Pre release building demo

FD3242

I really hope they release a demo where you can just build in a void I think this would help keep the community active over the development time.

I dont know about any pre-release system for this. But there will be a virtual reality system in game you can go into to build and test constructs before creating them in game. Essentially a god/admin mode for creations. 

I dont know about any pre-release system for this. But there will be a virtual reality system in game you can go into to build and test constructs before creating them in game. Essentially a god/admin mode for creations. 

I know about that i was hoping they would be able to release that before the actual game to keep people interested. At the least a dumbed-down version.

I know about that i was hoping they would be able to release that before the actual game to keep people interested. At the least a dumbed-down version.

Well there will be the beta release. But I dont think they intend to let you keep any designs you make. The virtual build system may not even be hashed out for Alpha, and furthermore bugs will be worked out during alpha for any features that are implementing. 

I think pushing them to create a standalond of the virtual build system early would take development away from the game and cost them funds. One possible route if they chose to do this would be to charge a few bucks for it, like $10, so it pays for the development and possibly gives some funds for the development of the rest of the game. 

But even still, I would think this would be done after Alpha as they need testers on anything they are putting out. 

Well there will be the beta release. But I dont think they intend to let you keep any designs you make. The virtual build system may not even be hashed out for Alpha, and furthermore bugs will be worked out during alpha for any features that are implementing. 

I think pushing them to create a standalond of the virtual build system early would take development away from the game and cost them funds. One possible route if they chose to do this would be to charge a few bucks for it, like $10, so it pays for the development and possibly gives some funds for the development of the rest of the game. 

But even still, I would think this would be done after Alpha as they need testers on anything they are putting out. 

I do no think your getting my point. They need something to keep there community active because at some point people are going to get bored of game play trailers and interviews so they will start to forget the game. It would be worth it because of the amount of players they would save/bring in.  It could also re-insure a lot of people that the game technology works. Charging 10 or so dollars for it is fine with me.

I agree it would be cool, but I'd rather they focus on getting the alpha and beta released. The only reason people would want to build ships without the ability to fly them would be if they knew they would be carried over into the actual release. They will likely be making modifications to the voxel construction and elements over the course of the alpha so they wouldn't be able to guarantee that peoples designs could be carried over.

I agree it would be cool, but I'd rather they focus on getting the alpha and beta released. The only reason people would want to build ships without the ability to fly them would be if they knew they would be carried over into the actual release. They will likely be making modifications to the voxel construction and elements over the course of the alpha so they wouldn't be able to guarantee that peoples designs could be carried over.

Well that is understandable. But i still think it would be more beneficial then not. We really do not know how hard it would be to make it. It might only take them a few hours but it might also take weeks in witch case probably better to just work on the full game.

I'm afraid the earliest we'll be able to play is when the Alpha begins, and that is only available to those who either backed the Kickstarter to gain access to the Alpha or earned it by contributing to the forums and the game. (Such as myself and 49 others) 

Even if you did get access to the Alpha, you're not going to spend your time playing. The point of the Alpha is to allow a few dedicated members of the game's community (who have shown that they want to help) to test the game. To find bugs for the devs to fix, to test out features and playability. To suggest changes and improvements. Alpha's purpose is to improve the game, not for players to get in early and enjoy it. Sure, while you are helping the developers out, you will likely enjoy it. I certainly will. However, I won't be messing around, I'll be helping as much as I can.

I'm afraid the earliest we'll be able to play is when the Alpha begins, and that is only available to those who either backed the Kickstarter to gain access to the Alpha or earned it by contributing to the forums and the game. (Such as myself and 49 others) 

Even if you did get access to the Alpha, you're not going to spend your time playing. The point of the Alpha is to allow a few dedicated members of the game's community (who have shown that they want to help) to test the game. To find bugs for the devs to fix, to test out features and playability. To suggest changes and improvements. Alpha's purpose is to improve the game, not for players to get in early and enjoy it. Sure, while you are helping the developers out, you will likely enjoy it. I certainly will. However, I won't be messing around, I'll be helping as much as I can.

I am not asking for a full game demo I am asking for a part of it a part that from the looks of it is complete enough to show the public. Just the building part nun of the components need to work they do not need to have the planets not even working ships or anything else really just a empty void where you can mess around with the voxel theology something to keep the player base active while the actual game develops. I do not see why this would not be possible. Sorry if i sound a little mad its just that when ever i post a idea it is immediately thrown away.

I do no think your getting my point. They need something to keep there community active because at some point people are going to get bored of game play trailers and interviews so they will start to forget the game. It would be worth it because of the amount of players they would save/bring in.  It could also re-insure a lot of people that the game technology works. Charging 10 or so dollars for it is fine with me.

I get what you are asking. And thats what Beta can be to those who need it. 

But what you are suggesting will not demonstrate their new technology, just the build system. There are other games out there you can play to get a feel for what they are doing. Look at things like Landmark, Planet Explorers, Empyrion. Sure DU will be unique, but its not a groundbreaking build system. What is new is the way it will handle player interactions, which wont be demonstrated in a void build system. 

I get what you are asking. And thats what Beta can be to those who need it. 

But what you are suggesting will not demonstrate their new technology, just the build system. There are other games out there you can play to get a feel for what they are doing. Look at things like Landmark, Planet Explorers, Empyrion. Sure DU will be unique, but its not a groundbreaking build system. What is new is the way it will handle player interactions, which wont be demonstrated in a void build system. 

That's not why i think it be a good idea for them to do it. I think it would bring in a lot of new players and help keep people active while we wait for that beta. Again if its a good idea depends on how long it would take to make.  Also a lot of people do not know voxel building is not a new thing in fact i have seen more people worried that the voxel building will not work then the server technology

That's not why i think it be a good idea for them to do it. I think it would bring in a lot of new players and help keep people active while we wait for that beta. Again if its a good idea depends on how long it would take to make.  Also a lot of people do not know voxel building is not a new thing in fact i have seen more people worried that the voxel building will not work then the server technology

The game release is 2years+ from now, it's not a good idea to keep the hype up, but to raise it a couple of months before release. The actual hype only serves for the kickstarter campaign. A demo isn't going to keep people happy for 2 years. And if you really want it, buy a gold founder pack, and you'll be able to play from when the alpha starts, q1 2017.