anything with parenting rights.

• 2 weeks later...

I really want to run through all post about docking and just say locking landing gear. Common NQ let get this fixed. You don't realize how not fun it is until you thought something was attached and then watch it fall of smack you in the face and blow up your ship, one life down =(

But I just got done building my carrier loaded up my small ship and went to go explore and bam ship goes boom...

NQ fecked up the manoeuvre tool for everyone because a tiny percentage of players were using it in creative and occasionally underhanded ways that JC didn’t like.

So they came up with the nerf hammer: a convoluted set of conditions such as the 3min,  128m rule,  standing in a dynamic construct prevents core docking etc.  ships fall if you’re not grounded and release them... etc. 

basically turning a useful tool that some people put half a million XP into into YATM (yet another tiresome mechanic). 

since the game has absolutely no actual docking mechanisms such as grapples, beams, collars, slots, magnetic plates etc. it was useful for “hangar staff” to be able to align fighters in a bay like you see in the movies, all shipshape and Bristol fashion, ready for rapid release. 

But if you try that now, you’ll just end up if a bunch of ships sliding around with zero friction. 

...because surface friction on voxels, like the bottoms of your avatar’s shoes being as slick as a car salesman’s tongue, also seems to be something NQ can’t manage to master.  

For me this never worked on planet, but in space. I'd recommend trying it on a space station, but be careful and have a friend with you because if a bug accidentally flings something away you may have a hard time catching it alone (especially if your station is in the gravity well of a planet).

In fact docking to ships oftentimes works so well, you didn't even intend it, like my battleship getting docked to my S ship, even though it is still very far away and all I did was move it out of the way. Always very fun when you realize you have a 500 ton blob in the corner of your build space somehow stuck to you and now you are plummeting towards a planet and are barely maneuverable. One of the reasons I think element destruction is such a great idea! 

I can use the manouver tool when im on top of my M-core ship. But I couldnt dock a certain ship because of the collision box, there was enough room(flat surface) but i couldnt lower the small xs core any further so it would be on top of my M-core. So maybe the docking has also a problem with the collision box

nodocking.jpg

nodocking2.jpg