DU Laws and Legal Action

Astro_Alphard

I know I'm touching upon an iffy subject but what kind of things do you think should be made laws in DU? 
This thread is for general laws and player protections made by players of DU to ensure quality experiences. 

I was thinking about stargates (a long way off) and wondered what would happen should one be destroyed. Since stargates will inevitably become an integral part of DU's economy I wonder what sort of laws (player made) should be there surrounding these stargates. Should it be ok for an organization to destroy a enemy organization's stargates? Or should stargates be considered inviolable much like the Spacing Guild Highliners of Dune where no warfare can take place within a certain distance of a stargate? 

Understand that laws like this may have to be enacted for the player experience. Laws would protect new players until they got off the ground otherwise larger organizations would squash smaller ones preventing new organizations from forming and prevent people from randomly destroying valuable projects (like stargates) that would be valuable to the whole of the DU community. 

If this is to happen, people could just do something like surround their base with a few stargates (however expensive that may be). 

If players wish to destroy stargates that should be their choice, and if your org can't find the means to defend their assets, then they should have no part in owning those assets.

Honestly, there "should" be no law except the ones you can enforce. Right here, right now.

You can accept some guidelines while playing but that only works until someone with a bigger rock comes along and decides to play by his or hers own laws.

Though that doesn't mean I want to see DU turn into a 24/7 battle royale.

anyone who thinks they can put any building up in DU and leave it without protection is asking for it to be raided.

if you think anyone is going to let you put something up on goodwill for the community ill be there beside the others waiting for the free loot in a single moment of unprotected weakness.

Orgs ca write as many laws as they like, they can have all kinds of laws, guidelines and behavioral laws. But if they haven't got the military power to enforce those laws, everyone will just ignore them. I'd love to see such a city where this works but I highly doubt it.

Many ppl would obey such laws nonetheless, for fun, for rp reasons or whatever. But there will always be that one guy who doesn't and who just wants to see the world burn

To summarize what's been said before:
Laws and agreements spanning over the whole community will with the biggest possibility not be a thing, there's a lot speaking against that.

What I'd like to focus on however, is that laws inside orgs, territories and thus nations and alliances will likely become a standard. Then it's up to those alliances and nations to actively enforce their laws. A member of a nation should not be allowed to destroy property of other citizens. Maybe you can manage that using the RDMS, something like that has been stated before by NQ I believe.
For alliances acting on multiple planets and territories with different orgs and maybe even multiple nations, law enforcement will be more important since then the RDMS would be able to protect small-scale stuff at most.

In that case, the alliance has to provide the means to enforce laws and have its individual members follow them. With the stargate example, there needs to be enough protection for outside threats like pirates or enemy alliances, but through laws and law enforcement, an alliance's members should not be able pose a threat to the stargate.

Other laws may be to prohibit players from killing each other, damage property of other members, restrict them from taking certain territories that are needed for other projects, prohibit corporations to engage in trade with enemy factions and / or known pirate groups, enforce them to pay a set tax (might be handled with RDMS as well), ban citizens from entering warzones or military grounds and regulate harmful interactions with certain people, for example pressuring new players into joining an org or something.

A nation or alliance that sets up these laws will need to enforce them as well. Usual methods would be to seize control over player assets, for example taking their resources or ship if they don't follow the law, financial fines, especially in the economic sector, revoking alliance / nation protection or other advantages, outlawing certain players and orgs for free hunt, bounties and maybe even imprisonment will be a thing in some form.

Like everyone always says: Community wide laws will not exist. People have to follow the TOS and the EULA and that's the extent of the rules. However, I'm sure there will be several rules that are so commonly follow that they may as well be community wide rules. But people will still break them. 

Don't worry about rules for the community. Just find (or make) a group of people who have rules you like and agree with.

What happens when a organization leader violates their own law? Does the org implode? Why should somebody be allowed to do something but not you?

This is why we need nomadic organizations. When you go all diplomatic with these long complex words like "the" and "it" that is when us simple folk get confuseds.

Next thing you know, you gotta follow rules and can't steal your neighbor's dog or money. These "constipations" may give us freedom, but they also limit them.

Are we gonna stand up for Laws or Freedom?

*btw that was sarcasm*