Scripts and Actions - Making city feel Alive

Atlas5

Questions about Scripts & Actions:

If you can mess around with scripts then could you Make a ship you created fly by itself on a path?

I would love to make my city feel more alive and lived in when no one is around by having random ships fly around the parameter of the city or fly through it or something like that. Is this possible?

I imagine it is probably possible to some degree. The problem would be refueling the ships and the fact that scripts only run when in range of a player, so the second you walked away they would fall out of the sky. Plus, if you've got the spare resources to build automated ships and a city, then that city probably won't be empty.

Questions about Scripts & Actions:

If you can mess around with scripts then could you Make a ship you created fly by itself on a path?

I would love to make my city feel more alive and lived in when no one is around by having random ships fly around the parameter of the city or fly through it or something like that. Is this possible?

Well, let me explain this.

Scripts = automation.

Automation 1= self driving vehicles.

Having a ship that can fly on its own, while you go afk on the wheel, yes, that's possible, it's nothing more than a macro command really.

Having a bunch of ships flying around without anyone flying them, not really. It slaps the game's vision across the face. If you made a city without having people who live in it, then... sorry, that's not how cities happen. You need people to actually have a city. 

Imagine public transport that only runs if someone is in the vehicle. Wouldn't we call that person the "driver"?

Jokes aside, automating transport becomes a bit of a logistical problem if the vehicle moves only while people are in it. Maybe the answer is to employ someone to always ride the bus.

Alternatively, if one could have a vehicle on a set of rails and use a call button on either end. If it's built into the game itself, minimal scripting (if any) would be required to make a working system.

Imagine public transport that only runs if someone is in the vehicle. Wouldn't we call that person the "driver"?

Jokes aside, automating transport becomes a bit of a logistical problem if the vehicle moves only while people are in it. Maybe the answer is to employ someone to always ride the bus.

Alternatively, if one could have a vehicle on a set of rails and use a call button on either end. If it's built into the game itself, minimal scripting (if any) would be required to make a working system.

not really, if the range of controlling scripts is enough, the "train" can be rigged to go around in circles i na city , on a certain path (created wby setting up tracks that can be scanned and followed) with the controller being in the center of the city - the controlelr being the person that runs the scripts.

It could work, but only if "drones" are enabled as a thing in the game, which would mean controlling stuff from range, which could be limited, but since we don't know specifics on what's the size of a server instance in the cluster, we can't really determine precisely.

A train, if drones are not allowed ,would need a driver. And hey, as far as AFK money-makers go, a driver is a nice job in a video game. Go AFK, let your toon run the public trasnportation in an city. It's no different than AFK mining in EVE, or doing any other repetitive grinding quest, only you are part of the game world. And let's face it, some RP people will probably do that.

Depends on how script will be handled by the game. If you're the owner of a multicrew ship and you log off, the remaining people will be able to fly it (scripts included, if they have them). Not sure how NQ will implement that, but there may be a way to trade scripts in-game (because it would be quite annoying to do it otherwise). And if that's the case, you could just add inside the taxi the element that let's you download scripts, to make it available for everyone that wants to use that service. Ofc the ship would fall if the scripts ends while it's in air, you just need to provide a platform to land both at the start/end of the trip. In case a client crash or disconnect while flying and the ship falls midflight, there'll probably be a way to automate that process too, as long as the client comes back online. But still depends on how many options NQ will give us (because too many would break the game).