Construct Creator for Blueprint Design

Bitmouse

On 9/28/2017 at 5:15 AM, blazemonger said:

Creating areas, or Labs if you will, for designers to work and develop should be the responsibility of organizations to set up and maintain/defend/protect. Using a creative mode in a MMO is cheating, plain and simple.

There are ways to remove the cheating aspects. For example limiting the ways in which completed blueprints can be spawned.

It's not cheating to have a design program any more than it is cheating to use CAD or Word to draft concepts.

10 hours ago, GunDeva said:

From  what I remember them saying the owner will have a Master Blue print and can set the leave of permissions that others can have to use your blue prints! Like keeping other players from buying your ship blue print and then trying to sell your designs or mass produce them. 

So if I have a popular design I could possibly sell it to thousands of other players making a killing on in game currency but those players could only use those blue prints for personal use and not mass produce them for sale because of the permissions I have set  on the blue prints I make for other users .

But they may be able to reverse engineer it.

10 hours ago, Lachenlaud said:

I disagree... we don't need to be play-testing with construction in an offline mode pre-launch - we need to be testing the system itself.  At some point I could see the need for being able to flesh out designs and specs for various constructs using alternative methods, but the whole idea of an emergent system is for us to come up with ways to make things happen on our own, not through the intervention of the devs of the game.  We will have the ability to script in lua; to what level we can code remains to be seen, but the system for development needs to come from the players of the game. 

Society didn't get handed a gizmo that they could allow them to plan out their future with no consequences.  We had to figure it out on our own, and from what I've gathered of the concept behind this particular environ we are heading for, its supposed to be US, the players, driving the avatars within the game, who will have to come up with the tools, constructs, and devices needed to survive and succeed using the tools provided for us by the people who sent us off on the ark in the first place (if you want to avoid being OP about it.)

One of the things I love and hate about Empyrion (one of the other games I play) is the fact that there IS the ability for people to whomp something up with no consequences, and then they can toss resources into that offline facility where the item is constructed, and can't be touched by other players and whip it into existence in a heartbeat to be able to utilize it at a whim.  

I get the idea of where you're coming from... I love to be able to build and create and learn from my mistakes, but frankly I, for one, am looking forward to being able to experience everything in-world... consequences, risk, loss, and learning from my mistakes included. 

I think these are all very good points.

This is how blueprints get turned into constructs:

https://dualuniverse.gamepedia.com/Blueprints

https://dualuniverse.gamepedia.com/Industrial_Unit

So it looks like players won't be able to womp things into existence.

The Construct Creator would simply be a design app.

9 hours ago, wizardoftrash said:

Except a risk-free unlimited resource way of producing blueprints decreases the material cost and infrastucture to 0, every joe-shmo can build a blueprint for a stealth bomber or high performance fighter, and with so many blueprints on the market, they become worth nothing.

There is a truth to this. However, how many pieces of paper does it take to draft a document in Word?

6 hours ago, Lethys said:

And as NQ said, it will be added. But probably after release with a patch.

And to me this makes sense because you would only need such a feature for very expensive (=huge) ships. And as such ships won't pop up until way after launch (because of economy), you don't really need such a feature pre-launch

I see what you are saying.

However, there is likely going to emergent best practices in ship design. This is why design/redesign is going to be so important. The Construct Creator makes design less cumbersome.

On 9/28/2017 at 10:42 AM, Bitmouse said:

This isn't about a single player creative mode. It is about a construct design tool integrated into the client.

So this would be like on the server just in your own confined and limited space?

23 minutes ago, Quaken said:

So this would be like on the server just in your own confined and limited space?

I personally don't care what the implementation is. This is just about a tool that allows us to draft, test, and revise constructs. For those that have played robocraft, the robobay and testing area.

Basically a, "MS Word," for our, "Documents," a, "Final Cut Pro," for our, "Videos," etc.

2 hours ago, Bitmouse said:

I personally don't care what the implementation is. This is just about a tool that allows us to draft, test, and revise constructs. For those that have played robocraft, the robobay and testing area.

Basically a, "MS Word," for our, "Documents," a, "Final Cut Pro," for our, "Videos," etc.

You're going to have such a tool... its called the DU client. 

36 minutes ago, Lachenlaud said:

The idea is to be able to do that without expending resources.

Like in MS Word how you edit a document without using paper.

1 hour ago, Lachenlaud said:

OMG! Sorry to barge in here, but another voxel game has a "creative mode"... that lets you go hog wild building whatever you want, and save the blueprints. You can then "spawn" those blueprints in survival game mode, assuming you could acquire all the resources required to build them. I found that mechanic to be crazy fun. I get the feeling it isn't new to this genre.

6 hours ago, Bitmouse said:

The idea is to be able to do that without expending resources.

Like in MS Word how you edit a document without using paper.

Why thank you for that clarification.  I didn't understand what you were saying!  ::whew::  

So let me re-iterate... it is, and in my opinion... should remain... the DU client.  If we don't have to expend resources to develop content.. it is neither immersive nor emergent.  A couple of 'features' I, and many others, are looking forward to in this particular game.  An external (or somehow protected) client, removes such processes from the game, and protects the 'developers and creators' of such items from the consequences that could come along with attempting to develop such items whether they be buildings, weapons, vehicles or what have you and I absolutely hope that we -never- see such a tool with Dual Universe, and am sure that while there are some that might wish otherwise, the creators of -this- game are wise enough to see would be a BAD thing.