Let's Discuss: ANOMALIES

Kuritho

Ever played STALKER series or the METRO franchise?

Those anomalies.

This could very well make... some implausible engineering feats possible, such as gravity based conveyors, gravity drives, special ammunition...

It WILL be a pain in the ass to code. It WILL be a pain in the ass to make it work, but think:

Fire-Anomaly Refineries...

Electric-Low Output Chargers...

Gravity Weaponry...

New ways to transport stuff...

Depends how NQ handles exploration and if there may be "relic sites"  like in EVE, where you can get some spiffy blueprints out of it (sometimes, I don't know, that's why people do those kinds of explorations in EVE).

It's interesting though how schematics (the Elements' blueprints) will be discovered. Perhaps we even got to buy them from the marketplace like EVE's skillbooks, then as the expansions roll in we get more and more schematics via means of exploration.

For those of us unfamiliar with both STALKER and Metro anomalies, could you tell us a little bit more about what those are?

Allow me to tell you a thing.

Anomalies are freaks of natures, created by the zone by intense radiation due to Chernobyl's Reactor containment error.

The anomalies range from boiling and freezing people who to close, to shredding them, compacting them, simply exploding them if caught in their sphere of influence. Most contain ARTIFACTS, which are special items created by anomalies. These usually take some characteristics after its "birthing anomaly", such as a gravitational artifact (Gravi, Sparkler, ect) reducing weight. Most artifacts produce radiation or/and have a penalty for balance.

That's a brief summary of them. If you wish to know more, tell me.

Anomalies are freaks of natures, created by the zone by intense radiation due to Chernobyl's Reactor containment error.

The anomalies range from boiling and freezing people who to close, to shredding them, compacting them, simply exploding them if caught in their sphere of influence. Most contain ARTIFACTS, which are special items created by anomalies. These usually take some characteristics after its "birthing anomaly", such as a gravitational artifact (Gravi, Sparkler, ect) reducing weight. Most artifacts produce radiation or/and have a penalty for balance.

So basically just random, strange, cool stuff that gives you awesome rare stuff? Sounds cool to me! Only thing about DU is that there are no intelligent aliens, or dev-made constructs. So they would have to be wildlife of sorts, which I guess could work; people have been asking for big game to be in the... game. I could see it working out.

So basically just random, strange, cool stuff that gives you awesome rare stuff? Sounds cool to me! Only thing about DU is that there are no intelligent aliens, or dev-made constructs. So they would have to be wildlife of sorts, which I guess could work; people have been asking for big game to be in the... game. I could see it working out.

Some anomalies do move, so yeah... woo! Wildlife that is not life!

(Off topic)

Down with Chernobyl! Aliens are better. I don't know why the game changed the setting from UFO landing to Chernobyl it's rude to make such differeces between the source material and the game.

(On topic)

If we can think a cause for the anomalies to appear it's a great idea. I'm a fan of S.T.A.L.K.E.R and Roadside Picknick too.

I would make much more sense with a science system in place. so a faulty experiment (by players) could be used as a source (just like a Chernobyl research lab in the game).

(Off topic)

Down with Chernobyl! Aliens are better. I don't know why the game changed the setting from UFO landing to Chernobyl it's rude to make such differeces between the source material and the game.

(On topic)

If we can think a cause for the anomalies to appear it's a great idea. I'm a fan of S.T.A.L.K.E.R and Roadside Picknick too.

I would make much more sense with a science system in place. so a faulty experiment (by players) could be used as a source (just like a Chernobyl research lab in the game).

Lets see if we combine this old meatloaf and this super-conductor...

The fuck? Its moving?

OH GOD ITS GOT ME! FUCKEN RUN GUYS!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Couldn't people try to forceable make them to get these weapons of destruction though? Maybe certain areas have an "Anomaly Charge", where anomalies can be made in them. If a science lab builds near one, they then could get anomalies.

I'd also love to see them spread like wild-fire, bringing huge emissions (For non-STALKER players, emissions are created by the zone, coming in waves, wiping anything outside of cover) if left uncontained...

But how would you destroyed anomalies? Bring its exact opposite element to it? (Fire Anomalies removed with water, electric ones by freezing them to absolute zero, gravity ones by removing all extreme dense materials from it?)

Lets see if we combine this old meatloaf and this super-conductor...

The fuck? Its moving?

OH GOD ITS GOT ME! FUCKEN RUN GUYS!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Couldn't people try to forceable make them to get these weapons of destruction though? Maybe certain areas have an "Anomaly Charge", where anomalies can be made in them. If a science lab builds near one, they then could get anomalies.

I'd also love to see them spread like wild-fire, bringing huge emissions (For non-STALKER players, emissions are created by the zone, coming in waves, wiping anything outside of cover) if left uncontained...

But how would you destroyed anomalies? Bring its exact opposite element to it? (Fire Anomalies removed with water, electric ones by freezing them to absolute zero, gravity ones by removing all extreme dense materials from it?)

They could not use  them as weapons cause anomalies would be hard to contain ( if possible at all). How would you transport a gravitational anomaly?

And if the attackers manage to create anomalies at the target anomalies then that will be clearly the defenders' fault.

I like the Anomaly charge idea it would make the scientists move from area to area but it makes no sense if the only use of this is destroying your own base. so people who delve in anomaly research should get great rewards.

High risk / High reward.

The Killer Meatloaf strikes!

They could not use  them as weapons cause anomalies would be hard to contain ( if possible at all). How would you transport a gravitational anomaly?

And if the attackers manage to create anomalies at the target anomalies then that will be clearly the defenders' fault.

I like the Anomaly charge idea it would make the scientists move from area to area but it makes no sense if the only use of this is destroying your own base. so people who delve in anomaly research should get great rewards.

High risk / High reward.

The Killer Meatloaf strikes!

It'd be pretty cool to have a Meatloaf anomaly named after this thread.

Anomalies most likely come from a logical birthing point e.g. fire near higher temperature. If you were to remove its source (gravity would have hyper-dense gas in the middle, creating gravity. Extracting it would give both the anomaly AND the hyper-dense gas) the anomaly would either extinguish or be collected in a extremely strong 

Polytetrafluoroethylene (see also: basically invincible plastic) container.

The High Risk-High Reward would come from artifacts.

I really like the idea of emissions though coming from a advanced, complex SPOILER:

Man-made

anomaly.

Time to Organize:

• Anomalies can only be made near areas with a great anomaly charge.
  • Anomaly charge is to prevent abuse and mass-manufacturing.
  • Anomaly charge is randomly generated and seems to shift. Higher concentrations of Humans increase charge to induce an accident, requiring the somebody to drain it the area of anomaly charge.
  • Anomalies can spread.
  • Anomalies have lifetimes (The more severe an anomaly is, the less its lifetime. An EMISSION anomaly lasts only 30 minutes, but regenerates. A gravity one has a lifetime of about a week, a pyro-anomaly about 3 days, ect)
  • Anomalies can be extinguished by opposite elements (fire vs ice, acid vs base)
  • Anomalies have great benefits to manufacturing

I think that finding unique areas would be awesome. However I don't like quantifying it to a single thing, anomaly charge. So I feel finding an area where gravity is messed up yes, being able to know where it would show up or even worse create it I think no. Kind of like an asteroid belt, you can hide in an asteroid belt and use it. So yea an anomaly that takes out sensors or screws up communication static whatever would be cool, but I would leave them as a natural sort of thing that can be useful.