Option to Turn off Player Nametags

Orius

Dual Universe should have the option to turn off player nametags. This should be implemented as purely a performance issue, but I could see it being used for cosmetics (screenshots, gameplay, etc). The reason this should be possible is because some players' computers will not be able to handle the high stress levels of the single shard universe, especially with floating nametags having to be rendered along with computing the server load. This could also serve some practical purposes as well, such as only showing the players' nametags that are only in your organization(s). This could ensure that you don't accidentally destroy your own organization's bases, kill your own organization members, etc. This would only be needed when an organization swells beyond member memorization, but would still be nice to have. 

I think so, mostly because is realistic and very practical for many purposes. It's something very useful and, in the end, I feel it's a matter of freedom to show or not show your nametags.

I'd prefer if nametags were not visible by deault, unless you point your crosshair at him, or tag him for tracking (i.e. your whole team during combat).

So hiding in the crowd would be still possible, unless someone is checking every single passing person (or just spot you by accident).

And sneaking, ambushing, hiding and things like that would be player-tactical-skill based.

4 hours ago, Stig92 said:

Besides controlling what you see there should also be a way to prevent others from seeing you if you don't want a hovering text making it lot easier for any bypasser (who might be armed) to notice you.

make that a skill, the higher the skill the closer you can get to someone without your name tag popping up ;)

8 hours ago, CoreVamore said:

make that a skill, the higher the skill the closer you can get to someone without your name tag popping up ;)

Or people could use their eyes to spot the actual player, maybe have some binocular tool. 

I think I agree with you guys, doesn't seem like there is a lot of value in floating nametags unless you are "grouped" (if there is such a thing in ue) or you are looking at them. Hopefully it will also be better looking floating nametags if visibility is limited to direct line of sight and "grouped" players who are working together.