Long Range Exploration

Kuritho

DU should have planets spread out so we'd have to actually send colony ships in hope of finding a suitable planet,

which makes funding the ships a long term investment.

(If this is confusing you, tell me how I can improve future posts.)

New players will want to be able to travel between their early planets without needing to worry about long term investment in colony ships though.

Depending upon how advanced the community has gotten, they may be able to buy a ship for cheap and go explore the solar system

Depending upon how advanced the community has gotten, they may be able to buy a ship for cheap and go explore the solar system

The Devs have mentioned this as well, but I have been wondering, HOW is a new player going to afford one of these new ships, say a year after launch, I can see the start planet being mostly striped of anything of value at that point in time.  Unless they implement an auto-replenish to the dug out areas in the start zone, but since the rest of the planet should be claimable, how can they justify replenishing an owned area, what if it was dug out for an underground base etc....

The Devs have mentioned this as well, but I have been wondering, HOW is a new player going to afford one of these new ships, say a year after launch, I can see the start planet being mostly striped of anything of value at that point in time.  Unless they implement an auto-replenish to the dug out areas in the start zone, but since the rest of the planet should be claimable, how can they justify replenishing an owned area, what if it was dug out for an underground base etc....

I've been wondering that too. At a guess I'd say everyone gets a fixed amount of cash when they first spawn in, and if all the ships available are too expensive then... Bye bye new player. Though, while any good salesman would cater to the new populace, methinks there might not be quite as many that do so.

As for the replenishing of resources.... I suppose that, if the area is occupied by a player construct then resources cannot spawn within say... ten meters? So if you put an underground base in, then yay secrecy but boo resources. 

Make the basic construction materials from renewable resources, for example an algae farm (with extra production steps) eventually produces plastic -- no need for magic ore respawining.

Another option is NPC buy orders for non-renewable resources that can be fulfilled by the players, and said npcs will sell them (with markup!) on the ark

"The answer's easy. Buy from the Aether or become an ally."

Make the basic construction materials from renewable resources, for example an algae farm (with extra production steps) eventually produces plastic -- no need for magic ore respawining.

Another option is NPC buy orders for non-renewable resources that can be fulfilled by the players, and said npcs will sell them (with markup!) on the ark

As far as I know, NPC's are not a thing with DU

As far as I know, NPC's are not a thing with DU

they said somewhere that they will have NPC vendors selling basic modules so people that don't know how to code can buy one and get a ship flying with it, no mention however on if they will buy things.

I would imagine that by the time the arkship safezone's materials were stripped out, the community as a whole would have created some kind of super civilization hub there too. You would be able to look for organizations to join or perhaps get some kind of paying job in the city to buy a ship later on.

Long range exploration:

It looks like we will be able to scan systems and see what is there before sending a SG probe to it, so we can send them to the systems we want to go to.

^this

After putting a stargate down, you would probably send interplanetary vessels to conduct surveys and such. But long range exploration won't be a trivial task. It will take many months of time to get the tech, then some more time to build the probes, then weeks for the probes to reach another system.

They can always be a slave ... uh hem ... I mean seek employment from other players :D