Self Destruct & Booby Traps

Self destruct capability might seem like a good idea but it could actually make the job of pirates close to impossible. Quickly, people will understand that a self destruct system is a must to avoid pirates trying to loot them for profit, and that would kill the pirating gameplay. One possibility would be to provide pirates with a self-destruct scrambler that they should use prior to any attack. We would like to have your feedback on this! In any case, this would be a post-release feature that we could introduce in an expansion.

I started this topic since this was one of my questions asked.

Ideas on how this would work:

1:  Put explosives on/in a container, as a trap, exploding the container and damaging/killing the person who sets it off

2:  Trapped container's explosion does, or does not destroy what was in the container.

3:  Trapping your "ship" to either explode when button is pushed, or have explosives set to explode when ship is destroyed (like corbomite from Tradewars 2002)

4:  Trapped "ships" explosion does, or does not destroy cargo, an/or the attacker.

5:  Has traps/mines that explode with tripwire, remote, or pressure.

I understand your concern with killing the pirate game play, but some possible solutions to this would be:

1:  Scanners/scramblers that detect the explosives.

2:  As a pirate do not completely destroying the ship to pirate, but merely disable it to board.

3:  Make the explosive/corbomite expensive to add.

Also in defense of doing this, if a player can suicide, why shouldn't a player be able to destroy his own object/resources?  Traps/mines are a common offensive/defensive mechanic used in a lot of military actions.  I guess for me it goes against everything I know to allow someone the ability to damage and put holes in my stuff, but then not allow me to also rig my stuff to explode ;)  Also as the Tradewars 2002 connection, there was a lot of pirating in that game, a lot of people didn't use corbomite because of the cost, but the smart pirates still always attacked to capture instead of destroy just in case.  So even though there was the possibility of not only losing the loot, but also blowing yourself up, it was rarely seen in game.

This should be possible using Scripts as well. I had discussed in the "player proximity for scripts" thread, where scripts will run if any player is close enough to them. This will allow players to build things like Scripted Minefields, a construct that simply runs a script where any unauthorized ship that is close enough to receive splash damage will trigger them to explode, and possibly even trigger a message to be sent to the mine's owner that it went off (so that the owner of the minefield can inspect the wreckage).

If there are explosive charges or blocks in the game that can be detonated with scripts, you could have a self-destruct script that goes off any time someone attempts to hack your loot boxes, or any time an unauthorized player attempts to access your cargo, even any time your ship is nearly disabled or destroyed (like a doomed titan in titanfall).There would have to be a way around it, for example the pirate would have to destroy or disable the element where the scripts are stored and run before trying to loot your ship/crate.

Here is another trick though, we might find that destroyed ships/boxes/constructs drop a portion of their contents and resources on destruction, sort of how a player will drop a portion of their inventory on death. This might make piracy profitable anyway, just less-so.

I really have nothing against the whole self-destruct thing, if the ship is filled with valuable cargo, it's not only the pirate that's missing out on great loot if the ship and cargo self-destructs, but also the owner having no chance of getting the stuff back. 

Also i'm a huge fan of the scripted minefield idea, imagine the applications, and possible ways of, with great hassle mind you, circumventing it.

I really have nothing against the whole self-destruct thing, if the ship is filled with valuable cargo, it's not only the pirate that's missing out on great loot if the ship and cargo self-destructs, but also the owner having no chance of getting the stuff back. 

Also i'm a huge fan of the scripted minefield idea, imagine the applications, and possible ways of, with great hassle mind you, circumventing it.

Any good defense has countermeasures, but having script-activated mines or stationary defenses allows an org to "control" passage through an area of space without actually owning a TU there. Assuming players aren't limited in how many constructs they can each own, an org could scatter a bunch of simple scripted space-mines that don't pop on org members, or floating turrets that ping an org member when they run out of ammo through a script.

Plus pirates could also use this tool to sabotage major trade-routes. Mines all over a trade rout would be a whole lot of wrecked or damaged freighters. If they implement a jump-drive mechanic, jumping through space might circumvent space mines, but on the flip side placing the mines where players tend to drop out of warp would be hella effective.

Mines all over a trade route in space sounds cool. But I'm not sure if its a good investment.

Space is big and you cant mine a complete 360 bubble...well you could but I'm not sure if its worth the time and money.

You wouldn't set mines in a whole bubble, you would set them in a popular LANE of trade. For example if people are consistently transporting toods from Planet A to planet X for a profit, you've got a straight shot where you could place mines at several points to catch merchants. This would get even easier with Stargates, as you could simply plop mines in a zone at the gate's end-point. Players use a gate to jump, can't detect mines from that distance, and they drop out of warp into a minefield. good times :)

~Not a pirate player by the way, just considering how this could benefit an ORG

Hmmm yes I understand it when you talk about lanes. Like incoming traffic from the space highway.

I'm just wondering if it will work out like that. Because you could approach from any direction. And JC said that stargates wont be a bottle neck situation like in Eve. Of course I'm sure there will be popular time/fuel effective routes.

Yea why not....;)

Ps: also not a pirate. Prospecting and mining is my game. Although I would love a side occupation as diplomat.

You wouldn't set mines in a whole bubble, you would set them in a popular LANE of trade. For example if people are consistently transporting toods from Planet A to planet X for a profit, you've got a straight shot where you could place mines at several points to catch merchants. This would get even easier with Stargates, as you could simply plop mines in a zone at the gate's end-point. Players use a gate to jump, can't detect mines from that distance, and they drop out of warp into a minefield. good times :)

~Not a pirate player by the way, just considering how this could benefit an ORG

I always fly off the lane when hauling and so does every other competent hauler in games where there are pirates. You move a distance across your intended path and then fly to a point near but not at your target and come in on an unexpected vector. You can never predict which line I'll be on.

Most people will just be lazy and use the direct path - so even in a seamless universe there will be kind of lanes.

the balance has to be good on this one:

- pirates should get their chance in looting people

- haulers/miners/PVE/whatever should get a chance to avoid being looted

I have been thinking about this idea a bit too. My brother and I are going to be building a few one-off ships, it would be nice to know we could keep the design from becoming the property of some pirate if we get overpowered.

Another alternative might be some sort of computer module that is separate from the main controls and concealed somewhere on the ship. You could have it emit a locating beacon on command, and maybe also immobilize the ship by confusing the main computer.

That would allow you to find a ship that was taken, and leave it vulnerable to recapture. Of course, the pirates could have tech that disables it, but they would have to find it first!