Gold+ Pledge

FD3242

Would you pay 5 extra euros on top of your gold pledge to get a name reservation?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Would you pay 5 extra euros on top of your gold pledge to get a name reservation?

• Yes
    • No
    • I got a free one in the kickstarter.

Please Explain what could possibly be bad about what Bleep_Bloop suggested. I can not think of any.

Individuality, renown, consequences.

No one sees your account ID, I thought it was pretty obvious.  I have no skin in the game... but it would seem to be pretty detrimental just to add a feature that allows you to have a silly name.

If the game is done right you wont need a name reservation. You will have a unique account ID and your character will have whatever name you want it to have.

Maybe but theres only benefits to doing things that way. 

1-You get to please everyone by letting them pick any name

2-You dont see people with numbers in their names for the sake of enjoying some role-play

No, having multiple players who have characters with the same in-game name doesn't bring only benefits, far from it.

While it can viewed as coold feature from a player point of view, it's not for a MMORPG, especially when trading/economy and/or politics are a big part of the gameplay.

What about the problems generated by:

- A player takes the same character name than the character of another player he hates to scam people in-game => Destroy the reputation of the targeted player.

- A player takes the same character name than the character of another player he hates to insult people in-game => Destroy the reputation of the targeted player.

- A player takes the same character name than the character of another player he hates to kill people in-game => Destroy the reputation of the targeted player.

Attempts of impersonating another player through a similar character is forbidden, so the first step to prevent that is to prevent two players to have the same in-game name. Allowing this in a MMORPG, especially in a sandbox one, would be completely irresponsible. This is one of the main reasons why no reknown MMORPG allows such thing.

Best Regards,

Nyzaltar.

No, having multiple players who have characters with the same in-game name doesn't bring only benefits, far from it.

While it can viewed as coold feature from a player point of view, it's not for a MMORPG, especially when trading/economy and/or politics are a big part of the gameplay.

What about the problems generated by:

- A player takes the same character name than the character of another player he hates to scam people in-game => Destroy the reputation of the targeted player.

- A player takes the same character name than the character of another player he hates to insult people in-game => Destroy the reputation of the targeted player.

- A player takes the same character name than the character of another player he hates to kill people in-game => Destroy the reputation of the targeted player.

Attempts of impersonating another player through a similar character is forbidden, so the first step to prevent that is to prevent two players to have the same in-game name. Allowing this in a MMORPG, especially in a sandbox one, would be completely irresponsible. This is one of the main reasons why no reknown MMORPG allows such thing.

Best Regards,

Nyzaltar.

And I don't think it would stop people from naming themselves: "VVVXX--111-YEAHBABY" or "L3thys" . People are....people. If it's possible, people will do it.

I personally don't know any serious MMO which allows this or uses a system with only id tags

Well just look at real life. My name is Ben, there are thousands other people out there with the same name. Does it bother me? Nope. You dont see name reservations in real life except for corporations/brands. It would be realistic to have it that way.

@Lethys It wont stop people from adding numbers in their names if they WANT to. But at least it wont force people to add them if they DONT want to just to have the name they want.

@NQ As for destroying reputations, that wouldnt be possible because you should be able to see the account ID (or at least part of it) in the markets or in chat by clicking on the names to get options like add friend/whisper/party invite etc... And of course if people were aware that all names are not unique they would learn to not lower their esteem of X player based on some shit talk in the chat. Forcing people to think twice before judging wouldnt be that bad after all, dont you think? Problems you mentioned are out of the question ''if done right''.

I know entropia universe offers something close to that by letting players pick a 1-first name 2-middle name 3-last name and allowing to hide/show parts of it. You could have 2 John Doe and easily know who is who by checking the player profile to show the middle name.

I know entropia universe offers something close to that by letting players pick a 1-first name 2-middle name 3-last name and allowing to hide/show parts of it. You could have 2 John Doe and easily know who is who by checking the player profile to show the middle name.

Then they don't have the exact same name....

Well just look at real life. My name is Ben, there are thousands other people out there with the same name. Does it bother me? Nope. You dont see name reservations in real life except for corporations/brands. It would be realistic to have it that way.

@Lethys It wont stop people from adding numbers in their names if they WANT to. But at least it wont force people to add them if they DONT want to just to have the name they want.

@NQ As for destroying reputations, that wouldnt be possible because you should be able to see the account ID (or at least part of it) in the markets or in chat by clicking on the names to get options like add friend/whisper/party invite etc... And of course if people were aware that all names are not unique they would than to lower their esteem of X player based on some shit talk in the chat. Forcing people to think twice before judging wouldnt be that bad after all, dont you think? Problems you mentioned are out of the question ''if done right''.

First in real life people are less likely to do something that might land them in prison. Like lets just say maybe like IDENTITY THEFT!!!

Also do you really expect every player to check.  Let alone remember all of there friends ID's.

Ok, but wouldn't that require a first, second, and third name.  I really do not want to be known as Mefsh Cybrex Bloop.  Just a example.

And of course if people were aware that all names are not unique they would than to lower their esteem of X player based on some shit talk in the chat. Forcing people to think twice before judging wouldnt be that bad after all, dont you think?

Nope...unique != close.

I see the whole name thing just as it is: pledge early if you want your name so you can have it.

I don't really care about my name in-game so I don't really know why this would 've important for anyone in the first place

Of course 2 John Doe wouldnt have the same name but they would be able to show the same name (by hiding the middle name) . And you dont have to remember your friend IDs if you have a friendlist and stuff. Maybe allow players to give their friends nicknames/tags just like with steam friendlist.

Im aware that all this is unlikely to happen since NQ would have to refund all those name reservations. It would have been a nice addition to the game though.